Subwoofer not playing on new avr

Drizzt

I bought an integra drx7. For some reason I can't get my subwoofer working. I have the configuration set to 2.1, and I have the cables setup as shown in the pictures. High pass is set to 80 for the subwoofer, and cross over is set to 80hz on the receiver. I know the sub works as I've used it for years on another avr.

I am a bit frustrated at this after trying many different things. Is there anything wrong with this setup?

I double checked to make sure the subwoofer is powered on, connection is secure etc. Also tried setting thr svr to 2.2 and trying the second subwoofer out. How can I get my sub working?

20221113_142129.jpg

20221113_142100.jpg

20221113_142117.jpg

20221113_143421.jpg

Connections and crossover looks right. 

There are two possible reasons I could think for your issue: Your front speaker is set to Large, or the sound mode is set to Direct. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

16 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

Connections and crossover looks right. 

There are two possible reasons I could think for your issue: Your front speaker is set to Large, or the sound mode is set to Direct. 

I have it set to 2.1 sterio mode. I don't see an option for large/small front speakers.

2 minutes ago, billbill said:

Try using both RCA outputs for the sub signal into the sub inputs.

I tried both outputs and inputs and no sound.

1 hour ago, Drizzt said:

I bought an integra drx7. For some reason I can't get my subwoofer working. I have the configuration set to 2.1, and I have the cables setup as shown in the pictures. High pass is set to 80 for the subwoofer, and cross over is set to 80hz on the receiver. I know the sub works as I've used it for years on another avr.

I am a bit frustrated at this after trying many different things. Is there anything wrong with this setup?

I double checked to make sure the subwoofer is powered on, connection is secure etc. Also tried setting thr svr to 2.2 and trying the second subwoofer out. How can I get my sub working?

You need to flip the switch on the sub from "High level" to "normal".

Also ensure that the gain is turnt up in the subwoofers menu, and on the AVR's menu.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

18 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

You need to flip the switch on the sub from "High level" to "normal".

Also ensure that the gain is turnt up in the subwoofers menu, and on the AVR's menu.

I tried this and there was no effect. I also tried hooking my pc up to the avr and to the sub and it wouldn't play.

25 minutes ago, Drizzt said:

I tried this and there was no effect. I also tried hooking my pc up to the avr and to the sub and it wouldn't play.

Could you try hooking the sub up directly to your PC if you have a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

It'd be good to figure out what exactly is the issue.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Update: I felt the subwoofer driver and it has the faintest vibration to it when playing music. Nothing audible but it is receiving some signal. I turned up the amp on the sub and still no sound.

1 minute ago, Drizzt said:

Update: I felt the subwoofer driver and it has the faintest vibration to it when playing music. Nothing audible but it is receiving some signal. I turned up the amp on the sub and still no sound.

I'd totally remove any crossover settings you have for the subwoofer, check the gain in the menu on the subwoofer (-1dB is loud, -100dB is quiet), check the gain on the AVR aswell.

21 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I'd totally remove any crossover settings you have for the subwoofer, check the gain in the menu on the subwoofer (-1dB is loud, -100dB is quiet), check the gain on the AVR aswell.

I got it to play after taking off all cross over settings, and turning double bass on on the avr.

Ideally I would like a lowpass on my main speakers and the sub to play at 80. I suspect the signal from the avr was just extremely weak when I tried this initially as I still felt vibration. I will have to try turning up the gain on the avr side as the the sub is set to 0. Thanks for the help.

Still not working as I would like but at least it's functioning.

Welcome to the world of frustration. Your problem here is you are likely not using surround sound sources. You basically need something that actually has an LFE channel for the subwoofer to work. Otherwise, if you want to mix the bass and redirect the frequencies below the crossover, you would think this just happens, but it doesn't... you basically need to set the receiver to a pseudo surround sound, like Dolby Surround.

Are you connecting the PC to the receiver with HDMI?

I'm suspecting turning down the gain on the main speakers and up on the sub might balance it out. This sub hit extremely hard on my previous avr and I can barely hear it even now.

26 minutes ago, Drizzt said:

I got it to play after taking off all cross over settings, and turning double bass on on the avr.

Ideally I would like a lowpass on my main speakers and the sub to play at 80. I suspect the signal from the avr was just extremely weak when I tried this initially as I still felt vibration. I will have to try turning up the gain on the avr side as the the sub is set to 0. Thanks for the help.

Still not working as I would like but at least it's functioning.

Are the front speakers set to "Full band"? They shouldn't be when using a subwoofer.

Turning "Double Bass" on makes both the subwoofer and speakers produce bass.

Also, try pressing "Q" on the AVR's remote to access the quick settings, check if the tone control is set to neutral.

Also check the tone controls on the front of the AVR aren't set weirdly.

Set front speakers to "bass managed" or "small"

try playing a bass sweep. You can find them on youtube. 

If you have a weak subwoofer that only goes to 50Hz you might not hear it if you're testing at 40Hz for example. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

I have the issue figured out. I increased the gain on the sub it was set extremely low be default and I also enabled dual bass. I will run the initial setup to get my system tuned for my room and it should solve any further issues.

2 hours ago, Drizzt said:

I have the issue figured out. I increased the gain on the sub it was set extremely low be default and I also enabled dual bass. I will run the initial setup to get my system tuned for my room and it should solve any further issues.

I would attempt to get a setup that works with Dual Bass turned off, as the mains will be still playing bass this way. It removes one of the main benefits of having a subwoofer, which is to reduce distortion from the mains.

22 hours ago, Drizzt said:

Turn off double bass as a rule of thumb.
Enable bass management on your speakers (often by setting them to small)

If you feel a need for more bass then consider adding a (modest) custom EQ curve or just change the subwoofer's level AFTER calibration. If you're combatting room nulls right around the crossover point, EQ that area (1-2 dB) and consider a second subwoofer (also play with phase settings). 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800