Upgrading my brothers 3rd gen intel

Jl360

Budget (1100): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: some older games some new he plays red dead a lot and is looking forward to hogwarts legacy.

Other details has monitor keyboard. I already got a 2tb 980 pro for him and a 1tb sk m.2 and a 3070 from my pc and a 850 Corsair gold psu

here’s what I was thinking but I’m open to suggestions going AMD but he will likely have this 10 years like the last one.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wjt2Y9

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($439.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($319.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1039.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-31 12:52 EDT-0400

You might be able to find a good deal on a 12700k. I know Micro Center is selling mobo+CPU for like $350, but it might be in store only. I'd keep an eye out. The 12700k is no slouch.

That's effing crazy how much DDR5 costs now. I paid over $300 for that set in April.

I would kill for a microcenter near me… my uncle was able to walk in and get me msrp vid cards peak mining in Ohio… 

I’ll have to look at 12700k I figured knowing he is going to have it 10years I’d get as close to the bleeding edge as I could.

10 minutes ago, Jl360 said:

I would kill for a microcenter near me… my uncle was able to walk in and get me msrp vid cards peak mining in Ohio… 

I’ll have to look at 12700k I figured knowing he is going to have it 10years I’d get as close to the bleeding edge as I could.

A 13600K is a better option than a 12700K if just gaming. 

1 hour ago, Jl360 said:

Is 790 worth it over 690?

I honestly can’t figure out the PCI lanes anymore. I have a z690 and I know my GPU is operating at 16x PCIE 4.0, and I have a 4x PCIE 4.0 NVME drive, and they are both fine. But the table from anandtech makes it confusing. Looks like z790 drops support for Intel Optane and adds support for one additional USB3.2 Gen 2x2 port. You will probably be close to a grand on the motherboard before you can find 5 Gen 2x2 ports lol. Same number of DMI lanes for the chipset. Anandtech says no improvement in performance. 

I'd pick the 13600K even over the 13700K. The i7 may be marginally faster, but it's not worth the extra. Tom's Hardware was able to get a perfectly stable all-core 5.6 GHz that beat out the 7950X and a stock 13900K. As for going AMD, it would just be like going for Rocket Lake during Ryzen 5000.

For the motherboard, a z690 would serve you just fine, as long as you're comfortable with updating the BIOS. Asus's z690 TUF board will also support your DDR5 memory as well, all for a wonderful price.

7 hours ago, Jl360 said:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 

Great cooler, but a refresh of the D15 is coming out soon and the D15 is overly expensive @ that price. Would not pay more than 60-70 dollars for a D15 (used ofc)- I got mine for my secondary build for free, but that was a special circumstance.

Grab a Thermaltake Peerless Assassin 120 SE (cheap option but still very good) or a Deepcool AK620 (not as cheap, but still inexpensive- nearly half the price)

7 hours ago, WilliamRea said:

I'd pick the 13600K even over the 13700K. The i7 may be marginally faster, but it's not worth the extra. Tom's Hardware was able to get a perfectly stable all-core 5.6 GHz that beat out the 7950X and a stock 13900K. As for going AMD, it would just be like going for Rocket Lake during Ryzen 5000.

For the motherboard, a z690 would serve you just fine, as long as you're comfortable with updating the BIOS. Asus's z690 TUF board will also support your DDR5 memory as well, all for a wonderful price.

The asus don’t seem to have bios flashback so I would need a 12th gen correct? 

On 10/31/2022 at 10:52 PM, Jl360 said:

The asus don’t seem to have bios flashback so I would need a 12th gen correct? 

Depending on the manufactured date of the device or if ASUS has upgraded the bios before sending out the boards... not 100% certain. It is the risk you run of getting a newer CPU and the previous chipset.