Insane Lag in gaming

A7XX

Hey,

My experience in online fps shooters for the past few years have been horrible, I am always, always almost a second behind enemies and my bullets do not register. My isp has been of no help as you would expect. But I was wondering if there is any way I can at least limit that lag. Is there a way to know when I peak during online play, and how do I make myself the peaker instead of getting peaked all the time? Also, is my router the issue here? I have a D-link dsl g-256dg

First of all are we talking WiFi or cable? If you're using wireless, try using cable. 

You could run two separate pings at all times while gaming and see what causes the spikes - one ping to your router and one to google for example (or your game server if you happen to know the IP and it hasn't disabled icmp requests). You can go ingame then and play and after you experience lag, minimize and check which values went high.

That way you can track whether your connection to the router is spiking or your internet connection is lagging.

Ideally you should be able to maintain stable low ping between your computer and your router and if anything goes up it should be the outer link.

Depending on your router you could possibly check its CPU and see if that's the bottleneck. A router that's running out of resources could cause lagging issues for sure.

If your WAN cable is RJ-45 and not optical/coax you could plug it in directly and measure latency then. That'd eliminate router issues and you can go from there.

Some rather obvious ones:

- Anyone else using any significant bandwidth in your LAN?

- Does your internet plan actually provide any decent speed and latency by default?

- Anything running in the background that would consume bandwidth or cause latency spikes?

- Did you actually restart the router and the PC however lame that may sound? 😄

- Are you aware of your game server location and whether or not that's the problem instead of your internet?

- Is your computer up to the task? An overloaded CPU could cause high latency in some scenarios.

Do a tracert to 8.8.8.8. That will tell you where any delay is in every hop between you and Google.

But unless it's between your PC and your router (which is highly unlikely), there's not much you can do about it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

i dont get any delays, the the weird part about it, but I lag in every single game i play, even in zombies co-op