Python on Windows, why can't I install libraries ?

Mouse-Potato

I'm trying to follow a Python course on Udemy but i'm having issues with the terminal installing libraries.

The instructor is using a Mac and when i try the same commands that he does I always get an error when installing libraries.

A friend of mine said i should get a Mac computer because apparently everything works a lot easier when trying to program.

Is there anyway around this ? Do i really need an Apple computer to run Python without a bunch of hurdles and hoops ?

10 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

I'm trying to follow a Python course on Udemy but i'm having issues with the terminal installing libraries.

The instructor is using a Mac and when i try the same commands that he does I always get an error when installing libraries.

A friend of mine said i should get a Mac computer because apparently everything works a lot easier when trying to program.

Is there anyway around this ? Do i really need an Apple computer to run Python without a bunch of hurdles and hoops ?

No you absolutely do not need an Apple computer to work with python.

The main hurdle that I can imagine you having is installing and using pip.

Pip can be installed in the easiest way by selecting "install pip" in the python installer.

Once you have pip, you can pip install packages with ease!

I can help you a little more if you give me more information, what commands are you using and what are the errors you're getting?

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

1 hour ago, Zalosath said:

No you absolutely do not need an Apple computer to work with python.

The main hurdle that I can imagine you having is installing and using pip.

Pip can be installed in the easiest way by selecting "install pip" in the python installer.

Once you have pip, you can pip install packages with ease!

I can help you a little more if you give me more information, what commands are you using and what are the errors you're getting?

I think that's exactly my issue, i can't seem to install pip

Here is the error that i'm running into

image.png

I assume that is not a command but rather an option when installing python onto the pc, is there a way to install it once python is already installed ?

6 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

I think that's exactly my issue, i can't seem to install pip

Here is the error that i'm running into

image.png

You're in the Python IDLE. 

You need to use command line python to install pip.

Open up a command prompt terminal, type python pip install --upgrade pip and let me know what it says. 

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

3 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

You're in the Python IDLE. 

You need to use command line python to install pip.

Open up a command prompt terminal, type python pip install --upgrade pip and let me know what it says. 

Seems like it can't find python ?

image.png

Just now, Mouse-Potato said:

Seems like it can't find python ?

image.png

Either navigate to where you installed python and run command prompt from there, or you'll need to set up your PATH environment variable.

12 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Either navigate to where you installed python and run command prompt from there, or you'll need to set up your PATH environment variable.

Hmm, it seems i'm stuck at this step.I reinstalled python a selected all the options.

If i open python and try to install pandas it doesn't work but if i do it through command prompt, it works.

Not sure if i should be able to install pandas and other libraries directly via the python terminal

image.png.ec1f521971fc40eda1d8183db9728d3b.png

1 minute ago, Mouse-Potato said:

Hmm, it seems i'm stuck at this step.I reinstalled python a selected all the options.

If i open python and try to install pandas it doesn't work but if i do it through command prompt, it works.

Not sure if i should be able to install pandas and other libraries directly via the python terminal

image.png.ec1f521971fc40eda1d8183db9728d3b.png

You need to use command prompt for pip, Python IDLE is used for running python code only.

3 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

You need to use command prompt for pip, Python IDLE is used for running python code only.

OOOoooohhhhhhh. I get it now ...

I used to run cde through a RaspberryPi and for some reason i thought it was the same process as doing the "sudo apt-get/install...." commands but through the python idle terminal...

Many thanks !

So does this mean that on Mac everything goes through the terminal ?