What to check in an outdoor WIFI antenna ?

Mouchoir

Hello LTT community !

I am looking for an outdoor antenna for my parent's propriety : there is several houses (and fields and a pool..) and they wish to be able to get a good signal everywhere.

They asked me for help since I'm a tech enthusiast but I don't know anything about networks.

Thanks to the latest Techquickie video,

I think I should be looking for a router that allows WiFi 6 and mesh ?

Could you help me with the selection by telling me what are the main characteristics I should take into account for picking such an antenna ? Some that I have seen by TP-Link or Netgear have a 200m range, which seems a bit low to me.

I don't know if that changes anything but I live in France :D

Thank you very much for your help !

check out the channel CrosstalkSolutions.

what you will need by sound if it.

is directional antennas and access points.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I recently completed a project similar to this using ubiquiti gear. I bought a dream machine pro special edition, the ran Ethernet to a Poe switch in a barn that branched out to 4 outdoor access points. I recommend using wired connections whenever possible, and mesh when wired isn't feasible. Ubiquity Access points can run in either mode.

Hello,

Thank you both for your answer. I will definitly check the channel, hopefully they will explain what are the major things to look for when starting such a project.

if anyone has further indications, they are welcome 🙂

On 11/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, Mouchoir said:

there is several houses (and fields and a pool..) and they wish to be able to get a good signal everywhere.

This sounds like a big project that will require more than just advice from a forum like this...

On 11/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, Mouchoir said:

They asked me for help since I'm a tech enthusiast but I don't know anything about networks.

... which is all the more reason why I would recommend you or your parents get a consultation from a local networking solutions firm to see what is required.

I love CrossTalk Solutions, but the information provided is geared more to people who have some idea of what they're doing and are somewhat familiar with not just the hardware side of things, but also the SDN side.