Is this what a dying GPU looks like? And will replacing thermal pads/paste improve anything?

My friend gave up on an auxiliary build he was working on, so i inherited most of his parts as a fun side project. Like trying to finish a car restoration.

The core of the build is a 1700x and a r9 290 attached to an ASUS prime X370 pro

The build, when it deigns to run instead of producing long-short-short-short beeps, produces strange graphical artifacts and behavior, or simply gives up and shows only a black screen. The Radeon software app has reported several driver crashes as well.

The GPU is old and probably hasn't been well maintained. 

Is this what a dying GPU does? Will replacing the thermal paste/pads fix this issue? Or is it a lost cause once it begins showing those errors?

i want to know if I'm likely wasting my time before i open up this expensive case of dust and neglect

PXL_20221019_020505181.jpg

PXL_20221019_053026581.jpg

PXL_20221019_015659577.jpg

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

5 minutes ago, NaClKnight said:

Is this what a dying GPU does? Will replacing the thermal paste/pads fix this issue? Or is it a lost cause once it begins showing those errors?

Definitely yes, and artifacts like those could be fixed by placing the GPU on a oven, which is a common practice to hopefully solves the problem. Don't hope too much though, rather as well to put it on the trash bin if it doesn't work.

Replacing any thermal paste/pads unfortunately won't solve anything as what's coming to death is the hardware itself.

Although you can just simply get a decent secondhand GPU and, voila, you got a decent gaming machine.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Remove the GPU driver from device manager and tell it to completely delete driver files, then uninstall from the control panel. Reboot and install latest drivers and see if that fixes it.

Also how are your temps?

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

1 minute ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Definitely yes, and artifacts like those could be fixed by placing the GPU on a oven, which is a common practice to hopefully solves the problem.

If you have a disposable oven, sure. You're not supposed to use the oven for food, ever, after baking a GPU due to the chemicals from the PCB/solder AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, xovague said:

Remove the GPU driver from device manager and tell it to completely delete driver files, then uninstall from the control panel. Reboot and install latest drivers and see if that fixes it.

Also how are your temps?

^^^ +1 for this. Also you can try downclocking the core or VRAM and see if that helps, could prolong the useful life a bit if you want to hold on to the card.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 hours ago, xovague said:

Also how are your temps?

I performed the factory reset option when i installed the Radeon software, and that seems to have helped, but that was before i read your solution

I haven't yet stress tested it but last night GPU & VRAM were idling between 45-55C

7 hours ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Definitely yes, and artifacts like those could be fixed by placing the GPU on a oven, which is a common practice to hopefully solves the problem. Don't hope too much though, rather as well to put it on the trash bin if it doesn't work.

Replacing any thermal paste/pads unfortunately won't solve anything as what's coming to death is the hardware itself.

Although you can just simply get a decent secondhand GPU and, voila, you got a decent gaming machine.

Yeah, my wife and i cook a lot and I'm not trying to be the reason the oven always smells and tastes like pixels. The 290 is on the rear edge of decent gaming gpu, but more importantly it was free. I guess I'll go see if i can score a used 570 or 1060 or something. Whatever $130 buys me on the used market

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3