Mid Teir vs HPDT CPU's

JCBiggs

Does anyone know if on modern Ryzen CPUs,  5 vs 7 vs 9.. do you actually lose any of the features on the 5 that you might have on the 9?   I know pcie lanes and such can be different, but what truly makes a 5 a 5 and a 9 a 9... is it just the core count or is there more to it, in the instruction set for example?

5 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

is it just the core count or is there more to it, in the instruction set for example?

Just core count and a slight core clock bump as you get higher in the product stack, it's not like on X99 or X299 where half the SKUs had half as many PCIe lanes. The IO die on all the Ryzen chip is the same, not cut down a bit. 

That is a bit different when you get into the APUs since there you lose out on some features (depends on which chip for which features you lose, sometimes it's PCIe Gen 4, sometimes it's PCIe lanes), but the APUs were always a different breed of CPU anyway, usually on completely different silicon (the 5600G, for instance, is monolithic meaning it's only one die, while the 5600X is chiplet, one for the cores and one for the IO die). 

<-- Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory -->

Please ensure when creating new tickets you're selecting the most appropriate subforum category. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

<-- Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory -->

Please ensure when creating new tickets you're selecting the most appropriate subforum category. 

The most appropriate category is the main thread where people read them. You guys move them to the sub forums and 80% of the time they die and never get any answers.   Thanks.

1 minute ago, JCBiggs said:

The most appropriate category is the main thread where people read them. You guys move them to the sub forums and 80% of the time they die and never get any answers.   Thanks.

The subforums are meant to keep things organized. If something is placed in a section, IE General Discussion and its regarding CPUs, it belongs in the CPU subforum, not General Discussion. If you have an issue with how the moderation is handled, please feel free to report the post or PM any of the moderators to discuss. 

https://linustechtips.com/staff/

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Just core count and a slight core clock bump as you get higher in the product stack, it's not like on X99 or X299 where half the SKUs had half as many PCIe lanes. The IO die on all the Ryzen chip is the same, not cut down a bit. 

That is a bit different when you get into the APUs since there you lose out on some features (depends on which chip for which features you lose, sometimes it's PCIe Gen 4, sometimes it's PCIe lanes), but the APUs were always a different breed of CPU anyway, usually on completely different silicon (the 5600G, for instance, is monolithic meaning it's only one die, while the 5600X is chiplet, one for the cores and one for the IO die). 

so that said, If i were to buy a 7600x instead of a 7700x... literally all I am losing is the 2 cores? I ask mainly because I want the higher base clock for better single thread performance, but i dont want to splurge on a 7900x.  Ive got a 3800x now, and I cant see how the new 7600x would be any slower really.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The subforums are meant to keep things organized. If something is placed in a section, IE General Discussion and its regarding CPUs, it belongs in the CPU subforum, not General Discussion. If you have an issue with how the moderation is handled, please feel free to report the post or PM any of the moderators to discuss. 

https://linustechtips.com/staff/

cool. organize it after threads are answered. have a nice day.

Just now, JCBiggs said:

literally all I am losing is the 2 cores?

Yes.

Just now, JCBiggs said:

I ask mainly because I want the higher base clock for better single thread performance, but i dont want to splurge on a 7900x

Not necessarily how it works, the higher up on a the product stack, the better the silicon quality and the higher it will boost on one thread. A 7700X will boost slightly higher than a 7600X, a 7900X will boost higher than a 7700X, etc. All core clock speeds will go down because the chips become utterly uncoolable trying to hit the same all core boosts than the lower core count chips achieve, but the single thread performance does still go up as you go up the stack. 

Whether that actually matters is a different story, it's within 100-200MHz, completely unnoticeable. 

4 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

Ive got a 3800x now, and I cant see how the new 7600x would be any slower really.

It won't, the 7600X will be a lot faster, though realistically if you're already on AM4 you should just get a 5800X3D, for a gaming chip there isn't a reason to spend the $300 on a motherboard, $300 on a CPU, and $150 on a kit of RAM to get the same performance of just spending $400 on a new CPU and keeping everything else, the 5800X3D does match gaming performance of the AM5 chips. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes.

Not necessarily how it works, the higher up on a the product stack, the better the silicon quality and the higher it will boost on one thread. A 7700X will boost slightly higher than a 7600X, a 7900X will boost higher than a 7700X, etc. All core clock speeds will go down because the chips become utterly uncoolable trying to hit the same all core boosts than the lower core count chips achieve, but the single thread performance does still go up as you go up the stack. 

Whether that actually matters is a different story, it's within 100-200MHz, completely unnoticeable. 

It won't, the 7600X will be a lot faster, though realistically if you're already on AM4 you should just get a 5800X3D, for a gaming chip there isn't a reason to spend the $300 on a motherboard, $300 on a CPU, and $150 on a kit of RAM to get the same performance of just spending $400 on a new CPU and keeping everything else, the 5800X3D does match gaming performance of the AM5 chips. 

my assumption is that my workloads are going to be thermal limited and Im not going to be in boost.  Thats why I care more about the base clock.  7900 vs 7600 both have the same base clock (4.7)  so  If  running 2 threads on each, they should both sit on 4.7 and do the same work at  4.7?  right.  again assuming both chips are limited to 4.7

I want the new chip for the ddr5. Im due to upgrade this quarter. we do full system replacements every 3 years. I dont need the cores in  need thread speed. 

3 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

7900 vs 7600 both have the same base clock (4.7)  so  If  running 2 threads on each, they should both sit on 4.7 and do the same work at  4.7?  right.

Nope. Ryzen chips always boost until they hit 95C. If you're just running 2 threads they should be boosting up to somewhere around 5.5GHz-ish, with the 7900X being ~100MHz higher. 

8 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

I want the new chip for the ddr5. Im due to upgrade this quarter. we do full system replacements every 3 years. I dont need the cores in  need thread speed. 

I mean, I guess, but at the same time there are still probably gonna be better options. The 5800X3D has such large and fast cache that the memory bandwidth of DDR5 would be borderline irrelevant, and in a lot of single threaded workloads (it will depend what you're doing for whether it helps or not, though most of the time it will). Raptor Lake is releasing in less than a month, and that should be about the same single thread performance of Ryzen 7000 but for significantly less money and (if Intel is to be believed) not a furnace this time around, unlike the Ryzen 7000 series chips which are next to impossible to keep cool. . 

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Nope. Ryzen chips always boost until they hit 95C. If you're just running 2 threads they should be boosting up to somewhere around 5.5GHz-ish, with the 7900X being ~100MHz higher. 

I mean, I guess, but at the same time there are still probably gonna be better options. The 5800X3D has such large and fast cache that the memory bandwidth of DDR5 would be borderline irrelevant, and in a lot of single threaded workloads (it will depend what you're doing for whether it helps or not, though most of the time it will). Raptor Lake is releasing in less than a month, and that should be about the same single thread performance of Ryzen 7000 but for significantly less money and (if Intel is to be believed) not a furnace this time around, unlike the Ryzen 7000 series chips which are next to impossible to keep cool. . 

Fair enough. I think I will wait for Intel, though unless its a major win for intel, I'm sticking with AMD.    Im also curious to see what the new Microsoft Arm chips look like in the new surface pro as well.  I think were finally approaching the point where I can legitimately get the same amount of work done on a laptop these days, so I'll hold off for some benchmarks.   Maybe Microsoft has been working on something to compete with the m2