Can’t afford a PC? YOU’RE WRONG

Sveeno
4 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

What annoyed me is that instead of suggesting to upgrade PSU he suggested to get shittier GPU. Like if the system required the proprietary PSU, okay, but I feel like most people will forget or not know that the video is about using an old office prebuilt as the base.

because you can't upgrade most office PC's PSU's

Thats the problem I am running into with my optiplex

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I have been trying to boot clover on asus h61 motherboard but its interface doesn't show up, using clover on my laptop and other pc works totally fine. Help!!!

On 10/16/2022 at 3:39 AM, AndreiArgeanu said:

Huh. Looks like Dell decided to go stupid with their newer SFF optiplex designs and place their x16 slots below the 4x rather than above it. The 7010 SFF I'm familiar with can fit dual slot low profile graphics cards but I guess the newer ones can't.

There's still other cards to look at. For example there's plenty of low profile single slot RX 6400's which should perform close enough to a 1650 at around 150$ new and possibly even less used, if you can find someone selling one used. Much better value than the 200$ TU400. Saphire, XFX, Yeston and VASTARMOR have low profile single slot rx 6400's.

image.thumb.png.959ff413a74097ccdf2e6a8e014455d9.pngimage.png.308a1558a37c3e0342413ac6c3c1fa0a.png

Ain't both of those cards a kinda bad pick? IIRC the 6400 have no video encoding capabilities whatsoever and the 1650 (depending on the version) has Volta NVENC, not Turing. Volta cores are about 25% less performant and allegedly output worse quality.

21 hours ago, sub68 said:

because you can't upgrade most office PC's PSU's

Thats the problem I am running into with my optiplex

You can (usually) find adapters that'll allow for PSU upgrades in systems that have proprietary connectors. In your 5050 for example, you can get a 24 pin -> 6 pin adapter.

I've helped a couple friends with tight budgets over the years do stuff like this, but I always tell everyone YMMV when adapting proprietary PSU connections. Though thankfully I haven't been burnt yet. 

Z workstation gaming builds and transplants are my jam! Funny timing as just a few days before this video dropped, I covered the idea of a sub-$300 6 or 8 core haswell workstation gaming build based off the newer version of this platform, the HP Z440. I've done a few full transplants of HP Z420s as well. Linus and team made some mistakes, or rather overcomplicated some fixes (cooler too tall, front fan header hackery, cpu fan header hackery because of less than idea CPU choice, etc), but its all a learning process. Just happy to see it. Another point that would have been nice to see covered is that there are two variants of the Z420s from HP because HP segemented the Sandy Bridge ones from the Ivy Bridge ones, so if they either already ran a v2 xeon or has a bootblock newer than a certain date (in 2012 I think, i can't remember off the top of my head) then it will support v2 xeons and not be locked to Sandy bridges. The V2 Ivy bridge Xeons have some advantages over the Sandy Bridge ones, with the E5-2667v2 8-core 3.3ghz/4ghz turbo being my favorite (around $25 on ebay). On Sandy Bridge, this same Xeon is only a 6 core.

This build IS transplantable into any regular ATX case with no "F1 to boot" errors and a off-the-shelf PSU with the right tweaks and stuff. If the LTT team plans on a part 3 of the video where they transplant their Z420 into a traditional ATX build, I'd love to contribute! @Sveeno@LinusTechI have more of a writeup on what I did on this page for the RGBeast 2.0 Build below: https://builds.gg/builds/the-rgbeast-2-0-epic-xeon-build-19141

1416249148_RGBeast2.0(21of26).thumb.jpg.78d96ff0387f071880a081ac37f1d543.jpg

1903859771_RGBeast2.0(17of26).thumb.jpg.7180b048b0ca1a32c0bd0cf3916789a5.jpg

1037988104_z420red.jpg.f9dd545e5531b60cac58e4a2f9a4e92a.jpg

809155170_z420red2.thumb.jpg.1942d2d7675e153735ebeafd62dff50a.jpg

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

Hi, just a question does the NVME through pcie expansion is faster than plugging an ssd? I just find it a bit of a hassle to use a 3rd boot loader to be able to boot to the os on older system like this

