MY GPU IS LAZY!!! IT WORKS HARD ONLY IF IT HAS TO!!!

DProductions

Hello my GPU only gets fully utilized when I game on high graphics. For example, when I play cyberpunk 2077 on max settings with DLSS balanced, and ray tracing on ultra on 1080p I get around 50 frames on 90% utilization, but when I switch the settings to everything on the preset "low" option with balanced DLSS, I get 70 frames with around 60% gpu utilization. I thought it was just cyberpunk but this also happens on League of Legends, where sometimes my fps dips to 90 fps on 20% GPU utilzation. I've come to the conclusion that my GPU is LAZY. HOW DO I MAKE GPU GET OFF IT'S ASS. I've tried to reinstall, but that didnt change anything. I tried updating motherboard drivers. I uninstalled then resetted the GPU in device manager, I've put my computer on high performance mode, I've changed the 3d settings to prefer "Maximum performance", but nothing seems to be working. 

EDIT: 

Today I played a ranked game of League, and I hit 40 frames. There is something DEFINITELY wrong with my pc, and I don't think it's the bottleneck. 

SPECS:
Windows 10 Home Version 10.0. 19044 Build 19044 x64

MOBO: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Processor: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ stock cooler 

GPU: OEM RTX 3060 TI

RAM: 4x 8GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL18

PSU: 750W BRONZE RATING

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 3.70, 6/9/2020

NOTE: CYBERPUNK IS INSTALLED ON HDD LEAGUE IS INSTALLED ON NVME SSD. I wasn't able to capture when league doing it, but please take my word for it. 

995860550_MAXGRAPHICDLSSBALANCEDWITHRAYTRACING.png

2082862095_LOWGRAPHICDLSSBALANCED.png

981801903_LEAGUEMAXGRAPHICS.png

1 minute ago, DProductions said:

but when I switch the settings to everything on the preset "low" option with balanced DLSS, I get 70 frames with around 60% gpu utilization.

Your CPU is likely being a bottleneck in this case, so it can't send instructions fast enough for your GPU to process, making it idle.

2 minutes ago, DProductions said:

I thought it was just cyberpunk but this also happens on League of Legends, where sometimes my fps dips to 90 fps on 20% GPU utilzation.

Again, it should be your CPU bottlenecking it, since it's such a lightweight game were the GPU doesn't have much work to do.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

4 minutes ago, igormp said:

Your CPU is likely being a bottleneck in this case, so it can't send instructions fast enough for your GPU to process, making it idle.

Again, it should be your CPU bottlenecking it, since it's such a lightweight game were the GPU doesn't have much work to do.

I thought my ryzen would've been more than enough to handle league on a consistent 200 frames, despite it being bottlenecked.

Your CPU is holding up the performance in less GPU intensive scenario. Get 5800x3d if you want to see substantial performance uplift on such scenario imo. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, DProductions said:

I thought my ryzen would've been more than enough to handle league on a consistent 200 frames, despite it being bottlenecked.

Tweak your system memory timings and single core performance if you want to get more fps in LoL. Maybe play it with DSR enabled or something to increase GPU load.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Your CPU is holding up the performance in less GPU intensive scenario. Get 5800x3d if you want to see substantial performance uplift on such scenario imo. 

How big do you think the uplift would be? Investing in a new cpu is quite expensive, and was wondering if that would justify buying a new one. 

THIS IS THE LAST TIME I USE A BOTTLENECK CALCULATOR TO TELL ME HOW TO NOT BOTTLENECK!!! IF WHAT YOU GUYS SAY IS TRUE, THIS CALCULATOR IS A PC BUILDING NOOB PREDATOR

CALCULATOR.PNG

10 minutes ago, DProductions said:

THIS IS THE LAST TIME I USE A BOTTLENECK CALCULATOR TO TELL ME HOW TO NOT BOTTLENECK!!! IF WHAT YOU GUYS SAY IS TRUE, THIS CALCULATOR IS A PC BUILDING NOOB PREDATOR

Bottleneck calculators are inaccurate, there are a lot of variables and factors in bottleneck, a simple calculator can't determine that.

It's hilarious that you blame your GPU without actually understanding the main issue, please don't be like that in real life.

In 1080p high fps, CPU plays a bigger role than GPU, that is why CPU benchmarks are mostly done in 1080p instead of 1440p or 4K.

5800X3D with a 3060Ti makes so little sense, you want faster single core performance if you want LoL to have 200+fps.

Even 5800X3D requires 4090 to really stretch it's legs, if you really need 200+fps, 12600k or 13600k should be able to give you that, 12400/5600X is only a maybe.

LoL is an old game, using old engine, therefore more cores don't equal to more fps, they were build for 2 or 4 core CPUs to cater to a wider range of user base, therefore single core is where it is at.

Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading, won't feel that much of a difference anyway.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Ffs guys.... the CPU is fine. Your grandmas PC can run LoL at 120FPS+. My Steam Deck can run LoL at 120FPS+...

Cyberpunk has a bug when you use quality presets it will use wrong one or not apply the ones you use, you need to manually change each setting. 

That's why LTT RTX 4090 review had such a weird result. 

Regarding LoL, your CPU is fine! 

Issue is somewhere else. Considering you use W10 I would start by disabling Windows Fast Startup and restart PC as for me that always caused weird performance issues. 

Maybe also check your Chipset drivers and which Ryzen powerplan gets applied after installing them. 

1 hour ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Bottleneck calculators are inaccurate, there are a lot of variables and factors in bottleneck, a simple calculator can't determine that.

It's hilarious that you blame your GPU without actually understanding the main issue, please don't be like that in real life.

In 1080p high fps, CPU plays a bigger role than GPU, that is why CPU benchmarks are mostly done in 1080p instead of 1440p or 4K.

5800X3D with a 3060Ti makes so little sense, you want faster single core performance if you want LoL to have 200+fps.

Even 5800X3D requires 4090 to really stretch it's legs, if you really need 200+fps, 12600k or 13600k should be able to give you that, 12400/5600X is only a maybe.

LoL is an old game, using old engine, therefore more cores don't equal to more fps, they were build for 2 or 4 core CPUs to cater to a wider range of user base, therefore single core is where it is at.

Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading, won't feel that much of a difference anyway.

Personally not trying to pass 200 frames. I capped it at 200. My problem is when it dips below to the 90s. Groovy tunes, Duke.

35 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Ffs guys.... the CPU is fine. Your grandmas PC can run LoL at 120FPS+. My Steam Deck can run LoL at 120FPS+...

Hey, he show a 192fps LoL screenshot and complaint about it. I assume he want 300-500 fps. lmao 

14 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Hey, he show a 192fps LoL screenshot and complaint about it. I assume he want 300-500 fps. lmao 

So I just want a consistent frames above 144 frames. I got 40 frames today in a ranked game today. That's what I'm trying to avoid. It's hard to get a screenshot because the frame drops usually happen during moments when I'm trying to win.