NOT GETTING CORRECT INTERNET SPEED

Go to solution Solved by WinDIMMson,

I've figured it out... the Wi-Fi adapter in my laptop only supports the 1.73 max link speed when the channel width is set to contiguous 160MHz. Separated non-contiguous 80 MHz (or 80+80 MHz) configuration isn't supported. The S21 does support the 80+80 config. My router does not support contiguous160MHz. 

Hi All,

So earlier today, I received an e-mail from Comcast stating my internet speed was being increased from 300 to 400 Mbps. I restarted my router/modem combo and tested the speed on my laptop; it was around 280Mbps. I then tested it on my phone; it was 370 Mbps, which is correct. I had thought that maybe my account didn't update or something, but this proves that it did. I can't figure out why I'm not getting the upgraded speed on my computer. My router is a TP-Link Archer CR700. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7586 which has an Intel Wireless AC 9560, which according to Intel's website, has a max speed of 1.73 Gbps. I wouldn't think this network card would be a bottleneck since I'm nowhere near the max speed. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S21 (not plus or Ultra).

What I've already tried:

-Restarted computer

-Disabled then re-enabled network card

-Ran ipconfig /renew & ipconfig /flushdns commands

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

AFAIK, laptop wifi cards are significantly slower than desktop/phones.

For example, on my wifi card on my B660M motherboard PC, steam download could get up to 8-9 mbps (yes it's slow I know, 3rd world country, what can I do), but my ROG Strix G531GU laptop with AC 9260 could only get up to 2.5 mbps. Both installed on SSD, both CPU still have headroom, so it really is downlaod speed difference. AC9260 is WIFI 5, but there no difference since my router is still WIFI 5.

This is talking real world speed, not speedtest speed, because they are different and rarely applicable.

Weirdly enough, downloading anything on my phone is significantly faster than on my PC or laptop. 

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Wifi is an imperfect solution. The 1.3ghz or whatever your adapter is advertised at is only theoretical. You will never come close to that real world even in absolute perfect conditions. To ensure you're actually getting the new speeds, the only way to validate is to hardwire your laptop into your modem or router and test. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

28 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Wifi is an imperfect solution. The 1.3ghz or whatever your adapter is advertised at is only theoretical. You will never come close to that real world even in absolute perfect conditions. To ensure you're actually getting the new speeds, the only way to validate is to hardwire your laptop into your modem or router and test. 

Except I'm getting the correct speed with my phone on WiFi.

WiFi relies on both the sending and receiving hardware and antennas. You phone may have a better antenna or wifi interface than your laptop. As mentioned above a wired connection will be the best way to measure your actual speed. I have yet to see a wifi connection work at the maximum theoretical speed.

26 minutes ago, WinDIMMson said:

Except I'm getting the correct speed with my phone on WiFi.

Horse shoes and hand grenades. 

You have two separate devices that have two separate WiFi chips with two separate antenna designs. Its like comparing Apples to Oranges. Advertised speeds on WiFi devices are all the bands added together. So you really have to look at what band your connected to and what speed its rated for. 

Your router for example is rated for 1300 Mbps on 5Ghz, but Im going to tell you that even with WiFi 6, its unlikely to get Gigabit speeds on WiFI and you're router is WiFi 5. If you absolutely need the faster speeds I suggest a Cat5e or Cat6 cable, other than that, this is a case of WiFi being WiFi. 

On a side note, if you were getting "Full Speed" it would be 480 Mbps as Comcast over provisions connections by 20%. For the record Im on the same plan as you on Comcast and with 300 Mbps the speeds you show in or OP were the speeds I was getting. I have yet to reboot our modem but when I do I would expect 480 Mbps or so, depending on congestion on the node of course. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I've figured it out... the Wi-Fi adapter in my laptop only supports the 1.73 max link speed when the channel width is set to contiguous 160MHz. Separated non-contiguous 80 MHz (or 80+80 MHz) configuration isn't supported. The S21 does support the 80+80 config. My router does not support contiguous160MHz.