Not getting a display AGAIN

BlackManINC

I just made a thread about this fucking shit where someone claimed this is just one of those "temperamental" things. Its really looking like the GPU is fucked and I'm close to just RMA'ing it. This yet again occurs after gaming. Screen froze, I turned it off, turned it back on. Now there is no signal detected. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

6 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I just made a thread about this fucking shit where someone claimed this is just one of those "temperamental" things. Its really looking like the GPU is fucked and I'm close to just RMA'ing it. This yet again occurs after gaming. Screen froze, I turned it off, turned it back on. Now there is no signal detected. 

Temperamental guy here, 

Yeah, that would like it's something else. I'd try a brand new cable first as well as other display outputs on the card before RMA-ing,

Wouldn't count out the PSU though, it's rated fairly low in the tier list, in the cheap/low-end system tier, it may be that it is not giving good power delivery. Wattage is only part of what makes a psu good for a system. A high quality 650w is going to be much better than a 1200w mediocre one. 

On 9/27/2022 at 8:01 PM, BiotechBen said:

Temperamental guy here, 

Yeah, that would like it's something else. I'd try a brand new cable first as well as other display outputs on the card before RMA-ing,

Wouldn't count out the PSU though, it's rated fairly low in the tier list, in the cheap/low-end system tier, it may be that it is not giving good power delivery. Wattage is only part of what makes a psu good for a system. A high quality 650w is going to be much better than a 1200w mediocre one. 

😫It was working again for a few days, and then blacked out again today just sitting there on the desktop. This is with Windows up to date and the bios on default settings. I'm gonna get another AC power cord tomorrow. Hopefully its just a bad cable. 🤞

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

38 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😫It was working again for a few days, and then blacked out again today just sitting there on the desktop. This is with Windows up to date and the bios on default settings. I'm gonna get another AC power cord tomorrow. Hopefully its just a bad cable. 🤞

I wouldn't put the PSU out of the equation, spotty reliability and unexplained power behavior is indicative of a poor quality PSU. 

One upside is that the MSI MPG line of PSU's are budget friendly and high quality.

10 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I wouldn't put the PSU out of the equation, spotty reliability and unexplained power behavior is indicative of a poor quality PSU. 

One upside is that the MSI MPG line of PSU's are budget friendly and high quality.

I've had this power supply for about five years now. Never encountered this issue until now. I'd rather believe its a bad power cord.......hopefully at least. I'll see tomorrow. I think I've had this cord for even longer than the power supply. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

13 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I've had this power supply for about five years now. Never encountered this issue until now. I'd rather believe its a bad power cord.......hopefully at least. I'll see tomorrow. I think I've had this cord for even longer than the power supply. 

As I always say: try the $5 solution before the $100 one.

16 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

As I always say: try the $5 solution before the $100 one.

😓 Ok, so I just replaced the power cord and the power strip itself with another surge protecting one, and the display popped right up. I figured I'd replace the power strip as well while I was at Best Buy since I've had it for a long time. It did just endure a really bad 70 MPH wind thunderstorm that knocked the power out two weeks ago afterall. I'll give it a few days before saying its resolved this time. 🤞

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

53 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😓 Ok, so I just replaced the power cord and the power strip itself with another surge protecting one, and the display popped right up. I figured I'd replace the power strip as well while I was at Best Buy since I've had it for a long time. It did just endure a really bad 70 MPH wind thunderstorm that knocked the power out two weeks ago afterall. I'll give it a few days before saying its resolved this time. 🤞

Stay safe out there, hopefully it's just worn out cables.

13 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Stay safe out there, hopefully it's just worn out cables.

😬 yeah, same to you. Its looking like I got VERY lucky this time. I'm glad I took that Net+ cert course. I would have never even thought of a surge protector to start with. 😅

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@BiotechBen Still cutting off. What is the best power supply I can get at 1000 watts? Not going any lower than that. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I'm also getting debug code AA on the motherboard. I'm told this means it's trying to complete the POST phase, meaning something is fucked. 😕

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@BiotechBenOk, so I installed my old 5700XT and the display came back up. Does this mean my 6800XT is a dud? Should I RMA it? Mind you, it of course did this earlier today as well with the 6800XT, before the display shit the bed again. So I might be speaking ill about the GPU too soon. 🤔

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

6 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

@BiotechBenOk, so I installed my old 5700XT and the display came back up. Does this mean my 6800XT is a dud? Should I RMA it? Mind you, it of course did this earlier today as well with the 6800XT, before the display shit the bed again. So I might be speaking ill about the GPU too soon. 🤔

And you've tried using different display output ports on the card with the same result?

