Plex Server?

Hendricks3

I am trying to setup a plex server but instead of buying and ripping DvD and Blu Rays i’d rather buy movies and tv shows on itunes and just convert them over to plex. So question is what is the easier less cumbersome way to do it? Any tips and help be greatly appreciate it thanks in advance

16 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

I am trying to setup a plex server but instead of buying and ripping DvD and Blu Rays i’d rather buy movies and tv shows on itunes and just convert them over to plex. So question is what is the easier less cumbersome way to do it? Any tips and help be greatly appreciate it thanks in advance

Technically, when you buy movie through a streaming service, in this case itunes, you don't actually own the movie and you don't have the movie file, just perpetual streaming rights as long as the service has them.

Just now, BiotechBen said:

Technically, when you buy movie through a streaming service, in this case itunes, you don't actually own the movie and you don't have the movie file, just perpetual streaming rights as long as the service has them.

But i can download it can’t i?

Just now, Hendricks3 said:

But i can download it can’t i?

Theoretically yes, but it's a single time download and works more like a cache than an actual download. Think of it like pre-loading shaders.

Not that I know of. It's digital, so you don't own it the same way you'd own a DVD or any other pysical copy. If you were to download it, it'd be piracy. I don't see a way around the digital purchase DRM.

Dream-phone: USB type-c (3.1), 1440p, 5-inch, removable battery, 32gb RAMdrive, sd card slot, stock Android, transparent atomic purple build, 9050 mah battery, waterproof AF, nuclear powered, ac wifi is fine.
                           OR a one-of-a-kind iphone that runs Android.

Disk is always superior in every way in terms of picture and audio quality. The bitrates are significantly higher and DVD should be avoided at all costs due to dull and blurry images.

Or you can download remux which is disk rips.

Hope this helps. 

On 9/25/2022 at 6:19 PM, Hendricks3 said:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201128288-why-don-t-videos-from-itunes-amazon-etc-play/

Basically any movie you buy from iTunes will include DRM (Digital Rights Management) in the downloaded movie file. Plex does not have the capability of connecting to iTunes Servers and verifying the DRM (or any other major digital movie vendor).

Realistically, there is no easy way to buy a movie from iTunes and "convert" it to work via Plex. In theory there are ways to convert the file itself to strip out the DRM, but I cannot speak about whether it's effective - also, please be aware that in some countries, stripping DRM is illegal.

Frankly, the "easiest" way to solve your problem is to buy the movie on iTunes, and then... "download"... *wink wink* a copy of it elsewhere. (Arrrg).

Note: I do not condone piracy or pass judgement on those that do in these situations.

Personally, I went the route of buying Blu-Ray movies and ripping them. Much higher quality than you'd get from iTunes movies anyway. Now one of these days I need to upgrade my BD Drive to a 4K one so I can rip 4K Blu-Rays...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)