Sudden system wide behavior while gaming.

Neko Yumi
Go to solution Solved by Neko Yumi,
1 hour ago, Gazereths said:

Well good luck to your friend I hope it get's it sorted. Report back either way 🙂

Update !

My friend has changed his graphics card from 1070Ti to a GTX660 changed drivers and succesfully played a game of fortnite for now. Seems like atm it is indeed his graphics card..

Driver being used : 473.81

Hello guys, i would like to help my friend solve this issue they're having while gaming

hardware :

ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming

Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti

Intel Core i7 8700k 3.70GHz 6 core

Cooler Master GX Bronze 750W 80 Bronze PLUS

2x 8GB RAM

This happens with most games, after a few minutes ( in some other games, even during the launch ) both of their screens turn black, CPU fan ramps to basically max and lose audio.

After a few seconds, the audio comes back but still no monitor response nothing can be done except restarting the system.

Stress testing the GPU with a program called OCCT reveals an instant crash at the start of said stress test.

Reinstalling drivers with DDU yields results, managing to restore the system  integrity for a few hours and then the whole scenario comes back.

Updating directX & other software relating to the GPU did not solve the issue.

What more could be done? Any possible sources to investigate? We're both at a stalemate here.

Edited by Neko Yumi
updated PSU spec

Have you tried an underclock of the GPU to see if that solves it? If it does it could point to a dying GPU. Do you have any other parts you can swap in and out to help narrow it down?

What exact model PSU is it?

Edited by Gazereths
spelling

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

9 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Have you tried an underclock of the GPU to see if that solves it? If it does it could point to a dying GPU. Do you have any other parts you can swap in and out to help narrow it down?

What exact model PSU is it?

Cooler Master GX Bronze 750W 80 Bronze PLUS  post has been updated to reflect this.

He hasn't tried underclocking, would you have any resource to be able to do so easily just to test this out?

possibly will try to do some GPU swap if he has one, will keep the post updated if that happens.

THANK YOU for answering!

1 minute ago, Neko Yumi said:

THANK YOU for answering!

No problem.

MSI Afterburner is probably the best known and easiest software to adjust clocks etc on a GPU, just a few sliders to adjust core clock, power limit, memory clocks etc.

If there's another system you could try the same stress test on the 1070ti it could also be helpful, maybe drop it in your system?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

10 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

No problem.

MSI Afterburner is probably the best known and easiest software to adjust clocks etc on a GPU, just a few sliders to adjust core clock, power limit, memory clocks etc.

If there's another system you could try the same stress test on the 1070ti it could also be helpful, maybe drop it in your system?

Oh my god how did i not think of MSI afterburner i use it myself ._.

Unfortunately we're online friends, i am simply sharing his problem around to help him out.

No systems and parts around from what he's aware of to do testing which is really unfortunate.

He's currently trying to get the sliders to the minimum see if it even passes the stress test this way.

EDIT : using MSI afterburner, with both memory & core clocks all the way down to minimum his system still crashed.

Edited by Neko Yumi
result of MSI afterburner

It could also be a dodgy PSU, not done too much research on that model, but it advertises plenty of power on the 12v rail for a 1070ti. Not that I think it's a particularly good PSU by the looks of it.

Just now, Gazereths said:

It could also be a dodgy PSU, not done too much research on that model, but it advertises plenty of power on the 12v rail for a 1070ti.

The system is quite old and used, i wouldn't doubt some instability being shown due to this. It does indeed though.

Following that underclock test, i am starting to really question the motherboard myself due to the description of the problem however DDU fixes this somewhat.. this is why it confused my initial hypothesis.

48 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

Hello guys, i would like to help my friend solve this issue they're having while gaming

hardware :

ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming

Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti

Intel Core i7 8700k 3.70GHz 6 core

Cooler Master GX Bronze 750W 80 Bronze PLUS

2x 8GB RAM

This happens with most games, after a few minutes ( in some other games, even during the launch ) both of their screens turn black, CPU fan ramps to basically max and lose audio.

After a few seconds, the audio comes back but still no monitor response nothing can be done except restarting the system.

Stress testing the GPU with a program called OCCT reveals an instant crash at the start of said stress test.

Reinstalling drivers with DDU yields results, managing to restore the system  integrity for a few hours and then the whole scenario comes back.

Updating directX & other software relating to the GPU did not solve the issue.

What more could be done? Any possible sources to investigate? We're both at a stalemate here.

Looks like fast overheating... Did you check temps ?

A 1080ti is old enough to have reached clean+repaste stage

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

So it still crashed when underclocked? He didn't lower the power limit at the same time did he? Keep power limit at 100 and drop core clock a few 100MHz would be my initial test. And yeah as @PDifolco said check temps also.

9 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Looks like fast overheating... Did you check temps ?

A 1080ti is old enough to have reached clean+repaste stage

The card barely has anytime to heat up that it immediately crashes so it cannot be overheating.

This is very true though ( btw 1070Ti not 1080Ti. )

9 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

So it still crashed when underclocked? He didn't lower the power limit at the same time did he? Keep power limit at 100 and drop core clock a few 100MHz would be my initial test. And yeah as @PDifolco said check temps also.

He kept the power limit at 100 ( under the fans section ) and put both the memory & core clock at the lowest value MSI afterburner slider let him do.

And it still crashed during the same stress test using OCCT.

BTW launching fortnite now immediately causes the system to undergo the same issue.

DDU helps but barely for a bit before causing the same issue.

Edited by Neko Yumi
clarification of power limit section & fortnite addition.

Well without spare parts to switch in and out it's gonne be difficult, but all points to a dead or dying GPU (or possibly a bad PSU) imho. Was there any driver update that caused this sudden problem? Tried rolling back to an older driver?

