[SOLVED] "Network cable unplugged" error on 2+ year old PC

Go to solution Solved by Infiniti,

Uhh well this is awkward.. apparently it was the port that was the issue, just had a logistical error in testing. Roommate said the connection from my port to his laptop was giving him a connection, but turns out it did not. Looks like it's just the port that is the issue, and there is another one on the other side of the room that I have a cable the perfect length for, so it seems the issue is resolved. Thanks so much for the help though! I'll have to talk to my school about it, but I highly doubt it will be something they will fix, so luckily there is another one I can use.

My PC is 2 years or so old now, and I have never had any network issues at all beforehand. But now, since yesterday, Windows has been unable to detect any ethernet cables plugged into my mobo.

The on-board WiFi will also randomly stop showing up in Windows and I will have to power cycle the PSU to get it to show up again. I've also had several issues with USB power cycling when I am playing games and stuff like streaming on Discord (I just updated my BIOS from F12e to F36d (oops) when trying to fix this, so no idea if the USB issues have been resolved yet).

I have tried:

• Using Gigabyte's APP Center to update all my mobo drivers and BIOS
  • Using different ethernet cables to check for a faulty cable
  • Using a different device to check for faulty ethernet outlet
  • Running Window's "Network Reset" feature
  • Simply disabling/re-enabling the ethernet adapter

PC Specs:

• Windows 10 Education 64-bit ver. 10.0.19044
  • Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi X570 (BIOS ver. F36d)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060Ti GAMING OC
  • Corsair RM750x White Series (750W PSU)
  • G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM (although I noticed just now that Windows says 2133MHz, would updating BIOS reset XMP?)
  • Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0

Any help with troubleshooting further would be greatly appreciated! Luckily I'm able to get by on WiFi for now, but I'd like to know if I need a new MOBO/PSU/CPU asap, thanks so much!

explorer_O75iWWRPPC.png

Edited by Infiniti
Issue solved (user error oops)

Before replacing any hardware, try creating an ubuntu live usb and see if ethernet issues occour on ubuntu so we can rule out windows errors. If it continues in linux, get a usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter (they are avalible in 2.5gig if thats something you want) and 1 gig. make sure you buy one from a name brand and not some chinese brand. 

heres a tplink 1 gig adapter i found https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Foldable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Compatible/dp/B00YUU3KC6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QM3DD7YU9RU2&keywords=usb+to+1+gig+ethernet+adapter&qid=1665000338&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=usb+to+1+gig+ethernet+adap%2Caps%2C1159&sr=8-3

and a 2.5 gig adapter, if you dont have a 2.5 gig capable network (if you dont know, its probably 1 gig) theres no reason to buy a 2.5 gig adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet-Adapter-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B084L4JL9K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JS2GZDLMHBRG&keywords=usb+to+2.5+gig+ethernet+adapter&qid=1665000386&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjg5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=usb+to+2.5+gig+ethernet+adapter%2Caps%2C405&sr=8-3

Uhh well this is awkward.. apparently it was the port that was the issue, just had a logistical error in testing. Roommate said the connection from my port to his laptop was giving him a connection, but turns out it did not. Looks like it's just the port that is the issue, and there is another one on the other side of the room that I have a cable the perfect length for, so it seems the issue is resolved. Thanks so much for the help though! I'll have to talk to my school about it, but I highly doubt it will be something they will fix, so luckily there is another one I can use.