One burning question on my mind aboud LG C2 42" being OLED

Elyss

Hi guys,

So, I've taken the step to buy a LG C2 42 as my main PC monitor (and it's awesome btw).

But, I know OLED screens tend to burn in. Or tended ? Is this a thing not to worry too much anymore theses days, or do I need to  take some protective measures ?

I wonder about stupid things like :

• can I keep the same wallpaper and lockscreen (which are the same, btw) or should I cycle them somehow ? (because I'd like not to, I love my wallpaper).
  • Should I prevent the monitor to display a lockscreen altogether and make it turn off quickly on a locked session?
  • And the windows launch bar, with the start menu icon and all... won't this burn in as it's always on screen and quite similar all the time ?
  • My icons on desktop, is that a problem too ? Since they never change much too ?

If there is a risk, what should I do to prevent it and keep my screen pristine for as many years as possible?

Thank you very much for any input, I'd really appreciate it...!

Hate to burst your bubble, but the 42" and 48" OLED's from LG And Sony are NOT QD-OLED.... so they will burn in just as much as previous generations of OLED's, other than the new technologies they've built in to the settings such as pixel refresher... screen shift... logo luminance adjustment, among others. Just don't leave your TV on a single picture with sleep turned off for longer than a few hours repeatedly, and you'll be fine. I've daily driven a B9 55" oled tv as a monitor since early 2019 and i have zero image retention. I've just simply set the screensaver to 5 minutes and I auto-hide my windows taskbar - between those two, you'll be fine.

9 minutes ago, Elyss said:

Hi guys,

So, I've taken the step to buy a LG C2 42 as my main PC monitor (and it's awesome btw).

But, I know OLED screens tend to burn in. Or tended ? Is this a thing not to worry too much anymore theses days, or do I need to  take some protective measures ?

I wonder about stupid things like :

• can I keep the same wallpaper and lockscreen (which are the same, btw) or should I cycle them somehow ? (because I'd like not to, I love my wallpaper).
  • Should I prevent the monitor to display a lockscreen altogether and make it turn off quickly on a locked session?
  • And the windows launch bar, with the start menu icon and all... won't this burn in as it's always on screen and quite similar all the time ?
  • My icons on desktop, is that a problem too ? Since they never change much too ?

If there is a risk, what should I do to prevent it and keep my screen pristine for as many years as possible?

Thank you very much for any input, I'd really appreciate it...!

They have a lot of built in measures to avoid display "damage" including shifting pixels for static objects like toolbars, and lowing brightness after X amount of time, and so-on.

I see both opinions being said about it :

- some say that putting it to 70% brightness and turning it off after 8-10h of use while leaving all pixel shifting options on will keep it without burn in for years

- others still recommand to hide the taskbar, and have moving backgounds, or else.

Some guy on reddit goes on replying to any related thread that LG has had no real burn in problem since 2018 and as long as the built-in anti-burn-in option are on, it's pointless taking any precautions at all.

Many still discourage regular desktop use.

Where would be any reasonably trustworthy truth ?

Nowadays OLED needs a bit of care as many of people don't have issue with burn-in until either very long hours of usage, left something static at high brightness on purpose, or play their one favourite game for many thousands of hours. Don't forget there are other issues that may pop up too. My friend with CX recently developed several dead pixels near the edge but not enough to consider upgrading.

I don't set wallpaper on my OLED TV as it's not on my main desk and yeah I'm a bit careful there, but IMO if you're gaming or watching contents most of the time then wallpaper won't hurt much. 

Brightness is up to you, but try around 35% on OLED pixel brightness first (approximately 100 nits) first and give it a week. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

The way OLED works is the most used pixels will wear out first. This is what causes "burn-in" and that's not even the right term. Its more accurate to call it "burn-out" and the best way to prevent it is to try to use all pixels equally.

Of course this is impossible but the best thing you can do to make it last longer is avoid static objects.

First off all the built in features like logo luminance and pixel shift are completely useless. I have them all off. Shifting the screen by a couple of pixels will make no difference at all for something like the taskbar.

Your wallpaper should be on slideshow mode. But to avoid over use you should have lots of varying images not just a couple of them. Personally I keep a black screen as my wallpaper.

You absolutely should not have any desktop icons. If you insist then you should move them around at least once a day.

The taskbar should be on auto hide.

You absolutely should not be showing a lock screen. Instead have your screen saver on a short timeout and it can open on the lock screen on resume.

I do all this and I keep my OLED on full brightness. These are the best practices if you plan to keep the display for a long time. If you plan to replace it in 2 or 3 years then you probably don't have to worry about any of this.

23 hours ago, Elyss said:

I see both opinions being said about it :

- some say that putting it to 70% brightness and turning it off after 8-10h of use while leaving all pixel shifting options on will keep it without burn in for years

- others still recommand to hide the taskbar, and have moving backgounds, or else.

Some guy on reddit goes on replying to any related thread that LG has had no real burn in problem since 2018 and as long as the built-in anti-burn-in option are on, it's pointless taking any precautions at all.

Many still discourage regular desktop use.

Where would be any reasonably trustworthy truth ?

LG new generation of OLED (one use in C2) are said to be much more resistance to burn-in (they are a more efficient panel and recover from temporary image retention much quicker from older gen LED)

That said, burn-in is a thing even just a generation ago if you use it 'correctly' aka use it as a PC monitor and do all PC stuffs on it, like working or something else that required you to operate monitor for 6-8 hours a day. For all intent and purposes, it's better to assume that the current gen OLED will be just as suseptible to the previous in this kind of workload.

What can you do to prevent it? 

- Don't use it as a PC monitor, most OLED display are a TV - so try to use it like a TV as much as you can (aka restricted your use case to game and movies consumption, maybe occasional off hour web browsing and Youtube)

- Hide the taskbar. Some people managed to avoid the burn-in without but it's still a huge risk and should not be taking for granted.

- Disable lockscreen is a good practice but maybe not neccesary. TV already use quite a lot of screensaver and they had been working fine - but yes, don't use the same image over and over would be better.

- Use dark colour water if possible

There are a lot of people here who reported using OLED for years and years without issue (but all of them don't wfh on it) so it should be reasonbly fine, if you're being reasonable. 

On the other hand, some people like Mr. L-man himself and Level One Tech managed to burn their unit in a matter of months of heavy usage so it's definitely something to be mindful of - and probably depends on the element of luck as well