5 minutes ago, vmdyap2022 said:

Hi, just a question does the NVME through pcie expansion is faster than plugging an ssd? I just find it a bit of a hassle to use a 3rd boot loader to be able to boot to the os on older system like this

In terms of boot time and general usage, it would minimal difference (if at all). For simplicity, i'd say just use a good SATA SSD (make sure it has a DRAM cache). The workaround boot thing to get a PCI-E adapted NVME SSD to be an OS boot drive is just an extra thing, if you felt like tinkering.

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

6 hours ago, CoalitionGaming said:

In terms of boot time and general usage, it would minimal difference (if at all). For simplicity, i'd say just use a good SATA SSD (make sure it has a DRAM cache). The workaround boot thing to get a PCI-E adapted NVME SSD to be an OS boot drive is just an extra thing, if you felt like tinkering.

That was what i'm thinking, you could save some money by just using an sata ssd. Use that money saved for a better GPU..

Any noob tutorials out there?
BDU is being flagged as containing a virus.

Got the latest iso from the clover github.
Used EasyUEFI to what look like adding clover as a boot option in the bios, not a bootable usb; but I still need the usb

Installed windows on my pcie nvme.
But when it restarts during installation I get the error that winload.efi is missing.
Anyone know a fix?

Even removing the usb stick wont let me load windows from my original ssd without this error showing up haivng to press F9 then select windows from there.
I've removed the partitions from my nvme drive but its still showing up as an option to load windows from???

So am guessing I need to factory reset the bios to remove clover completely if I want it gone?

4 hours ago, bigo93 said:

Any noob tutorials out there?
BDU is being flagged as containing a virus.

Got the latest iso from the clover github.
Used EasyUEFI to what look like adding clover as a boot option in the bios, not a bootable usb; but I still need the usb

Installed windows on my pcie nvme.
But when it restarts during installation I get the error that winload.efi is missing.
Anyone know a fix?

Even removing the usb stick wont let me load windows from my original ssd without this error showing up haivng to press F9 then select windows from there.
I've removed the partitions from my nvme drive but its still showing up as an option to load windows from???

So am guessing I need to factory reset the bios to remove clover completely if I want it gone?

Did you change everything boot related to EFI instead of legacy in the BIOS? Under advanced -> device options -> PXE option roms, Mass Storage option roms, video option roms

LINCHPIN 

On 10/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, CoalitionGaming said:

Did you change everything boot related to EFI instead of legacy in the BIOS? Under advanced -> device options -> PXE option roms, Mass Storage option roms, video option roms

No I didnt.
Reinstalled changing the setting to UEFI modes, even removed all other drives so just pcie nvme drive is in there.
Still get the winload.efi missing error.

And now cant seem to get rid of clover from my bios and boot options show 3 possible windows installs. One actual windows the other 2 with no volume locations 😕
Well tried this cos I was going to do a fresh reinstall anyway. So back to my normal SSD I guess

--------EDIT------

So got it to work with a couple bugs.

First dont use EasyUEFI, it messed up my bios and had to clear CMOS
Downloaded BDU from https://iowin.net/en/bootdiskutility-en/ as main site download flags as a virus
Created by boot usb with BDU, if you dont have a partition names CLOVER then you need to redo it.

Copied NvmExpressDxe.efi from \EFI\CLOVER\drivers\off on the usb to \EFI\CLOVER\drivers\BIOS and \EFI\CLOVER\drivers\UEFI
Then created a folder called drivers64uefi in \EFI\CLOVER\  then copied NvmExpressDxe.efi to both these folders.

