Laptop CPU throttling seconds after full load. Air from exhaust is not that hot

My laptop's cpu (intel i5 9300HF) starts throttling seconds after load. The air coming out of the exhaust is not that hot. This is how it looks like for the whole test. Why is this happening and what can i do to fix it

image.png

Its at 95c so throthle range.

What laptop is this.

When is the last time you have cleaned the laptops heatsink and fans with compressed air/a pc duster? (this means opening the laptop).

19 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

My laptop's cpu (intel i5 9300HF) starts throttling seconds after load. The air coming out of the exhaust is not that hot. This is how it looks like for the whole test. Why is this happening and what can i do to fix it

image.png

Looks like it's running fine to be honest, Intels ARK page shows a 45W TDP which is can reach, and a temperature limit of 100 degrees, which is very close. It runs at 3.5 GHz boosted on all cores, but it's also running at 100%. How often do you put your cpu under 100% load?

If the laptop is a few years old, it could be worth it to clean it out.

13 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Looks like it's running fine to be honest, Intels ARK page shows a 45W TDP which is can reach, and a temperature limit of 100 degrees, which is very close. It runs at 3.5 GHz boosted on all cores, but it's also running at 100%. How often do you put your cpu under 100% load?

If the laptop is a few years old, it could be worth it to clean it out.

its about a year old a lenovo legion y540. I opened it up and gave it a light clean but nothing much since i did not seem much dust. VERY OFTEN. I do a lot of heavy tasks on it.

You got this used or is it old stock?

This laptop is from 2018.

The y540 whilst not having the best cooling doesnt struggle with a 9300f normally. Due to its age a thermal paste replacement may be in need.

You also might not see dust but thats the dangerous part of it. In laptops dust forms a mat on the inside of the heatsink where the fan blows air on. That severly hampers performance and if its bad enough requires a fan removal to get the mat out.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You got this used or is it old stock?

This laptop is from 2018.

The y540 whilst not having the best cooling doesnt struggle with a 9300f normally. Due to its age a thermal paste replacement may be in need.

You also might not see dust but thats the dangerous part of it. In laptops dust forms a mat on the inside of the heatsink where the fan blows air on. That severly hampers performance and if its bad enough requires a fan removal to get the mat out.

prob old stock. What is some good thermal paste i can buy. What is the best way to safely clean out dust? Will an old (manual) balloon pump (weak) do the trick. Dont ask me why i have that i just do

1 hour ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

prob old stock. What is some good thermal paste i can buy. What is the best way to safely clean out dust? Will an old (manual) balloon pump (weak) do the trick. Dont ask me why i have that i just do

No you need strong air for that. A pc "vacuum" (its a blower) is about 30$ and will do.

As for thermal paste I keep using trusty ol arctic mx4

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No you need strong air for that. A pc "vacuum" (its a blower) is about 30$ and will do.

As for thermal paste I keep using trusty ol arctic mx4

what do you mean by strong air? if i understood this correctly its how much force the air comes with, if that is the case my balloon thing should be good enough, i was more concerned for static. also will a Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste.  work

3 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

what do you mean by strong air? if i understood this correctly its how much force the air comes with, if that is the case my balloon thing should be good enough, i was more concerned for static. also will a Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste.  work

Sure its a bit of a weirder substance and harder to spread but will work.

Fyi with laptops you need to 100% cover the die with paste. Basically spread it out with a plastic card and then add a dot or 2 on top of that. Thisnis because there is a lot less mounting pressure since its direct die contact.

Since you need to remove the heatsink anyway a paintbrush + balloonpump will do to remove dust.

Just now, jaslion said:

Fyi with laptops you need to 100% cover the die with paste. Basically spread it out with a plastic card and then add a dot or 2 on top of that. Thisnis because there is a lot less mounting pressure since its direct die contact.

Since you need to remove the heatsink anyway a paintbrush + balloonpump will do to remove dust.

wouldn't the paintbrush kill it because of static

2 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

Static is a non-issue. Everything is grounded now, so unless you intentionally build up a massive static charge before zapping the crap outta your laptop and yourself, you are fine.

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Static is a non-issue. Everything is grounded now, so unless you intentionally build up a massive static charge before zapping the crap outta your laptop and yourself, you are fine.

is it ok if it is on a plastic stand?

also love your pfp

is it ok if it is on a plastic stand?

Yeah, and if you wanna be extra careful, buy a grounding strap to put around your wrist to prevent any accidental shocks.

also love your pfp

Thanks, I made it myself

Yeah, and if you wanna be extra careful, buy a grounding strap to put around your wrist to prevent any accidental shocks.

Thanks, I made it myself

alr

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

the manufacturing date is 2021, is the thermal paste still an issue?

26 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

Nope. Static is basically not an issue that plus the brush is in constant contact with metal, electronics,... and being discharged

5 minutes ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

the manufacturing date is 2021, is the thermal paste still an issue?

Hmm. Thats very strange those laptops were discontinued in 2020.

Shouldnt be an issue if true but still strange.

For dust then you need something better than a handpump

20 hours ago, jaslion said:

Hmm. Thats very strange those laptops were discontinued in 2020.

Shouldnt be an issue if true but still strange.

For dust then you need something better than a handpump

correction: early 2021 (might be a regional thing)

I cleaned the dust with a paint brush off off the 2 visible fans

Do i still need to put more thermal paste? even though its this new

20 hours ago, jaslion said:

Nope. Static is basically not an issue that plus the brush is in constant contact with metal, electronics,... and being discharged

alr thx

6 hours ago, TheDepressedCPu said:

correction: early 2021 (might be a regional thing)

I cleaned the dust with a paint brush off off the 2 visible fans

Do i still need to put more thermal paste? even though its this new

Do i still need to apply thermal paste? I cleaned out some of the dust of the 2 visible fans and its still throttling