ddr4 vs ddr5 for Workstation and gaming

Hey,

ok, so as a video editor by trade, and gamer by night, I’m upgrading soon and was leaning towards the R9 7950x which, in the first place, would have limited me to only ddr5 ram. However, with the recent announcement of the intel 13th Gen, 13900k, and it being cheaper, having more cores, and being backwards compatible with ddr4 ram, I’m definitely leaning more towards team blue.

But that leaves me with a decision in terms of ram. I don’t know a whole lot about the ram differences other than ddr5 is just faster, so I want to ask, what is the difference between ddr4 and ddr5 in laymans terms, and working mostly with the Adobe CC, would it matter that much performance wise, if I were to save a buck and use the less expensive ddr4 memory? At first glance it doesn’t seem to me that it’s worth an extra $300 to $400. I’ll be getting 128gb, if that helps your response. Thanks! 😁😁

I'd wait for reviews to see how they actually stack up before making a purchasing decision.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A worthwhile thing might be the built in ECC inside DDR5. Unlike Ryzen which has supported ECC since first gen, intel has never allowed ECC ram with their consumer cpus, so you can only use normal ddr4.

But normal DDR5, while not having full end to end from memory cell to cpu ECC, still has on-die ECC, so it protects you still infinitely more than DDR4 with no ECC.

I pointed it out as you said workstation. But being that it seems like you won't do some super mission critical stuff, ECC might not be worth it to you, as you can just re-render etc if you encounter an error.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.