CPU Cooler Mounting Post Delidding CPU

So I recently bought a 5900x and noticed they definitely run a bit toasty, even with an AIO. I'm tempted to delid the cpu for better thermal results. My question is, after you delid the cpu, do you have to make any adjustments to the mounting of the AIO, or will it still make good contact with the chip and not leave a gap?

The chip is fine, the cooling isn’t good. They are not hard to cool 😎

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

The chip is fine, the cooling isn’t good. They are not hard to cool 😎

Yeah, delidding a soldered won't help with temps.

He probably doesn't have an AIO that makes direct contact with the cpu dies, for example Arctic included a special mounting bracket that mounts the aio directly over the ryzen dies, improving the temps.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Wow.

Ok so a 5900x is NOT hard to cool and you went straight to 11 with the steps you take to better your cooling solution. In fact, quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing as you can easily crack the die if you're not careful mounting a cooler. Direct-die cooling is usually only something seasoned enthusiasts do for benchmarking reasons, not really for daily driven CPU's. 

What was your case like airflow wise? Proper CPU cooler? Fan setup? Ambient temp? enough thermal paste? 

A normal use should never need to de-lid their mainstream CPU.

There is a bunch of us here that have 5900X with air coolers. I won’t post a screen but these guys know I really lean on my 5900X. 5150MHz boosts for single core, and Linpack loads running at 4500 doing 235w PPT and pushing over 520 GFlops with an air cooler.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Wow.

Ok so a 5900x is NOT hard to cool and you went straight to 11 with the steps you take to better your cooling solution. In fact, quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing as you can easily crack the die if you're not careful mounting a cooler. Direct-die cooling is usually only something seasoned enthusiasts do for benchmarking reasons, not really for daily driven CPU's. 

What was your case like airflow wise? Proper CPU cooler? Fan setup? Ambient temp? enough thermal paste? 

A normal use should never need to de-lid their mainstream CPU.

Well, after further evaluation, I realized between removing the AIO block and putting it back on, I accidentally turned the "Mode" knob so the pump controlled it vs the temps.. Switched it back over and now it runs between 65-75C under load gaming.. Whoops. It was getting around 85-90C. It was blowing my mind that as well as I had everything setup it was running so damn hot. Goes to show you can have many years experience and still make noob mistakes. lol

If you ever decide to delid later, know the base of the cooler/block probrably won't make contact as well, if at all to the chip's core due to the IHS being removed - When mounting a cooler/block on a delided chip you must take into account of the decreased height of the chip's contact surface to the cooler/block.

If your cooler or block will sit on it well that's a good thing because most of the time if using a stock cooler, you'll lose cooler/block contact with the chip.

Aftermarket coolers and blocks tend to not have as many issues with it, based on the cooler/block being used of course.

You must also beware of how much pressure you use for your cooler/block contact, it's possible to crack the chip's core because you then have direct contact to the chip's core and it's made of silicon, which is the same thing as glass when you get down to it.

Having it just snug or maybe a hair past that to the chip's core is fine, will not let it crack the core and will allow it to be cooled well too.

You must also be sure the cooler/block's surface is sitting flat on the chip's surface since when the IHS is removed, there is less surface area for it to sit square on and it's easier to have it sitting/mounted to one side instead sitting flat on the chip's surface.

Just watch things as you go, apply it's mounting pressure evenly across the mount itself, be sure the cooler/block is indeed sitting flat on the chip and it will be fine once done.

My best suggestion is don't do it if you don't have to or if you don't understand what you are doing concerning all that.
If it's working as is, it's best to leave it alone and let it run.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.