1 minute ago, Gazereths said:

Well without spare parts to switch in and out it's gonne be difficult, but all points to a dead or dying GPU (or possibly a bad PSU) imho. Was there any driver update that caused this sudden problem? Tried rolling back to an older driver?

I agree with that it'll be difficult.

Any driver to cherry pick or just roll back to previous one or ?

11 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

The card barely has anytime to heat up that it immediately crashes so it cannot be overheating.

This is very true though ( btw 1070Ti not 1080Ti. )

He kept the power limit at 100 ( under the fans section ) and put both the memory & core clock at the lowest value MSI afterburner slider let him do.

And it still crashed during the same stress test using OCCT.

BTW launching fortnite now immediately causes the system to undergo the same issue.

DDU helps but barely for a bit before causing the same issue.

But at least you should be able to see idle temps when booting before launching any game or benchmark, or using Chrome, wallpaper, or any other low GPU usage software

Anything above 30C and rising will indicate bad/faulty cooling

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Well just go back to the previous one and start backwards there, but TBH it's a long shot. Is he on the lastest one? 526.98 I believe.  I did have a bugged driver a few updates back, but all that caused was Cyberpunk to aftifact on the in-game map. 522.25 IIRC

8700k has an iGPU correct? Not sure if there are many games that will run on that, but might be worth a shot to see if the system still crashes with the 1070ti removed and using the iGPU......It could confirm or eliminate the issue as the 1070ti

9 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

But at least you should be able to see idle temps when booting before launching any game or benchmark, or using Chrome, wallpaper, or any other low GPU usage software

Anything above 30C and rising will indicate bad/faulty cooling

Unfortunately he does have 38-40 degrees shown with OCCT with steam, discord, epic, logitech GHUB in the background not doing anything.

8 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Well just go back to the previous one and start backwards there, but TBH it's a long shot. Is he on the lastest one? 526.98 I believe.  I did have a bugged driver a few updates back, but all that caused was Cyberpunk to aftifact on the in-game map.

8700k has an iGPU correct? Not sure if there are many games that will run on that, but might be worth a shot to see if the system still crashes with the 1070ti removed and using the iGPU......It could confirm or eliminate the issue as the 1070ti

Yes he is currently on the 526.98 updated yesterday/this morning. He is going to test the integrated graphics solution.

Thank you both so far.

EDIT : Although i am kinda confused as to the GPU solution because when it works.. it works well. He is able to play games like league of legends rocket league and even emulate using retroarch normally and even multitasking using it and a game at the same time

Edited by Neko Yumi
more reasoning.

With the temps siuation it can depend on the ambient tempreture of the room, case airflow etc, so just saying 30 degrees or 40 degrees doesn't really mean much. The difference between the ambient temp and the temp of the component, or (ΔT) Delta T, is a more useful way to check the actual increase of a components temp. Either way the GPU should thermally throttle itself (lower clocks and power draw) before it's gets near to a crash.

With all the games you mentioned they are pretty easy, low stress games to run which won't put a huge load on the GPU (depending on the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor) LoL and Rocket League can run on potato grade PC's. I think emulation generally put's more load on the CPU from what I remember.

1 minute ago, Gazereths said:

With the temps siuation it can depend on the ambient tempreture of the room, case airflow etc, so just saying 30 degrees or 40 degrees doesn't really mean much. The difference between the ambient temp and the temp of the component, or (ΔT) Delta T, is a more useful way to check the actual increase of a components temp.

With all the games you mentioned they are pretty easy, low stress games to run which won't put a huge load on the GPU (depending on the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor) LoL and Rocket League can run on potato grade PC's. I think emulation generally put's more load on the CPU from what I remember.

I am aware they are easy to run i was trying to find a game that was higher GPU intensive than these but he did not play them much recently. Hence more of a reason why the GPU is more of a surprise to me that it's the issue.

Emulation does put more stress IMO too.

After some difficulties the test of IGPU will be made later in the night

he actually has had the issue repeating by simply watching someone else's screenshare on discord.

So it still crashes when running those games? I must have misunderstood you.

Maybe a demo of a more GPU intensive game could be useful for testing if he doesn't have any that he owns. I think there's a Hitman 3 demo iirc.

4 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

After some difficulties the test of IGPU will be made later in the night

he actually has had the issue repeating by simply watching someone else's screenshare on discord.

Well good luck to your friend I hope it get's it sorted. Report back either way 🙂

3 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

So it still crashes when running those games? I must have misunderstood you.

Maybe a demo of a more GPU intensive game could be useful for testing if he doesn't have any that he owns. I think there's a Hitman 3 demo iirc.

yes it does, the stress test too even launching some games is enough to cause the issue to happen.

2 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Thank you i will definetly keep this post updated and will tag you for more.

1 hour ago, Gazereths said:

Update !

My friend has changed his graphics card from 1070Ti to a GTX660 changed drivers and succesfully played a game of fortnite for now. Seems like atm it is indeed his graphics card..

Driver being used : 473.81

6 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

Update !

Yeah seems like it, a shame as the 660 is far below the 1070. Maybe worth stripping the 1070 down, deep clean and repaste.

4 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Yeah seems like it, a shame as the 660 is far below the 1070. Maybe worth stripping the 1070 down, deep clean and repaste.

We shall see about that, it's uh.. not really into our skills to get into dissassembling a GPU and repasting it.

Just now, Neko Yumi said:

We shall see about that, it's uh.. not really into our skills to get into dissassembling a GPU and repasting it.

It's really not difficult, but I understand your trepidation. That being said it's a perfect opportunity to gain experience, you can't break the card any more than it is already.

Alternatively sell it on ebay as faulty (clearly explaining the issues) and put that towards a new GPU.