What do drivers do in headphones?

setsakara

Just wondering, but I dropped my headset and the repair guy said "drivers are cracked" and I have no clue what that means. Is this something I can fix with some glue, or do I have to buy a new headset?

If anyone asks, its a Razer Kraken TE

2 minutes ago, setsakara said:

Just wondering, but I dropped my headset and the repair guy said "drivers are cracked" and I have no clue what that means. Is this something I can fix with some glue, or do I have to buy a new headset?

Drivers are the things that move the speaker cone, AFAIK. 

the driver is really the whole 'speaker' part of the speaker. it is made up of the cone (paper, or some other material), the magnet, and the voice coil.

The voice coil induces a current over the permanent magnet (creating an electromagnet) that pulls and pushes on the cone.

when someone says 'the driver is cracked' next time, just ask them for more detail. this could mean anything from the cone is torn to the magnet broke in half.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

54 minutes ago, setsakara said:

the driver produces the noise

On 10/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, setsakara said:

Drivers are the actual part of the headphone that moves, converting electrical energy into acoustic energy.

The most common type is a 'dynamic' driver. This is what you see in most speakers and headphones. A coil of wire around a magnetic core. With the coil being attached to a diaphragm. 
The voice coil then moves when current is applied. (This is what your headphone cable is connected to). Moving the diaphragm, and creating sound.

What Are Dynamic Headphones And How Do They Work? – My New Microphone

Headphone driver types explained - SoundGuys

There are other types of driver however, such as Planar magnetic, electrostatic, ribbon, and balanced armature. But the vast majority of headphones and speakers use dynamic drivers. It's typically only once you start looking at the higher end of the market you'll get more into the other types.

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33
Most used headphones: Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi TC, Sennheiser HD800-S