Solution to Linus's KVM switching issue via USB

Arkwolf

In the recent video released on Youtube (My wife vetoed my plan), Linus was unable to use the fiber optic hub since the KVM cant sniff the the USB3.0 line and using the USB2.0 option wasn't viable.

An alternative to solve this issue would be to use something like an ESP8266 and ESPHome software to emulate a keyboard and connect it to the HID port on the KVM. Then just integrate it into ESPHome. You could then control it via Home Assistant to control the toggle between PC1 and PC2.

There is also other alternatives such as arduino or pi pico and different methods of controlling it such as a basic webserver. It achieves the same goal at a fraction of the price and is probably more reliable then other methods due to the simplicity (non complex protocols).

ESP8266 Keyboard Emulator Guide

ESPHome Intergration guide for Home Assistant

I guess this post is more to bring attention to the LTT crew about an alternative then needing to go down the HDMI and USB over ethernet.

i have a hunch that this is more mess than linus would want to get into.

the goal here is that he can just sit down at the pc and punch his hotkey to get into his system, then punch it again to get back to the kid-appropriate one.

if some webapp or whatever would be appropriate, you can just hook into the KVM's buttons with an arduino and ethernet shield for access.

Your suggestion was one I already suggested.

It does not seem any more complicated then having to have two separate connections with one just being for usb over ethernet just for a keyboard.

Edited by Arkwolf
Grammar

the input latency would be atrocious 

and linus wants to be-able to game I assume 

4 hours ago, Legitsu said:

the input latency would be atrocious 

and linus wants to be-able to game I assume 

He obviously wouldn't be using that to game.
The purpose of this is solely to send a keyboard command through the HID port with an Arduino. Sure it wouldn't be as easy as USB over ethernet, but it should work and the switching would be done through his phone and not a keyboard command at the desk, meaning even his kids or their friends wouldn't be able to just switch to his personal machine if they know the command.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro