Jump to content

Laptop CPU throttling seconds after full load. Air from exhaust is not that hot

My laptop's cpu (intel i5 9300HF) starts throttling seconds after load. The air coming out of the exhaust is not that hot. This is how it looks like for the whole test. Why is this happening and what can i do to fix it

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.b95eeefbf8c72ade54c20d93119e5cc1.png

this is what the advancing tuning screen looks like

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its at 95c so throthle range.

 

What laptop is this.

 

When is the last time you have cleaned the laptops heatsink and fans with compressed air/a pc duster? (this means opening the laptop).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

My laptop's cpu (intel i5 9300HF) starts throttling seconds after load. The air coming out of the exhaust is not that hot. This is how it looks like for the whole test. Why is this happening and what can i do to fix it

image.png

Looks like it's running fine to be honest, Intels ARK page shows a 45W TDP which is can reach, and a temperature limit of 100 degrees, which is very close. It runs at 3.5 GHz boosted on all cores, but it's also running at 100%. How often do you put your cpu under 100% load?

If the laptop is a few years old, it could be worth it to clean it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Looks like it's running fine to be honest, Intels ARK page shows a 45W TDP which is can reach, and a temperature limit of 100 degrees, which is very close. It runs at 3.5 GHz boosted on all cores, but it's also running at 100%. How often do you put your cpu under 100% load?

If the laptop is a few years old, it could be worth it to clean it out.

its about a year old a lenovo legion y540. I opened it up and gave it a light clean but nothing much since i did not seem much dust. VERY OFTEN. I do a lot of heavy tasks on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You got this used or is it old stock?

 

This laptop is from 2018.

 

The y540 whilst not having the best cooling doesnt struggle with a 9300f normally. Due to its age a thermal paste replacement may be in need.

 

You also might not see dust but thats the dangerous part of it. In laptops dust forms a mat on the inside of the heatsink where the fan blows air on. That severly hampers performance and if its bad enough requires a fan removal to get the mat out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You got this used or is it old stock?

 

This laptop is from 2018.

 

The y540 whilst not having the best cooling doesnt struggle with a 9300f normally. Due to its age a thermal paste replacement may be in need.

 

You also might not see dust but thats the dangerous part of it. In laptops dust forms a mat on the inside of the heatsink where the fan blows air on. That severly hampers performance and if its bad enough requires a fan removal to get the mat out.

prob old stock. What is some good thermal paste i can buy. What is the best way to safely clean out dust? Will an old (manual) balloon pump (weak) do the trick. Dont ask me why i have that i just do

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

prob old stock. What is some good thermal paste i can buy. What is the best way to safely clean out dust? Will an old (manual) balloon pump (weak) do the trick. Dont ask me why i have that i just do

 

No you need strong air for that. A pc "vacuum" (its a blower) is about 30$ and will do.

 

As for thermal paste I keep using trusty ol arctic mx4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No you need strong air for that. A pc "vacuum" (its a blower) is about 30$ and will do.

 

As for thermal paste I keep using trusty ol arctic mx4

what do you mean by strong air? if i understood this correctly its how much force the air comes with, if that is the case my balloon thing should be good enough, i was more concerned for static. also will a Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste.  work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

what do you mean by strong air? if i understood this correctly its how much force the air comes with, if that is the case my balloon thing should be good enough, i was more concerned for static. also will a Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste.  work

Sure its a bit of a weirder substance and harder to spread but will work.

 

Fyi with laptops you need to 100% cover the die with paste. Basically spread it out with a plastic card and then add a dot or 2 on top of that. Thisnis because there is a lot less mounting pressure since its direct die contact.

 

Since you need to remove the heatsink anyway a paintbrush + balloonpump will do to remove dust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jaslion said:

Sure its a bit of a weirder substance and harder to spread but will work.

 

Fyi with laptops you need to 100% cover the die with paste. Basically spread it out with a plastic card and then add a dot or 2 on top of that. Thisnis because there is a lot less mounting pressure since its direct die contact.

 

Since you need to remove the heatsink anyway a paintbrush + balloonpump will do to remove dust.

wouldn't the paintbrush kill it because of static

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

wouldn't the paintbrush kill it because of static

Static is a non-issue. Everything is grounded now, so unless you intentionally build up a massive static charge before zapping the crap outta your laptop and yourself, you are fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Static is a non-issue. Everything is grounded now, so unless you intentionally build up a massive static charge before zapping the crap outta your laptop and yourself, you are fine.

is it ok if it is on a plastic stand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Static is a non-issue. Everything is grounded now, so unless you intentionally build up a massive static charge before zapping the crap outta your laptop and yourself, you are fine.

also love your pfp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

is it ok if it is on a plastic stand?

Yeah, and if you wanna be extra careful, buy a grounding strap to put around your wrist to prevent any accidental shocks.

3 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

also love your pfp

Thanks, I made it myself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Yeah, and if you wanna be extra careful, buy a grounding strap to put around your wrist to prevent any accidental shocks.

Thanks, I made it myself

alr

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Sure its a bit of a weirder substance and harder to spread but will work.

 

Fyi with laptops you need to 100% cover the die with paste. Basically spread it out with a plastic card and then add a dot or 2 on top of that. Thisnis because there is a lot less mounting pressure since its direct die contact.

 

Since you need to remove the heatsink anyway a paintbrush + balloonpump will do to remove dust.

the manufacturing date is 2021, is the thermal paste still an issue?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

wouldn't the paintbrush kill it because of static

Nope. Static is basically not an issue that plus the brush is in constant contact with metal, electronics,... and being discharged

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

the manufacturing date is 2021, is the thermal paste still an issue?

 

Hmm. Thats very strange those laptops were discontinued in 2020.

 

Shouldnt be an issue if true but still strange.

 

For dust then you need something better than a handpump

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jaslion said:

Hmm. Thats very strange those laptops were discontinued in 2020.

 

Shouldnt be an issue if true but still strange.

 

For dust then you need something better than a handpump


correction: early 2021 (might be a regional thing)

 

I cleaned the dust with a paint brush off off the 2 visible fans

Do i still need to put more thermal paste? even though its this new

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jaslion said:

Nope. Static is basically not an issue that plus the brush is in constant contact with metal, electronics,... and being discharged

alr thx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TheDepressedCPu said:


correction: early 2021 (might be a regional thing)

 

I cleaned the dust with a paint brush off off the 2 visible fans

Do i still need to put more thermal paste? even though its this new

 

Do i still need to apply thermal paste? I cleaned out some of the dust of the 2 visible fans and its still throttling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×