6 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

And you've tried using different display output ports on the card with the same result?

Tried all that. I mean the display did pop up with my old 5700xt though. It might have been a fluke, so I'll see if it's still working with it today. One dude said its a chance the PSU can't handle the 6800xt that well. But some other dudes are betting the GPU is just a dud. I agree more with the latter since the 6800xt is very power efficient. Hardly hits over 200 watts in the game the display froze and blacked out in. And I'm not overclocking either. So I filled out the form to Powercooler to RMA it. I'll see what they say Wednesday. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@BiotechBen🤔Yeah, working fine so far with my 5700XT. Looking more and more like the 6800XT is just faulty. But I do have one of those power supply testers coming today. Are you familiar with this thing here? Its claimed to be reliable. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CLNPPK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

35 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

@BiotechBen🤔Yeah, working fine so far with my 5700XT. Looking more and more like the 6800XT is just faulty. But I do have one of those power supply testers coming today. Are you familiar with this thing here? Its claimed to be reliable. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CLNPPK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Never used one myself but have seen them in use. It's looking like the GPU is a dud.

56 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Never used one myself but have seen them in use. It's looking like the GPU is a dud.

😔 Yeah, I just put the 6800XT back in to be sure. Damn thing didn't even last five minutes before the screen froze using the Display Port cable, and the HDMI output was static..the fuck man. 😂

The 5700XT worked right away and hasn't frozen and blacked out yet. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

😔 Yeah, I just put the 6800XT back in to be sure. Damn thing didn't even last five minutes before the screen froze using the Display Port cable, and the HDMI output was static..the fuck man. 😂

The 5700XT worked right away and hasn't frozen and blacked out yet. 

Looks like you got the fuzzy side of the dropped lollipop, you have lost the silicon lottery.

58 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Looks like you got the fuzzy side of the dropped lollipop, you have lost the silicon lottery.

😑 Yeah, lost it terribly. Only three months, and already shitting itself, not even overclocking. Meanwhile I just got off a one hour gaming session with my 5700XT. Still working fine. This is not looking like a PSU issue at all. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

8 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😑 Yeah, lost it terribly. Only three months, and already shitting itself, not even overclocking. Meanwhile I just got off a one hour gaming session with my 5700XT. Still working fine. This is not looking like a PSU issue at all. 

That's a real bummer. 

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

That's a real bummer. 

😌 Yeah, its a bummer, but in a sense, its a relief. If something were to shit itself, I'd rather it be something that's easy to install, unlike a power supply or god forbid the motherboard itself. I'd be fucked right now if it was the motherboard, for sure. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@BiotechBen 🤔Question does it make sense that a 6800xt is so power hungry for a daisy chain that the display will freeze five minutes after getting to the desktop? This is idle now.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

@BiotechBen 🤔Question does it make sense that a 6800xt is so power hungry for a daisy chain that the display will freeze five minutes after getting to the desktop? This is idle now.

For any higher end card I wouldn't daisy chain, especially for a lower end PSU like yours, if you can run it on separate cables I would 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, BiotechBen said:

For any higher end card I wouldn't daisy chain, especially for a lower end PSU like yours, if you can run it on separate cables I would 

I'm working on it. But what I do not appreciate as the customer is the fact that I'm only hearing about this from an RMA guy. None of them, be it AMD, Nvidia, Powercooler ever said a word about daisy chaining potentially being a power delivery issue on the product page. He seriously told me that its because they basically don't want to take responsibility for their own shit. All it says for the GPU is "two pcie connectors". And what makes this worse, is it says the exact same thing for the 5700xt. 🙃

If daisy chaining can become an issue, then I highly suggest this crucial information to be PINNED at the top in both the "power supplies" and "graphics cards" sub forums of this website since the manufactures are total anal beads about it. I mean seriously, how hard is it for these companies to simply say something like "DAISY CHAINS NOT RECOMMENDED" on the product page and the box itself for fucks sake? This type of hassle can be avoided by the average Joe from the jump. And this is assuming the damn daisy chain is even the issue. 🙄

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@BiotechBen

🙄 Now this RMA clown told me to replace the daisy chain with two separate 8 pins for the GPU. I just turned the damn thing on less than five minutes ago and the monitor is already off, just like before. So as suspected, I wasted my fucking time. This GPU is a dud.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10