ASUS PG42UQ Fixed Yet?

HungryHamster

I heard the ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ had an issue with the much advertised uniform brightness feature, but it was supposed to be fixed in a firmware update. Does anyone know if it has been properly fixed yet? I'm strongly considering this monitor and am trying to figure out some of the cons (other than the matte finish).

I'd strongly advise against it. Where i live it's 80% more expensive than the LG C2 and the Asus is overall worse. There is no reason to buy this monitor other than the need for displayport or if you prefer a matte coating.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

47 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd strongly advise against it. Where i live it's 80% more expensive than the LG C2 and the Asus is overall worse. There is no reason to buy this monitor other than the need for displayport or if you prefer a matte coating.

Certainly the LG C2 is the other option I'm considering. Right now I'm leaning towards the ASUS because of the uniform brightness feature, better text clarity, marginally higher refresh rate, and the heatsink which allows it to get brighter and reduces image retention. The C2 probably does look nicer in a completely dark room though.

34 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

uniform brightness feature

This feature is also available in the C2 and is already working. In SDR you don't have any ABL, brightness just constantly stays at 180 nits no matter how big the bright object is.

It's exactly the same thing as what Asus is advertising.

better text clarity

There is no better text clarity. Both the PG42UQ and the C2 use the same WOLED panel from LG so both have the same inherent issues when displaying small text. If anything, text clarity will be worse with the Asus because it uses a matte coating compared to the LG's clearer glossy glass screen.

marginally higher refresh rate

18Hz more is not something anyone will notice. Not even the most sweaty competitive gamers, which wouldn't be looking at such a display anyway.

and the heatsink which allows it to get brighter and reduces image retention. The C2 probably does look nicer in a completely dark room though.

Again, the LG is brighter in every situation you throw at these 2 displays.

In terms of image retention i can just speak out of my own experience with the C2 (which i bought about 2 months ago). I never had any temporary image retention so far. I've been using it fr 6-8 hours every day since i got it. Long-term burn-in is something i can't say for sure but so far there is no hint of it.

Don't be fooled by fancy marketing. Look at their real-world performance (reviews) and make a call according to that. Apple is doing the same thing with literally everything they sell: Marketing features as new and as key selling points, even though their competitors already made it a standard thing not really worth talking about.

Example:

Spoiler

Marketing

LG doesn't use a heatsink.

Asus includes heatsink for "higher brightness".

Reality

C2:

HDR = 700 nits peak / 130 nits fullscreen

SDR (Game mode / PC set as input device) = 180 nits peak / 180 nits fullscreen ("no ABL mode")

SDR (Game mode / not setting input device as PC)  230 nits peak / 130 nits fullscreen

SDR (Movie mode) 350 nits peak / 180 nits fullscreen

Asus PG42UQ in HDR = 550 nits peak / 100 nits fullscreen

(i don't have any data on SDR atm. LTT is the only one who measured it so far and they've only shown HDR data)

So unless you absolutely NEED the displayport connector or absolutely can't stand the glossy screen on the LG there is no argument for the Asus. It is objectively worse, so don't waste your money. And if your GPU is old enough to not support HDMI 2.1 then you probably won't have the necessary performance to fuel a 4K 120Hz display anyway.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

This feature is also available in the C2 and is already working. In SDR you don't have any ABL, brightness just constantly stays at 180 nits no matter how big the bright object is.

There is no better text clarity. Both the PG42UQ and the C2 use the same WOLED panel from LG so both have the same inherent issues when displaying small text. If anything, text clarity will be worse with the Asus because it uses a matte coating compared to the LG's clearer glossy glass screen.

18Hz more is not something anyone will notice. Not even the most sweaty competitive gamers, which wouldn't be looking at such a display anyway.

In terms of image retention i can just speak out of my own experience with the C2 (which i bought about 2 months ago). I never had any temporary image retention so far. I've been using it fr 6-8 hours every day since i got it. Long-term burn-in is something i can't say for sure but so far there is no hint of it.

Don't be fooled by fancy marketing. Look at their real-world performance (reviews) and make a call according to that. Apple is doing the same thing with literally everything they sell: Marketing features as new and as key selling points, even though their competitors already made it a standard thing not really worth talking about.

Example:

Reveal hidden contents

Marketing

Reality

C2:

SDR (Game mode / PC set as input device) = 180 nits peak / 180 nits fullscreen ("no ABL mode")

SDR (Game mode / not setting input device as PC)  230 nits peak / 130 nits fullscreen

(i don't have any data on SDR atm. LTT is the only one who measured it so far and they've only shown HDR data)

So unless you absolutely NEED the displayport connector or absolutely can't stand the glossy screen on the LG there is no argument for the Asus. It is objectively worse, so don't waste your money. And if your GPU is old enough to not support HDMI 2.1 then you probably won't have the necessary performance to fuel a 4K 120Hz display anyway.

You make some good points that I will take into consideration. Mostly, I'm going by this review:

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg42uq-oled

I'll be using this monitor with a RTX 4090 and i7-13700k.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 12:03 PM, Stahlmann said:

Example:

Reveal hidden contents

Marketing

Reality

C2:

Great breakdown.

What about the wake up delay? I plan to use it to work on a Mac M1 for the day and game on PC at night. I am ok with the 60hz limitation on Mac for now (until apple fix it), and game after. You go over all the questions most have except that wake up thing.

6 minutes ago, Starshinata said:

Great breakdown.

What about the wake up delay? I plan to use it to work on a Mac M1 for the day and game on PC at night. I am ok with the 60hz limitation on Mac for now (until apple fix it), and game after. You go over all the questions most have except that wake up thing.

On PC it isn't a big problem. Just use the Color Control app that allows your PC to wake up the TV same as it's a monitor. Idk about mac.

On 10/14/2022 at 4:37 AM, HungryHamster said:

I heard the ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ had an issue with the much advertised uniform brightness feature, but it was supposed to be fixed in a firmware update. Does anyone know if it has been properly fixed yet? I'm strongly considering this monitor and am trying to figure out some of the cons (other than the matte finish).

rting now have their review, including the Screen Uniformity feature - so it's probably working now (also shown to be significantly brighter than C2 so I guess all the firmware issues are fixed at this point)

ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ Review - RTINGS.com