Copper Foil as Cooling Solution

Captain Bride

Hi guys,
I just sold my 8086K (sigh!) and I am experimenting cooling solutions with a Celeron G4930.
I de-lidded it using liquid metal and I'm still using my AIO x3 360 fan water-cooled loop.
Then I places on the CPU a copper foil of 3 microns, instead thermal paste.

1510887506_WeChatImage_20221003131738.thumb.jpg.9cd4d55a707c510bcc4b1f8fa6ad48b8.jpg

478168416_WeChatImage_20221003131747.thumb.jpg.ade0a526c3cb506d0c3d7cba40b612a7.jpg

I'm running P95 Small FFTs from 30 minutes and the temperature peak is 47 Celsius degrees, with an average of 44 Celsius degrees, room temperature of 26 Celsius degrees.

001.thumb.png.ec18c9e4010067c6f41ef5c6c86040aa.png

002.thumb.png.a3a193205125e08d4f7d2bf32745ddfe.png

I can not say that is an ideal testing situation, a Celeron G4930 is basically a "cold CPU" especially using liquid metal mods and water-cooling solutions.

Another consideration, is not possible to create copper foils with copper particles on it, on a similar way of graphite pads?
It could be a cooling solution?

Let's go on experimenting image.gif.eefcca357e33bcbdb01a7f8fdd47844f.gif😉

The copper foil surface is not completely flat, it has pits and denivelations, even though they're microscopic.   Just the same, the surface of the cpu, the metal heatspreader also has pits and microscopic denivelations. 

By applying it over the heatspreader, there's a chance you'll catch particles of air between that copper foil and the heatspreader, and that can cause a decrease in the heat transfer because air acts as insulator - compare it with having windows in your house with two sheets of glass and air trapped between the windows - the air is a thermal insulator. 

We use thermal paste because it's semi-liquid, so as the paste is pressed down (due to heatsink above pressing it when it's mounted, some amount of that liquid paste can penetrate inside the holes and remove the air particles, and therefore improving the heat transfer. That's what thermal paste is for, making a better heat transfer between two metals.

34 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The copper foil surface is not completely flat, it has pits and denivelations, even though they're microscopic.   Just the same, the surface of the cpu, the metal heatspreader also has pits and microscopic denivelations. 

By applying it over the heatspreader, there's a chance you'll catch particles of air between that copper foil and the heatspreader, and that can cause a decrease in the heat transfer because air acts as insulator - compare it with having windows in your house with two sheets of glass and air trapped between the windows - the air is a thermal insulator. 

We use thermal paste because it's semi-liquid, so as the paste is pressed down (due to heatsink above pressing it when it's mounted, some amount of that liquid paste can penetrate inside the holes and remove the air particles, and therefore improving the heat transfer. That's what thermal paste is for, making a better heat transfer between two metals.

yes, that's exactly why I suggested "to create copper foils with copper particles on it, on a similar way of graphite pads"...

I known that the surfaces of CPU lid and heat sink are irregular with microscopical imperfections, thanks anyway

17 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Maybe i should have a go with some aluminium foil and see what happens =p

I was thinking about micron copper foils because of the efficiency in thermal conductivity