I removed ALL drives from my PC, even USB drives.
Only had the pcie nvme and win10 installation usb.
Cleared CMOS.
Installed on nvme with all bios settings set to UEFI as mentioned by CoalitionGaming above.

Removed win10 usb
Booted with CLOVER usb to complete win10 installation on nvme drive.

For some reason the windows installation took longer than normal, not sure why.
Same when I did updates and a restart, took an awfully long time to complete.
Not as long as the old windows 98 installation days though 😛

So Windows 10 loads from my pci nvme drive.
I've attached all my old SSD and external drives again.
However windows will only detect my external drive.
None of the other SSDs are showing up even in disk management. Not sure why
They do show up in the BIOS lists of drives though....

---UPDATE---

SSDs not showing were due to assigned drive letter conflicts.
Old Windows installs drive was C: which conflicts with new windows install which is also C:
External enclosure worked to reset non-windows SSD
Windows SSD I had to delete the partitions by running windows install usb again, luckily I didnt have data I needed on it.
So backup if you do! And change drive letters to something else before installing windows on nvme, that should save you from this hassle I had.

Yeah I need help with it to. LTT crew make a video on it PLS. 

On 10/16/2022 at 4:49 PM, IvanVaultHunter said:

*Help* 

I have a Z800 - Dual CPU Rig. It's my Baby and I Love it more than my more Modern Rigs. Even thought it's old, it still kicks some butt, and more than enough for your day to day heavy multi screened tasks. It running circles around your modern laptops, while still on DDR3....

That being said, I need help with this Clover Bootloader.

I want to MAX OUT this rig, it's my classic car re-build project and I want to "Give Her All She's Got!".

I have such respect for these Machines with very interesting Histories, Designed by BMW, made by HP, and sold to Governments to run Missile Silo's, and All with being completely tool-less, right.... Sorry LTT Screwdriver 😉

N-E-Way, Can I get a link for the right Clover Files & if Possible some basic Instructions one how to get these M.2 drives Booting?

Thank you all,

Your Friendly Z800 Stan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem, I just purchased a Dell Precision T1700 and have been trying to get clover to work on it for 2 days now. I finally got it to work not so long ago, hence the problem.

The problem is, it will only work in the main PCIe x16 gen 3 slot on the motherboard, if I try and use it in the PCIe x16 gen 2 slot it will not work, Clover will booot, but no nvme drive will be shown. Anyone got any advice as I will be getting a GPU soon.

27 minutes ago, henry3786 said:

I have a problem, I just purchased a Dell Precision T1700 and have been trying to get clover to work on it for 2 days now. I finally got it to work not so long ago, hence the problem.

The problem is, it will only work in the main PCIe x16 gen 3 slot on the motherboard, if I try and use it in the PCIe x16 gen 2 slot it will not work, Clover will booot, but no nvme drive will be shown. Anyone got any advice as I will be getting a GPU soon. There appears to be some info here that might help too.

I would check the BIOS for any PCI-E slot gen options and see if you can bump that slot to Gen 3. That aside, it may be that only the top slot's PCI-E lanes are wired to the CPU and maybe Clover somehow only recognizes things like that instead of NVME thru Chipset. There appears to be some info here that might be helpful too. https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Is-the-dell-Optiplex-9020-compatible-with-an-NVMe-ssd/td-p/8088136/page/2 , https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Optiplex-Model-Overview-regarding-UEFI-PCIe-NVME-M-2-Boot/td-p/7621123

It almost looks like the gen 2 on that 2nd slot might be the issue. Shouldn't be, but is what it is. You may want to look for a Clover alternative that can support that, or check with the Clover support/discord/post on the github issues page to see if there is a workaround for PCIE gen 2 slot booting.

LINCHPIN 

Hello !

Whats the best option for memory on one of these rigs?

Just got one with 16gb .

Would like to have 32gb

20 hours ago, cheatmealcoach said:

Hello !

Whats the best option for memory on one of these rigs?

