AU health insurance provider, 9.7 million affected?

Summary

From what Medibank from australia saw as "baseless claims" or threats, before the hackers gave out personal information and that they were serious.

It's unsure how they got it? and a lot of personal + gov ID, medical information and so on. Maybe no credit information stolen.

Quotes

We have become aware that the criminal has released files on a dark web forum containing customer data that is believed to have been stolen from Medibank’s systems.

This data includes personal data such as names, addresses, dates of birth, phone numbers, email addresses, Medicare numbers for ahm customers (not expiry dates), in some cases passport numbers for our international students (not expiry dates), and some health claims data.

My thoughts

lol, another one.

Sources

https://www.medibank.com.au/health-insurance/info/cyber-security/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-63564544

You would have thought, that with the amount of money the world's governments have, they'd invest in protecting the most expensive thing they own (their citizen's data/info). Like seriously, all it takes is a few hours with some job posts and a few million dollars and they could easily protect the sensitive stuff better.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

9 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

You would have thought, that with the amount of money the world's governments have, they'd invest in protecting the most expensive thing they own (their citizen's data/info). Like seriously, all it takes is a few hours with some job posts and a few million dollars and they could easily protect the sensitive stuff better.

Yes, but the way the incentive structures are right now, data security is at best an afterthought. Just an example from my country. What do you think, how long did it take to find a critical flaw in our digital Personalausweis (Our form of government ID-card) after it was published?

Spoiler

about half an hour

And that is what you should be abled to use when you need identification for tasks like opening a bank account, filing taxes etc...

Thats also one of the reasons almost nobody actually uses it although it would be useful if it were at least a little bit trustworthy.

So why should companies invest in data security when the government doesn and nothing happens after a hack. Security costs money without a perceptible benefit for them.

45 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

No, the money is spent on physical defenses to fuel the war economy.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

BBC slow on the uptake, this is like 3 weeks old

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, williamcll said:

No, the money is spent on physical defenses to fuel the war economy.

We are talking about an amount of money that wouldn`t put much of a dent in most defence budgets while hardening their defences a lot. So even from a defence standpoint it would make sense to invest it. But the focus is more on getting all the data of every single person on the planet for the secret services than protecting at least the data of their own citizens.

Also i don`t think the military of the australian Medibank is really big.

@Quackers101 Your thread title isn't clear what the topic is about, I think you're missing the word "hacked" or "data breach" in there. You also need to update to include some of your own thoughts, commenting "lol" is not enough.

• The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

BBC slow on the uptake, this is like 3 weeks old

The compromised data was just released today.