New Mechanical Keyboard

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my current gaming keyboard which is a Logitech G213 membrane "mechanical feel" keyboard.  I want to go mechanical, but I have no experience with mechanical keyboards so I do not know where to start.  For workload this will be for casual gaming, and for a lot of web browsing and typing.  I need a number pad still that is a must.  Wired or wireless is fine no preference there.  Backlit keys are also a must.  The ability to be able to fix the keyboard like swappable keys would also be nice.  The budget is $150 or around there but definitely nothing over $200.

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

I've been partial to iKBC for quite a while now. The CD108 v2 is fairly unmatched in overall quality compared to any other keyboard in its price class, though it does lack some features that other manufacturers do like backlit keys/RGB, software customization and macros, and it also has soldered on switches. None of these things are things I considered when I made my purchase as I'm not a hobbyist and just wanted a decent no-frills keyboard, and for that they are exceptional. More switch choices than any other manufacturer in this price bracket for sure. It was $100 at the time I purchased it but it looks like it has dropped to $79.99.

The MX Clears being an option was interesting, and I opted for them. Sort of like a less scratchy MX Brown with an actual tactile bump, but they're heavy. I like them. Have bought the tenkeyless and full 108-key model and I have always liked both.

Keep in mind that this is purely my own experience; I'm just some random guy on a forum talking about the keyboard I've come to like over the last few years and I am no expert.

A grumpy school IT guy with too many computers.

Primary:
Intel Core i9-10900K
48GB DDR4-3600 (2x16+2x8)

RTX 3060 12GB

a lot of SATA SSDs, too many some might say

Secondary:

Intel Core i7-4790K
16GB DDR3-1600
GTX 750 Ti

HTPC:
Intel Xeon e5-1620 v2
48GB ECC DDR3-1600
GT 730 1GB GDDR5

Laptop (ThinkPad W540)
Intel Core i7-4900MQ
32GB DDR3L-1600 (4x8)

Quadro K2100M

2880x1620 IPS Display
a glass trackpad stolen from an X1 Carbon G3

I have more... these are the ones that get used fairly often though.

QWERTY or another layout?

Ducky One 3 is what I'd recommend.

9 minutes ago, SleepDeprivationTheITGuy said:

like backlit keys/RGB

I realized that that is also something I do need.  Once I got my first backlit keyboard it made the keys so much easier to see.

9 minutes ago, SleepDeprivationTheITGuy said:

it also has soldered on switches

I would prefer if I could swap the keys for ease of repair if possible.  Thanks for bringing that up.

27 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my current gaming keyboard which is a Logitech G213 membrane "mechanical feel" keyboard.  I want to go mechanical, but I have no experience with mechanical keyboards so I do not know where to start.  For workload this will be for casual gaming, and for a lot of web browsing and typing.  I need a number pad still that is a must.  Wired or wireless is fine no preference there.  The budget is  $150 or around there but definitely nothing over $200.

keychron v5/6

keychron v6 will be available in a week or 2

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

QWERTY

I am from the U.S. so standard QWERTY

@person123456789

Thanks for that recommendation I like the way those look.  Any key switch recommendations?

18 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Any key switch recommendations?

Switches are pretty much entirely personal preference. I would recommend you get a sample pack of switches and see what you like the feel of. Many companies sell switch tester packs, that even have the switches mounted. This will give you an idea, although an entire board will still be a bit different.

1 minute ago, person123456789 said:

linear tactile or clicky

Thats the thing I don't know I like the idea of getting a sample set.  Any recommendations?

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Many companies sell switch tester packs

Great idea!

8 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Thats the thing I don't know I like the idea of getting a sample set.  Any recommendations?

Also kind of look at the keyboards you are looking at and see what switches are available. Some of the testers come with tons of switches, but not exactly common ones. That hippo keys one above, has a few I won't say "common" ones in it, but then it has a whole bunch of definitely less common switches in it. Those won't help if everything you are looking at is Cherry switches.

This WASD version comes with key caps, and o-rings for example. Most all cherry switches. So less switches, but more common switch types for many boards.

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

Also kind of look at the keyboards you are looking at and see what switches are available. Some of the testers come with tons of switches, but not exactly common ones. That hippo keys one above, has a few I won't say "common" ones in it, but then it has a whole bunch of definitely less common switches in it. Those won't help if everything you are looking at is Cherry switches.

This WASD version comes with key caps, and o-rings for example. Most all cherry switches. So less switches, but more common switch types for many boards.

the keyboard OP is looking at has a hotswap barebones version so you will be able to install any switch you want

My advice is go with Silent Red's, as they are the closest feel to membrane, imho.

15 hours ago, IPD said:

My advice is go with Silent Red's, as they are the closest feel to membrane, imho.

maybe OP doesn't want a keeb that feels like a membrane

I do NOT want a membrane feeling keyboard ever again.  The sample things to test the key switches seem a lil expensive for only a few keys.  Looking at this Cherry MX graph:

image.thumb.png.277bebfff56780309510c6345cb3a706.png

I think I want a Normal sounding keyboard, not one that is ridiculously loud, so that leaves me with the MX Brown, Black, or Red.  Any recommendations for those?

2 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

I do NOT want a membrane feeling keyboard ever again.  The sample things to test the key switches seem a lil expensive for only a few keys.  Looking at this Cherry MX graph:

I think I want a Normal sounding keyboard, not one that is ridiculously loud, so that leaves me with the MX Brown, Black, or Red.  Any recommendations for those?

I honestly don't recommend cherry switches unless you want to lube and break them in

browns have a small tactile bump whereas the linears have a smooth travel

11 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

I honestly don't recommend cherry switches unless you want to lube and break them in

browns have a small tactile bump whereas the linears have a smooth travel

What would you recommend instead?

21 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Odd.  You don't know what you want, you only "know what I don't want".  Well maybe if you figure out why you don't want those things--then you might identify what it is that you DO want.

"recommendations" you are asking for is still saying "I haven't a clue what I want".

36 minutes ago, lw88 said:

Not to overload you with information I'll simplify it:

There's large tactile bumps and small - obviously large feels like a strong button press, small feels like a small almost unnoticeable one.
Then you can have the bump toward the top of the press, or further down.

A cherry blue is a medium size tactile bump

A cherry brown is a small tactile bump

Both are toward the middle of the press

P shaped bumps be like

@person123456789 @lw88 @IPD @OhioYJ

I ended up buying the HippoKeys one of everything sample pack.  I'll report back after I find out which one I like.

It looks like Hippo Keys just sells the switches, so where can I get a blank keyboard to put the switches in after I pick one?

3 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

@person123456789 @lw88 @IPD @OhioYJ

I ended up buying the HippoKeys one of everything sample pack.  I'll report back after I find out which one I like.

It looks like Hippo Keys just sells the switches, so where can I get a blank keyboard to put the switches in after I pick one?

Keychron Q6 if you can afford it.

If not, Keychron V6.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find this for the same price locally then this is a STEAL.

I would suggest looking into optical hotswappable gateron mechanical keyboards. Keychron probably has one such model, check on the stocks in your country. I've had pretty bad experiences with key chattering so I won't recommend regular mechanical keyboards. I know there are users out there with multiple keyboards with no issues. But boy have I suffered.