New home server build, input greatly appreciated

I recently upgraded my personal pc, so I wanted to make a home NAS with some of the leftovers and some new parts. I have attached a screenshot of my current build list for the server. A few questions I have are:

- Would I be able to run a modded Minecraft server (max 10 players with a large mod pack like All the Mods 7), home storage network, and media server all off of this system? 

* If so, what recommendations for software would work best for accomplishing these goals?

* Can a modded Minecraft server run off of Ironwolf NAS HDDs or should I get an SSD for the Minecraft server itself?

On the hardware side the list of parts from the previous build are the Ryzen 5 3600, CPU cooler, RX 5600 XT GPU (I know isn't really needed but I have it on hand), and the EVGA BQ 600w PSU. So, these are pretty set in stone the other parts can be returned for different ones if there is a reason to change them for something else. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKBLqm

Any input is really appreciated, thank you.  

New Server build..PNG

Edited by Manythings123
Added pc part picker link.

few things i feel i should mention 'by default':

- Only home-host a game server for (direct) friends. saying 10 people i'm assuming they're all a friend group, but if it's for 'the public', it should be in a datacenter.

- The big modpacks will eventually lag no matter the number of players or the hardware choices. it's down to you and your friends to not be absolutely stupid about it, and pay some attention to what server load is actually like.

having that said.. back to the topic at hand:

- i'm not fond of the power supply, but i've defenately ran worse as a home server before.

- two drives isnt the most budget-friendly choice. you're limited to a RAID1 or active/backup setup. i'd suggest getting 3 or 4 drives so you can do a RAID5 or similar.

- my minecraft servers run off a raid0 array of 4 kingston A400 SATA SSD's, and it is brilliant. the raid4 is totally overkill, but just sticking the OS and critical applications on an SSD is absolutely brilliant. a sidenote about this is that the game server running off an SSD also means that you arent impeding on the potential performance of the hard drives for SMB access.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

few things i feel i should mention 'by default':

- Only home-host a game server for (direct) friends. saying 10 people i'm assuming they're all a friend group, but if it's for 'the public', it should be in a datacenter.

- The big modpacks will eventually lag no matter the number of players or the hardware choices. it's down to you and your friends to not be absolutely stupid about it, and pay some attention to what server load is actually like.

having that said.. back to the topic at hand:

- i'm not fond of the power supply, but i've defenately ran worse as a home server before.

- two drives isnt the most budget-friendly choice. you're limited to a RAID1 or active/backup setup. i'd suggest getting 3 or 4 drives so you can do a RAID5 or similar.

- my minecraft servers run off a raid0 array of 4 kingston A400 SATA SSD's, and it is brilliant. the raid4 is totally overkill, but just sticking the OS and critical applications on an SSD is absolutely brilliant. a sidenote about this is that the game server running off an SSD also means that you arent impeding on the potential performance of the hard drives for SMB access.

Yeah, I would only be using the server with friends. I wouldn't be handing my ip out to random people haha. I'll look into smaller mod packs to use then.

-What about the PSU is worrying? It seems to have plenty of power for the job, is it due to the bronze rating?

-I was aiming to use the NAS in raid one since I don't have ECC memory in my mind it would be easy to make sure the data isn't messed up from the non ECC memory in that config. What do you mean the two drives aren't budge friendly? Is that because they are larger, and I could buy more drives with lesser storage? I am not well versed in what Raid5 is so I will have to take a look at that configuration. I appreciate the recommendation and will do some more research.

- If I did run a 1 tb. M.2 do you think that would be large enough to cover OS and the Minecraft server? And would that not interfere with the Raid1 or 5 set up? I apologize I am not too tech savvy yet so that may be a dumb question.

Thank you for the in-site I really appreciate it.

16 minutes ago, Manythings123 said:

What about the PSU is worrying? It seems to have plenty of power for the job, is it due to the bronze rating?

rating has nothing to do with quality, just efficiency. That PSU’s quality is meh. Not horrible, not a bomb, it just isn’t quite as good as other PSUs you can get for the same price or less. Seems like you already have it, so I wouldn’t worry all that much. 

25 minutes ago, Manythings123 said:

- If I did run a 1 tb. M.2 do you think that would be large enough to cover OS and the Minecraft server?

More than enough, I run a fairly large + modded server and it doesn't take up nearly as much space as you'd expect.

27 minutes ago, Manythings123 said:

And would that not interfere with the Raid1 or 5 set up?

Nope, they're separate and work on their own.

15 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

rating has nothing to do with quality, just efficiency. That PSU’s quality is meh. Not horrible, not a bomb, it just isn’t quite as good as other PSUs you can get for the same price or less. Seems like you already have it, so I wouldn’t worry all that much. 

Oh, I see, I wasn't sure what aspect they were referring to for the PSU. I thought EVGA made really good PSUs. What would be better options for a reliable PSU then?

2 minutes ago, Manythings123 said:

Oh, I see, I wasn't sure what aspect they were referring to for the PSU. I thought EVGA made really good PSUs. What would be better options for a reliable PSU then?

If you already have it you’re fine, otherwise I would pick the best priced PSU from tier B on this tier list: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

the BQ is tier C, low end. I would not buy a BQ new, but again if you already have it don’t bother buying a new PSU.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

More than enough, I run a fairly large + modded server and it doesn't take up nearly as much space as you'd expect.

Nope, they're separate and work on their own.

Perfect, thank you for the input. I really appreciate it.

Would it just be listed as its own drive and the raid1 array be listed as its own entity?

6 hours ago, Manythings123 said:

Yeah, I would only be using the server with friends. I wouldn't be handing my ip out to random people haha. I'll look into smaller mod packs to use then.

-What about the PSU is worrying? It seems to have plenty of power for the job, is it due to the bronze rating?

-I was aiming to use the NAS in raid one since I don't have ECC memory in my mind it would be easy to make sure the data isn't messed up from the non ECC memory in that config. What do you mean the two drives aren't budge friendly? Is that because they are larger, and I could buy more drives with lesser storage? I am not well versed in what Raid5 is so I will have to take a look at that configuration. I appreciate the recommendation and will do some more research.

- If I did run a 1 tb. M.2 do you think that would be large enough to cover OS and the Minecraft server? And would that not interfere with the Raid1 or 5 set up? I apologize I am not too tech savvy yet so that may be a dumb question.

Thank you for the in-site I really appreciate it.

with a raid1 you essentially pay for 12TB of storage, and get only 6TB usable.

if you go raid5, you could buy 3 3TB drives and get the same amount of storage.

as for the raid5/no ecc story.. i ran a software raid for years without a single byte of corruption, and my unraid box is going the same path.

see it like this: raid isnt a backup solution, goind raid5 clears up some budget towards an external drive for making backups.

9 hours ago, Manythings123 said:

Would it just be listed as its own drive and the raid1 array be listed as its own entity?

A RAID array shows up as its own, whole, independent drive. Just like any other single drive in your system. They look and function the same.