Should I build PC with Ryzen 7 5800X, 12600K or wait for 13600k

Go to solution Solved by MD Utsho,

Well everyone, I guess it's better to wait for upcoming CPU's and then decide later. Since 13600K have fore E and P cores. It'll be better than 5800x. 
Since I already have a pc to work on, I'll keep working on this one until they release. I shouldn't rush things and regret later. 

Hey everyone
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC 
For now i'll only change CPU, MOBO, RAM, CPU cooler and buy a new NVME SSD

I'm 3D artist, and I'll do a lot of multitasking, (Blender, Zbrush, Substance painter and more) 
I also do a lot of gaming, but right now my main priority is multitasking,
Gonna ignore ryzen 7000 series for DDR5 only.
It's too expensive for me, since I'll get 32GB of ram.

We also have to keep the price of the MOBO in mind, I've heard I can get good B series MOBO for AMD for much lower price than Intel. 
but willing to spend at least 150-200$ on a good budget MOBO if I have to. (Also let me know which MOBO should I get for the particular CPU)

So what should I do? 
Thanks.

4 minutes ago, MD Utsho said:

but right now my main priority is multitasking,

amd is kinda knocking multitasking out of the park right now so if your loads are heavy on multithreading then amd.

If you can wait, wait. It's known that 13th Gen will be terrific for multitasking, and you should go DDR5. Otherwise you'll have to buy twice to upgrade your CPU. 

Otherwise today, no matter what, you'll be buying into a dead end if you go DDR4.

If you're OK with buying twice, just go 5900X, a decent B550 board like an MSI Tomahawk or Gaming Plus, CL16 3600 RAM, call it a day. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Heh.  Depends if you have any use for ecores or not. For gamers not only not but probably never will.  Apparently there is a lag issue. 

That makes the 12600k effectively a 12400(k) now the 12400f does compete favorably against the 5600x.  I did something almost exactly the same as you only a little while ago and was talked into the 5700x.  Though the jury is still out.  A 12700f is an option.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  Depends if you have any use for ecores or not. For gamers not only not but probably never will.  Apparently there is a lag issue. 

That makes the 12600k effectively a 12400(k) now the 12400f does compete favorably against the 5600x.  I did something almost exactly the same as you only a little while ago and was talked into the 5700x.  Though the jury is still out.  A 12700f is an option.

12700F is not available here. So i've only few choices if I go with previous gen. 5600x 5800x 12400, 12500 & 12600k in my budget. 
These intel cpu has low clock speed though, compared to AMD. 
So not sure what should I pick, have to consider the price for the MOBO too. 

But I guess If i wait for 13th gen, and then get x690 mobo instead of x790 that might work too. (of x790 get's too pricey)

oh lol this is getting asked alot high capacity ddr5 should be cheaper, no idea if this is actually the case, but the motherboards alone ruin the cost

if your sure things with actually use the e cores jsut buy 12th gen when its being sold off, if not, 5900xs are always going on the cheap, but things might get cut prices unevenly, havent kept up.

Also randomly if youre in winnipeg mb, I have a good b450 board and dual rank 2x16 GB ddr4 at 3600 cl14, on a good memory controller it should be able to sacle upo to higher lcocks with more voltage since its micron rev e, but only tested on systems with a 1600x (limited to 3533) and 8700k (garbonzo imc was unstable at 3800 mhz)

edit: nvm lol, one day ill find someone who wants my ram...

32 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

If you can wait, wait. It's known that 13th Gen will be terrific for multitasking, and you should go DDR5. Otherwise you'll have to buy twice to upgrade your CPU. 

Otherwise today, no matter what, you'll be buying into a dead end if you go DDR4.

If you're OK with buying twice, just go 5900X, a decent B550 board like an MSI Tomahawk or Gaming Plus, CL16 3600 RAM, call it a day. 

I'm using DDR3 ram right now xD Even if I get 3200MHZ CL16 ram that'll be a big upgrade for me
But since i'm already using 16GB of ram, I need more ram for what kind of work I do, So going for 32GB of ram, and getting 32GB of ram and DDR5 will be too expensive for me. 
3200MHZ will be fine for me I guess for couple years. 

57 minutes ago, MD Utsho said:

Hey everyone
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC 
For now i'll only change CPU, MOBO, RAM, CPU cooler and buy a new NVME SSD

I'm 3D artist, and I'll do a lot of multitasking, (Blender, Zbrush, Substance painter and more) 
I also do a lot of gaming, but right now my main priority is multitasking,
Gonna ignore ryzen 7000 series for DDR5 only.
It's too expensive for me, since I'll get 32GB of ram.

We also have to keep the price of the MOBO in mind, I've heard I can get good B series MOBO for AMD for much lower price than Intel. 
but willing to spend at least 150-200$ on a good budget MOBO if I have to. (Also let me know which MOBO should I get for the particular CPU)

So what should I do? 
Thanks.

If you can wait a bit I'd say get a 13600K : 6 Pcores + 8 Ecores will make it way better than a 5800X or 12600K

And it's still LGA1700, and DDR4 compatible if needed, not like new Ryzens which'll need new expensive AM5 boards and DDR5

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Well everyone, I guess it's better to wait for upcoming CPU's and then decide later. Since 13600K have fore E and P cores. It'll be better than 5800x. 
Since I already have a pc to work on, I'll keep working on this one until they release. I shouldn't rush things and regret later. 

1 hour ago, MD Utsho said:

Probably wise, also buys you time to save in the event Raptor Lake isn't as good as Zen 4.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

5 hours ago, Xii-Nyth said:

oh lol this is getting asked alot high capacity ddr5 should be cheaper, no idea if this is actually the case, but the motherboards alone ruin the cost

if your sure things with actually use the e cores jsut buy 12th gen when its being sold off, if not, 5900xs are always going on the cheap, but things might get cut prices unevenly, havent kept up.

Also randomly if youre in winnipeg mb, I have a good b450 board and dual rank 2x16 GB ddr4 at 3600 cl14, on a good memory controller it should be able to sacle upo to higher lcocks with more voltage since its micron rev e, but only tested on systems with a 1600x (limited to 3533) and 8700k (garbonzo imc was unstable at 3800 mhz)

edit: nvm lol, one day ill find someone who wants my ram...

That’s what she said….ohwait….

Selling dram is sort of what eBay is for… or the classifieds here which is a lot cheaper but has minimum requirements.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, MD Utsho said:

I'm using DDR3 ram right now xD Even if I get 3200MHZ CL16 ram that'll be a big upgrade for me
But since i'm already using 16GB of ram, I need more ram for what kind of work I do, So going for 32GB of ram, and getting 32GB of ram and DDR5 will be too expensive for me. 
3200MHZ will be fine for me I guess for couple years. 

“YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT MY 800Mhz DDR2 on my core 2 board!!!  MUHAHAHAhahahah!”

[main spot circles stage left.  Pull frame on Spotty grinding out a cigarette on the pavement.  Spotty is standing in front of the back of a van with its doors open containing a PDP1170 with a punch card reader]

[pull focus flash zoom on spotty’s face]

[@Spotty] “I beg to differ…”

#Theme plays#

[kill spotlight]
[ end scene]

There’s actually some pretty decent ddr3 out there.  Really Good ddr3 is better than bad early ddr4, if only just barely.  Just like there’s really good ddr2 that’s better than bad early ddr3.  It’s a major reason so many people think ddr5 will suck a lot less in a year or two.

Edited by Bombastinator