CPU for 3d animations and rendering

Socchi

Was wondering what would be a good CPU for animations and rendering? I saw a pc that had an intel i5-12400F and was a bit curious on the clock speed. Saw that the base speed was at 2.5GHz, so how important is the clock speed when rendering and what would be a better alternative for this?

Program used: Blender

First of, what is the program that you're using?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

8 minutes ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

First of, what is the program that you're using?

Blender

Base clock speed is kind of irrelevant. With a proper motherboard and cooler 12400F will boost forever.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

12 minutes ago, Socchi said:

Blender

Then you'll be fine with the i5. The base speed is what it'll run at when you're not putting load on the CPU. Outside of CPU rendering, blender loves CPUs with really fast cores since most of the other stuff in blender isn't multi threaded. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Base clock speed is kind of irrelevant. With a proper motherboard and cooler 12400F will boost forever.

The motherboard in the pc was asrock b660m-hdv

9 minutes ago, Socchi said:

The motherboard in the pc was asrock b660m-hdv

Well that one is shit. https://www.techspot.com/review/2424-asrock-motherboard-fail/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4 minutes ago, Socchi said:

which motherboard would you recommend for that CPU?

12400F doesn't need much. The best cheap board would probably be this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KKbTwP/msi-pro-b660m-a-ddr4-micro-atx-lga1700-motherboard-pro-b660m-a-ddr4 it has enough VRM cooling to run even something like an i7.

Spoiler