How can I drag and drop files to LTO5 tape drive? (HP Ultrium 3000 SAS) Windows 10 Pro

Joe Bauers

Finally got my LTO 5 drive and tape to show up in HP Library & Tape Tool on my Win10 computer, ran all the tests and passed.

I can't get a copy of HPE Openstore software since I am not the original owner of the drive and the license is expired on this old drive.

I just want to drag and drop files from HDDs to tape but cant get the LTO to show up in file explorer.

I installed Veeam but this appears to be backup software that works on repeating schedules. I just want to drag and drop whenever.

What software do you recommend?

14 minutes ago, Joe Bauers said:

Finally got my LTO 5 drive and tape to show up in HP Library & Tape Tool on my Win10 computer, ran all the tests and passed.

I can't get a copy of HPE Openstore software since I am not the original owner of the drive and the license is expired on this old drive.

I just want to drag and drop files from HDDs to tape but cant get the LTO to show up in file explorer.

I installed Veeam but this appears to be backup software that works on repeating schedules. I just want to drag and drop whenever.

What software do you recommend?

Tape drives don't really work like that. They are backup devices by nature, not mass storage.

So I spoke too soon. Apparently LTFS is a thing, Can't see it being that great personally vs just using veeam or other backup software and running custom backup jobs.

11 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

So I spoke too soon. Apparently LTFS is a thing, Can't see it being that great personally vs just using veeam or other backup software and running custom backup jobs.

Apparently HPE Open store can do this but I can't get a copy.  I'll have to look into more veeam options maybe try out their forum since that software is a bit out of my wheelhouse being an LTO / backup noob.

12 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Tape drives don't really work like that. They are backup devices by nature, not mass storage.

The first comment is mostly correct.

Tape drives are not intended to be a "Live Drive" you interact with, due to how they work.  I was also unaware it was a thing that you could even pretend to do it either.

1 minute ago, Joe Bauers said:

Apparently HPE Open store can do this but I can't get a copy.  I'll have to look into more veeam options maybe try out their forum since that software is a bit out of my wheelhouse being an LTO / backup noob.

From what I read, you don't need openstor, LTFS is opensource, I saw links for ibm and others that should work to get you the ability that you want, but please don't say that you are trying to use this as a working drive, I hope that you are just backing up files. The latency would be horrible.

Just now, Blue4130 said:

I hope that you are just backing up files. The latency would be horrible.

Exactly, just as another backup for my current backup hdds, but if and HDD is dropped it could never work again.  A tape drive is more resilient IMO and cant last 30 years easy.  I'll look into LTFS software, thank you.

1 minute ago, Joe Bauers said:

Exactly, just as another backup for my current backup hdds, but if and HDD is dropped it could never work again.  A tape drive is more resilient IMO and cant last 30 years easy.  I'll look into LTFS software, thank you.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum-archive-le?topic=system-downloading-ltfs-tools-windows

42 minutes ago, Joe Bauers said:

I am all for tape and spout it's virtues regularily, but I have only used it in an enterprise situation (mostly due to cost) So I've never looked into drag and dropping files.