Just got one with 16gb .

Would like to have 32gb

They have 8 RAM slots so if you wanted 32gb you can do 4x 8gb sticks or 8x 4gb sticks. Has to be ECC server memory (registered dimms). Tons of it all over ebay for good prices. DDR3 1600. Searching PC3-12800E (make sure to put the E at the end there) should bring up some ram results for you.

LINCHPIN 

On 10/15/2022 at 9:03 PM, kumicota said:

This is one of the most ableist and worst LTT video titles that I saw just because it's a poorshaming one

On 10/15/2022 at 9:25 PM, Caroline said:

Yeah. Shame on this shitty title.

guys in my country making $50 a month

Almost like the main audience for this video was people from the US, especially given the Canadian to US dollar exchange being calculated for every part (doesn't happen very often, unless the editor feels like it). 

It's not trying to "poorshame" it's trying to attract an audience in its target demographic, which, unfortunately, doesn't include people who make $50 a month. But, this is a company, LMG specifically, they will name their videos what they need to name them in order to get maximum profit.

Reality sucks, doesn't it? Almost like reality itself is poor shaming. Can we cancel reality next? I would love to see you try.

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Almost like the main audience for this video was people from the US, especially given the Canadian to US dollar exchange being calculated for every part (doesn't happen very often, unless the editor feels like it). 

It's not trying to "poorshame" it's trying to attract an audience in its target demographic, which, unfortunately, doesn't include people who make $50 a month. But, this is a company, LMG specifically, they will name their videos what they need to name them in order to get maximum profit.

Reality sucks, doesn't it? Almost like reality itself is poor shaming. Can we cancel reality next? I would love to see you try.

ah yes the market that as of 2020 has 11.4% of it's population in poverty and almost certainly unable to spare $69
I get all the rest, yes its for views and all that, but it's still cringe.

I want to run the E5-2690 processor 

Just to avoid the water cooler error .

will any version work ? 

7 hours ago, cheatmealcoach said:

I want to run the E5-2690 processor 

Just to avoid the water cooler error .

will any version work ? 

If the motherboard part number in your Z420 starts with a 6, then you have to use the Sandy Bridge based Xeons. The E5-2690 should work. If your motherboard part number starts with a 7, you can use ivy bridge Xeons like the E5-2690v2.

LINCHPIN 

• 2 months later...

so i am following along and this my first time building pc where do i get clover from? nothing linked in video thanks

On 1/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, cryptoplay said:

so i am following along and this my first time building pc where do i get clover from? nothing linked in video thanks

Found it on google in about 10 seconds. Good luck with the buildout!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

LINCHPIN 

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to take a stab at using an HP Z440 as a basis for a custom PC build like I've done in the past with the Z420 and Z400 and I originally thought that wouldn't be doable...but it was!

Specs:
-Xeon E5-1650v4 6-core/12thread CPU $35 from ebay (basically equivalent to i7-6800k)
-32gb DDR4-2400 ECC RAM (4x 8gb) $30 on ebay (RGB ram heatsinks applied after)
-XFX Radeon RX 580 8gb XXX GTS Edition $90 on ebay
-HP Z440 Motherboard ($50 on ebay, even came with a Xeon E5-1620v3 that was useful to test and then update the bios for V4 compatibility)

-Zalman i3 neo black case w/ included RGB fans $69 online new
-Zalman CNPS10X Optima II RGB cooler $25 online new
-Zalman Gigamax 600w 80+ bronze PSU $50 online new
-512gb SATA SSD $25 online new
-1tb HDD

BAM!

If Linus & team decide to keep their $69 (now $420) budget gaming PC from this thread/vid going for another video, next logical step would be transplanting it to a new case to get it out of the stock HP Z420 case. A few tricks are needed when that is done and i'd be happy to assist with that!

LINCHPIN 

• 1 month later...

no motherboard or case in links, and certainly not $65 for the lot..!