I found mercury??? On my pc cover? How did it go on there? where did it come from?

zaidh99

So I wanted to do the regular pc cleanup, opened the side panel and there is something slipped on the table it acts like mercury not 100% positive and then I look at the panel and I see a bit on it I will attach pictures 

also its worth mentioning that I noticed some small little pieces seem to be broken 

plus that my cpu temp was going high yesterday image.thumb.jpg.b5545c771dc2c995c75152a919c35fd9.jpg

here is the pieces 

image.thumb.jpg.39aca579a73f4499dc5d816c7a56fa86.jpg

and the weird thing is where the thing is on the panel has a block infront of it not the motherboard

like thisimage.thumb.jpg.2c75362a7f95cef74e2e7f0243f171b7.jpg

which is the power supply and I think the storage disks 

any idea what’s happening with my pc 😞 I am very worried something exploded lol

7 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

So I wanted to do the regular pc cleanup, opened the side panel and there is something slipped on the table it acts like mercury not 100% positive and then I look at the panel and I see a bit on it I will attach pictures 

also its worth mentioning that I noticed some small little pieces seem to be broken 

plus that my cpu temp was going high yesterday 

here is the pieces 

and the weird thing is where the thing is on the panel has a block infront of it not the motherboard

like this

which is the power supply and I think the storage disks 

any idea what’s happening with my pc 😞 I am very worried something exploded lol

Sure it's not thermal paste?

-> Moved to Teoubleshooting

It's not mercury since it would be liquid and make beads, plus there is no way you'd find any in a consumer device nowadays. Seems just like thermal paste/pad residue.

What you could find as malleable/melty metal is gallium if the machine used "liquid metal" as TIM, not dangerous at all and doesn't look like a machine that would though.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Okay now I sound stupid, I checked my thermal paste and I forgot that I had changed the type of it, grizzy is the same color!

my bad false alarm 

probably this was left since I added the thermal paste it wouldnt make sense other wise

Thanks all, the temperature rising probably coincidence with the heat where I live increasing I gotta get myself a new cpu air cooler 

Again want to thank all, to answer stuff

probably during implementing it some got in the cover without me noticing

It is indeed thermal grizzy product 

the pieces not sure what they are

the temperature increase for the cpu probably caused by ambient temperature + stock fan 

this place is awesome thanks for always informative and fast replies everyone

Just wanted to show some cool? thing

i tried to clean it off of the table and it just kept moving and it fill down on.m the ground.

ps its a pain to clean it 😐image.thumb.jpg.e63ee963dc10add627ae2ebe47fd447f.jpg

33 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

Just wanted to show some cool? thing

i tried to clean it off of the table and it just kept moving and it fill down on.m the ground.

ps its a pain to clean it 😐image.thumb.jpg.e63ee963dc10add627ae2ebe47fd447f.jpg

You should REALLY check your cpu, gpu,... wherever you put that paste on because if it did indeed leak it can short your pc as it is conductive.

Its why I just dont recommend liquid metal at all 😛

26 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You should REALLY check your cpu, gpu,... wherever you put that paste on because if it did indeed leak it can short your pc as it is conductive.

Its why I just dont recommend liquid metal at all 😛

@jaslioni cant see any trace of it around the whole pc motherboard etc, that thermal paste was used for my cpu, do you think its possible it leaked out without it leaving any trance on any part? Its just seems so unlikely it got to the side panel 

Just now, zaidh99 said:

@jaslioni cant see any trace of it around the whole pc motherboard etc, that thermal paste was used for my cpu, do you think its possible it leaked out without it leaving any trance on any part? Its just seems so unlikely it got to the side panel 

That does sound like just spillage during application

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That does sound like just spillage during application

Okay thanks, I will probably get a better air cooling for the cpu soon so I will check it then and j will keep an eye to the temp

thanks a lot for the input

32 minutes ago, zaidh99 said:

Okay thanks, I will probably get a better air cooling for the cpu soon so I will check it then and j will keep an eye to the temp

thanks a lot for the input

Yeah dont watse more on lm. I mean the 20$ that a vial costs could've bought you a thermalright cooler that would do better than the stock ever could 😛

UPDATE:

I went to the shop to get a new fan to have better CPU temperatures and while they were removing the old fan, the fan looked half destroyed they applied this thing ae0d9f4c-dc86-4e4c-b469-fc82cc32288d.thumb.jpg.f8919805534b28f53367c59adada5699.jpg

And it spelled over the fan and ruined it, not sure when that happened but I guess recently? since the temperature reached 95C
Now with a new fan and a real thermal paste everything is running good, max temperature of 62 C
Thanks everyone for tunning in 🙂