RTX 2080 Metal Grinding Noise at load! HELP

Go to solution Solved by merco,
3 hours ago, Helpneeded999 said:

Damn, yeah it does actually sounds like that... So because i cleaned the PC and got all the dust out of the case, now it has coil whine... I should have kept it dusty haha... That sucks... I'll try to open up the card and see if i can do anything also change the thermal paste..

not sure if it has been mentioned before but I was looking at videos about coil whine and they suggest to try undervolting your card and also cap your FPS or even turn on gsync/freesync because it's worse at high FPS.

Hello!

I just did a fresh re-install of Windows 10 and drivers. Before that, i cleaned the PC with compressed air.

My PC has been running without issues and the main game i play, the GPU temp would sit at 60 degrees C.

NOW. I installed all my drivers and games. I started the game and when i went into a battle, it immediately made a very weird metal grinding noise and the GPU would get very hot...The temp just kept going up and i closed the game after a few seconds when it got over 75 degrees C....

I am pretty sure it comes from the GPU. It is NOT the fans. I can control the fans and i tried to put them at 100%, they sound normal.

Whenever i run a GPU stress test, it immediately makes that strange noise. What did i do?!

What does this sound like? Here is a video of the sound. Might have to turn your volume up, i find it hard to hear with my speakers. 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Helpneeded999 said:

Hello!

I just did a fresh re-install of Windows 10 and drivers. Before that, i cleaned the PC with compressed air.

My PC has been running without issues and the main game i play, the GPU temp would sit at 60 degrees C.

NOW. I installed all my drivers and games. I started the game and when i went into a battle, it immediately made a very weird metal grinding noise and the GPU would get very hot...The temp just kept going up and i closed the game after a few seconds when it got over 75 degrees C....

I am pretty sure it comes from the GPU. It is NOT the fans. I can control the fans and i tried to put them at 100%, they sound normal.

Whenever i run a GPU stress test, it immediately makes that strange noise. What did i do?!

What does this sound like? Here is a video of the sound. Might have to turn your volume up, i find it hard to hear with my speakers. 

Thanks!

Sounds like coil whine to me if you have isolated the fans not being the culprit and the GPU under load with games running in the background. 

Does the sound change dramatically with FPS fluctuations?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Kinda sounds like an old hard drive to me. There aren't that many moving parts in a computer so it's either that or one of the fans. 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Sounds like coil whine to me if you have isolated the fans not being the culprit and the GPU under load with games running in the background. 

Does the sound change dramatically with FPS fluctuations?

It just sounds very loud and annoying... Unlike any other video of coil whine... The sound does change a bit depending on the load of the GPU... But still that high pitch metal grinding...

I have had it for 3 years now and had no problems with it... When i cleaned it, a lot of dust came out... Could something have gotten loose?...

58 minutes ago, merco said:

Kinda sounds like an old hard drive to me. There aren't that many moving parts in a computer so it's either that or one of the fans. 

I thought about that, but my HDD is quite silent all the time... Furthermore, the sound comes when the GPU is working...

I don't know what to do. It is almost unbearable to listen to while playing games... Also, i don't want to damage anything, i just want to know what is making that insane sound...

2 hours ago, Helpneeded999 said:

Hello!

Thanks!

It could still be the fans at a certain rpm. Try setting the fans to the same speed and see if you hear it. Either going to be the fans or coils. Those temps sound normal to me based on the founders card I had. 

1 hour ago, Helpneeded999 said:

It just sounds very loud and annoying... Unlike any other video of coil whine... The sound does change a bit depending on the load of the GPU... But still that high pitch metal grinding...

I have had it for 3 years now and had no problems with it... When i cleaned it, a lot of dust came out... Could something have gotten loose?...

Coil whine varies in sound and pitch. 

Check the fan blades and clean them thoroughly to ensure that the dust is not built up on one side. When you say, "a lot of dust came out", did you use an air compressor or canned "air"? Make sure you hold the fans from turning to prevent possible damage. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

It could still be the fans at a certain rpm. Try setting the fans to the same speed and see if you hear it. Either going to be the fans or coils. Those temps sound normal to me based on the founders card I had. 

I tried different settings for the fans.. It is not the fans.

It should be noted, that my GPU temp are higher than usual/before the clean... Before it would not go over 60 even after hours of playing, now a few seconds in, it is over 75... Could i have damaged something?...

11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Coil whine varies in sound and pitch. 

Check the fan blades and clean them thoroughly to ensure that the dust is not built up on one side. When you say, "a lot of dust came out", did you use an air compressor or canned "air"? Make sure you hold the fans from turning to prevent possible damage. 

I used an air compressor, but carefully and not a lot of pressure... The GPU temps are higher than before the cleaning... Could i have damaged something while cleaning? If so, what...

To be honest, i did forget to hold the fans at one point, could i have damaged something there? The fans spin like normal and i can change the settings of them and they sounds normal...

3 minutes ago, Helpneeded999 said:

I used an air compressor, but carefully and not a lot of pressure... The GPU temps are higher than before the cleaning... Could i have damaged something while cleaning? If so, what...

To be honest, i did forget to hold the fans at one point, could i have damaged something there? The fans spin like normal and i can change the settings of them and they sounds normal...

