Laptop resets graphics drivers randomly.

ivanrcks95

Wasnt sure where to post this, either here or the laptop section but thought id try here first.

I have a Acer Swift 3 SF314, with the Ryzen 5 5500U. Recently it started doing something really odd, and something I haven't been able to find a solution for just yet. Every time I have my secondary display plugged into it via the hdmi port, it resets the graphics driver. The most up to date driver for the 5500U is Adrenalin 22.5.1, and I can update the laptop to that driver no issue, even with the external display plugged in. But after a while, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a few hours, other times after a restart, it always resets it back to Adrenalin 20.40.44. Now normally I wont really care, but most games wont play with this driver, and say that it is to old and I should update it, so it has become somewhat frustrating, as ill update the driver, play the game, go away or restart the laptop, and it resets itself back to the old driver and I have to update again.

Anyone has an idea of what might be going on and how to fix it? It seems to be related to having the external display plugged in, as it didnt reset itself when I had it unplugged. Kinda stumped at this point.

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

Sounds like windows update going rogue. Maybe try run Disk Cleanup and see if it cleans all windows update cache (or go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything there) then install all latest updates. If required you can also download Windows 10 Update Assistant to install latest Windows 10 build.

Ensure the driver you install is WHQL version, which is certified and signed, so that Windows Update hopefully doesn't touch it anymore.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

5 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

Sounds like windows update going rogue. Maybe try run Disk Cleanup and see if it cleans all windows update cache (or go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything there) then install all latest updates. If required you can also download Windows 10 Update Assistant to install latest Windows 10 build.

Ensure the driver you install is WHQL version, which is certified and signed, so that Windows Update hopefully doesn't touch it anymore.

Thanks! Will give this a go and see if it helps. I had my suspicions as well that it might be windows update fucking things up.

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16