i have an msi graphics card a 1660 ti msi what will happen if i overclock it?

PoptartKing02

i want to overclock my gpu but im not sure what overclocking it will do i know it wont give me more vram id just like to know what overclocking will do to my gpu

Overclocking a GPU involves increasing the core clock and memory clock speeds, and adjusting the power limit and fan curves to increase the clocks as much as possible while maintaining healthy temperatures.

In the case of your card what will happen is: not much. Most modern GPU's ship from running very close to the maximum clock speed they can, and the "factory OC" models manufacturers tout usually have miniscule boosts that don't translate into any tangible performance gain.

If you literally don't even know what overclocking is, then I would recommend you not try to do it, especially given the very marginal potential rewards. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Overclocking a GPU involves increasing the core clock and memory clock speeds, and adjusting the power limit and fan curves to increase the clocks as much as possible while maintaining healthy temperatures.

In the case of your card what will happen is: not much. Most modern GPU's ship from running very close to the maximum clock speed they can, and the "factory OC" models manufacturers tout usually have miniscule boosts that don't translate into any tangible performance gain.

If you literally don't even know what overclocking is, then I would recommend you not try to do it, especially given the very marginal potential rewards. 

so overclocking my 1660 ti will have absolutely no effect at all?

Just now, PoptartKing02 said:

so overclocking my 1660 ti will have absolutely no effect at all?

It will have, at best, a very very small effect, like probably within margin of error.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

It will have, at best, a very very small effect, like probably within margin of error.

whats a safe overclock for a gtx 1660 ti?

38 minutes ago, PoptartKing02 said:

whats a safe overclock for a gtx 1660 ti?

+100 on the core and +400 on the memory with maxed out power limits is stable on 95% of GPUs (you can likely go a little higher, but not much), but that would generally only translate to 5% more performance at best. Nvidia cards at ambient haven't really been worth overclocking since around the 900 series.