Mic monitoring for PS5

I am looking for a headset that will advantage of the PS5 3d audio all while letting me hear my own voice during game chat. I want to be able to turn my voice down or up for my own benefit. I've tried the ps5 headset and astros a20s. The ps5 has a mic monitor button but I cannot hear myself because the volume is so low. When I go to options and test the mic, I get clear monitoring/sidetone but once I go back to menu or game, it goes away. Is there a headset that will take advantage of ps5 3d audio and have on board controls for mic monitoring/ sidetone? 

This is not possible with just the use of a PS5 and a headset alone, you will need additional hardware to hear yourself. And be warned, its not cheap.

You will need the following:

- A headset/headphones

- A microphone (not a USB one)

- An HDMI 2.0 audio extractor of some kind (If you don't care about the higher resolutions and HDR you can cheap out on the audio extractor, but then you basically turn the ps5 into a ps4)

- An audio mixing board (eg, Yamaha MG10XU)

- 3.5mm to USB dongle (search amazon for USB external soundcard, you need one that accepts a mic input)

- So many cables

- Some ground loop isolators to eliminate the buzzing

First, run your PS5 through the audio extractor. This will capture the game audio and turn it into something you can use, most likely 3.5mm, this is also where you will need your first ground loop isolator as the process will most likely give you electronic feedback which will drive you crazy down the line if you don't kill it now. You will feed your extracted audio into the mixing board, this is also where you will plug in your microphone. The Yamaha MG10 (the XU model is not needed, it does let you apply filters to your microphone though) has 4 outputs, three of them are the same. You will mix your game audio and microphone audio on the main channel and use either the Phones out (suggested as it's only going to some headphones and you only need a 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm aux cord) or the stereo out (You can use either a pair of TRS cables for left and right or the XLR out, but I really suggest keeping it simple with the phones out). The channel that you have your mic plugged into you will then turn the blue knob that says AUX (if you fot the XU model this knob will be white and say FX on it). On the board you will need a 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm aux cord to come out of the AUX send channel (FX send on XU model), plug this into another ground loop isolator and then plug it into your USB dongle and plug that into one of the usb ports on your ps5. You now have a microphone input for your ps5 that you can also hear in your own headphones while also taking advantage of the 3d audio. Be sure to go into settings and tell it to use the USB dongle as your mic but use the HDMI as your audio out, otherwise it will want to use the USB dongle as the audio out and you won't hear it in your headphones. 

The only reason I know how to do this is because I stream, and this is how I get my nice XLR microphone into my ps5 while also using it for my stream. You will feel like you are swimming in cables by the end if you are not judicious with cable management. Also, the audio hardware alone will be about as much as a PS5, I've been slowly accumulating and upgrading my hardware since I was in highschool and have easily invested a couple thousand of dollars into this. So really ask yourself if hearing your own voice will be worth the touble that this will bring. 

• 2 months later...

This above is just false. If your only goal is to hear your own voice and not for streaming, plenty of headsets have mic monitoring on the ps5. 

ARCTIS 7P+ WIRELESS Have a dedicated wheel to do just that.  

5B16BA4F-D38B-4A94-8210-DEBE54AD7E2D.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2023 at 7:49 PM, EatonBeanz said:

This above is just false. If your only goal is to hear your own voice and not for streaming, plenty of headsets have mic monitoring on the ps5. 

ARCTIS 7P+ WIRELESS Have a dedicated wheel to do just that.  

5B16BA4F-D38B-4A94-8210-DEBE54AD7E2D.jpeg

Hey where do I get that exact same headset from