Well, the fans are spinning in the correct orientation, right? What graphics card is this? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the post or video (just shows red with the audio). 

With the computer off, touch the fan blades and see if there is any wobble to them. Check for visible damage at the ends of the blades to see if they are rubbing against the fins of the heatsinks. 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well, the fans are spinning in the correct orientation, right? What graphics card is this? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the post or video (just shows red with the audio). 

With the computer off, touch the fan blades and see if there is any wobble to them. Check for visible damage at the ends of the blades to see if they are rubbing against the fins of the heatsinks. 

They are spinning like normal. It is RTX 2080. I have had the GPU out like 3 times to check it... Not any visible damage on the blades. I tried to ramp the fan speed up 1 by 1 in MSI afterburner, the sound does not come. It only comes with load on the GPU...

The temp are higher than usual, same game /settings.. Could i have damaged anything? I updated to the newest NVIDIA driver.. I dont know what else to do...

Next step would be to open the card and apply new thermalpaste and check if anything is loose or something... Very annoying...

1 hour ago, Helpneeded999 said:

They are spinning like normal. It is RTX 2080. I have had the GPU out like 3 times to check it... Not any visible damage on the blades. I tried to ramp the fan speed up 1 by 1 in MSI afterburner, the sound does not come. It only comes with load on the GPU...

The temp are higher than usual, same game /settings.. Could i have damaged anything? I updated to the newest NVIDIA driver.. I dont know what else to do...

Next step would be to open the card and apply new thermalpaste and check if anything is loose or something... Very annoying...

Ah an MSI RTX 2080. Like the MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio?? I had one before I sold mine during the crypto rage last year. I replaced the thermal paste on mine as I noticed temperatures climbed even while maintaining it by blowing it out for dust. I know after changing the thermal paste on my card, it dropped temps quite a bit, about 10⁰C. 

Doesn't seem like anything is broken but just terrible coil whine. 

24 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ah an MSI RTX 2080. Like the MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio?? I had one before I sold mine during the crypto rage last year. I replaced the thermal paste on mine as I noticed temperatures climbed even while maintaining it by blowing it out for dust. I know after changing the thermal paste on my card, it dropped temps quite a bit, about 10⁰C. 

Doesn't seem like anything is broken but just terrible coil whine. 

Asus Strix RTX 2080, but yeah. Lovely card and it has been working perfectly for 3 years now... I then decided to clean the PC and do a fresh Windows install... Now the temps are getting higher than before and this loud annoying noise comes under load... If anything was "broken" it wouldn't really work would it? It runs as before, apart from higher temp and the loud noise... Can coil whine really be that bad/loud? It almost sounds like an old HDD... It is very loud. Could i have "ruined" the thermal paste by blowing air into the GPU? That would be my only explanation to the higher temps now... But what about that loud noise? I have never ever had any coil whine with this GPU...

Anything i could do to test if it is indeed coil whine? Just to be sure/safe? Also, if it is... Could i reduce the coil whine a bit? This is almost unbearable...

17 hours ago, Helpneeded999 said:

I don't know what to do. It is almost unbearable to listen to while playing games... Also, i don't want to damage anything, i just want to know what is making that insane sound...

yes it sucks, I just looked at an old coil whine video and it does sound kinda similar, it's always hard to tell from a phone recording.

see for yourself: https://youtu.be/HP73edpQwgc?t=101

I guess you could try and see if it also reacts to your camera movement in demanding games. Sadly there is not too much that you can do, try the card in a second system, try a different power supply maybe just change out the cables if you have extra cables (mandatory warning: always use the ones that came with your PSU). In the end you could always try to sell the card while communicating clearly that it suffers from coil whine, take a small L on the price and get a new card. I know it would be worth the money for me having peace of mind instead of constantly having to listen to an annoying sound. 

6 hours ago, merco said:

yes it sucks, I just looked at an old coil whine video and it does sound kinda similar, it's always hard to tell from a phone recording.

see for yourself: https://youtu.be/HP73edpQwgc?t=101

I guess you could try and see if it also reacts to your camera movement in demanding games. Sadly there is not too much that you can do, try the card in a second system, try a different power supply maybe just change out the cables if you have extra cables (mandatory warning: always use the ones that came with your PSU). In the end you could always try to sell the card while communicating clearly that it suffers from coil whine, take a small L on the price and get a new card. I know it would be worth the money for me having peace of mind instead of constantly having to listen to an annoying sound. 

Damn, yeah it does actually sounds like that... So because i cleaned the PC and got all the dust out of the case, now it has coil whine... I should have kept it dusty haha... That sucks... I'll try to open up the card and see if i can do anything also change the thermal paste... 

3 hours ago, Helpneeded999 said:

Damn, yeah it does actually sounds like that... So because i cleaned the PC and got all the dust out of the case, now it has coil whine... I should have kept it dusty haha... That sucks... I'll try to open up the card and see if i can do anything also change the thermal paste..

not sure if it has been mentioned before but I was looking at videos about coil whine and they suggest to try undervolting your card and also cap your FPS or even turn on gsync/freesync because it's worse at high FPS.

42 minutes ago, merco said:

Just tried capping FPS at 60. No noise... I guess its coil whine.. God damnit, why did i clean my PC, lol... I'll see if i can try and undervolt it maybe, can't play with 60 FPS...

Thanks for the help!