A weird tag team: Apple and Android with a Apple Watch

SydneyFromMN

Hello!

I have a very weird question. I am an Android user, and I have been for quite a while. I tried every version of Apple's iOS, and I hated my experience. However, I love the Apple watch. I was talking to one of my co-workers, and he suggested I have a backup iPhone that I never use, and that only pairs with the watch. My main phone would send texts to the Apple phone, and it would redirect calls. If I send a message from the iPhone, it would relay back to my Moto, and the Moto would send it off. 

BTW, both phones would have their own unique phone numbers, so I wouldn't have to worry about weird pairing issues, I don't think...

Is something like this possible? Or am I just crazy

Possible probably. But you have to pay for an additional phone line and phone. And carry 2 phones and keep them charged. Doesn't sound like it would make life easier. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

24 minutes ago, SydneyFromMN said:

Hello!

I have a very weird question. I am an Android user, and I have been for quite a while. I tried every version of Apple's iOS, and I hated my experience. However, I love the Apple watch. I was talking to one of my co-workers, and he suggested I have a backup iPhone that I never use, and that only pairs with the watch. My main phone would send texts to the Apple phone, and it would redirect calls. If I send a message from the iPhone, it would relay back to my Moto, and the Moto would send it off. 

BTW, both phones would have their own unique phone numbers, so I wouldn't have to worry about weird pairing issues, I don't think...

Is something like this possible? Or am I just crazy

https://www.androidpolice.com/how-to-pair-use-apple-watch-with-android/

Might be helpful. Not that I own a smartwatch or tried this method.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

25 minutes ago, SydneyFromMN said:

If I send a message from the iPhone, it would relay back to my Moto, and the Moto would send it off. 

Everything else sounds possible, just impractical. But this, why would you do that if the whole point was so you don't have to actually use iOS? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Lurking said:

Possible probably. But you have to pay for an additional phone line and phone. And carry 2 phones and keep them charged. Doesn't sound like it would make life easier. 

I have two phone lines that go un-used, and I have a Apple charger in every place when I charge my phone (I blame the GF), those concerns are good, but hopefully I got them covered

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Everything else sounds possible, just impractical. But this, why would you do that if the whole point was so you don't have to actually use iOS? 

iOS sucks, in my opinion. But their watches are amazing, imo

5 minutes ago, SydneyFromMN said:

iOS sucks, in my opinion. But their watches are amazing, imo

Yea but why not just send the message directly from the Moto? Like you're now actively using an iPhone, just so you don't to use an iPhone. Why can't you receive the message on your Apple watch after it's been relayed to your iPhone and then just reply on your Moto? Why do you need to then go on your iPhone, message the Moto and then forward it on from the Moto? There's an extra step that doesn't need to be there. 

The iPhone only needs to be there to connect with your Apple watch for relayed messages. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea but why not just send the message directly from the Moto? Like you're now actively using an iPhone, just so you don't to use an iPhone. Why can't you receive the message on your Apple watch after it's been relayed to your iPhone and then just reply on your Moto? Why do you need to then go on your iPhone, message the Moto and then forward it on from the Moto? There's an extra step that doesn't need to be there. 

The iPhone only needs to be there to connect with your Apple watch for relayed messages. 

My thought would be I would be able to reply from the watch, and the iphone can relay the message back

6 minutes ago, SydneyFromMN said:

I have two phone lines that go un-used, and I have a Apple charger in every place when I charge my phone (I blame the GF), those concerns are good, but hopefully I got them covered

I didn't even think of 2 different charging cables. Even worse. 

This doesn't sound like seamless integration at all. 

Maybe walk around with both phones a few days to see how you hate or like that. If both are big phones with cases, it will be tight in pants etc. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Lurking said:

I didn't even think of 2 different charging cables. Even worse. 

This doesn't sound like seamless integration at all. 

Maybe walk around with both phones a few days to see how you hate or like that. If both are big phones with cases, it will be tight in pants etc. 

I have walked around with both (The newer iphone and moto's new edge+)... I still hate Apple's phone GUI

I'll be frank: this sounds too convoluted.

If you really crave an Apple Watch, it'll be much easier to go all-in and get an iPhone.  You might not like iOS, but you also won't have to use it as much if you have an Apple Watch on your wrist. (That and you might get used to it.)

And if you just can't cross that bridge, it'd be easier to get a Galaxy Watch 5 and call it a day. It's not as robust as the Apple Watch, but it's still a fine smartwatch and will simplify your life.

if you get a cellular watch and your phone provider supports it you can just add the watch to the same phone plan as your android phone. The only issue you might have here is make sure you do not enrol the phone number in iMessage otherwise iOS users when they send you a message it will only show up on your watch.   

I do not believe there is any way to have an iOS device forward messages it gets to another device.  But you could try to find a phone contract that lets you have 2 phones (and a watch) all on the same number then you might not need to forward the messages (again avoid iMessage if you want to read messages on your android).