MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max - Compatibility with Ryzen 9 5000?

Hi,

I got new MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboard and I am wondering if I can use Ryzen 9 5950x or 5900x CPU on it with standard airflow on VRM? I want to use it at stock setting no overclocking. Many people suggest that it is the same motherboard as B450 Tomahawk max. is that true?

4 minutes ago, bkrenderman said:

Many people suggest that it is the same motherboard as B450 Tomahawk max. is that true?

not the same motherboard, but it has a similarly capable VRM. At stock settings, it should competently handle a Ryzen 9 CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thanks. So it can handle 5950x at stock then. That's good to know.

Also like to know when I was looking at the motherboard tier list on this forum I noticed mention of 125A for this motherboard in tier D. Is that 125A same as 125 watts that I see in HWinfo? 

I have one dead/burned  B450 Tomahawk max lying around. is it possible that I can use the tomahawk VRM heatsink on this Gaming plus max? can it give me advantage on VRM cooling? 

4 hours ago, bkrenderman said:

I have one dead/burned  B450 Tomahawk max lying around. is it possible that I can use the tomahawk VRM heatsink on this Gaming plus max? can it give me advantage on VRM cooling? 

The pinhole layout on the gaming plus may not be the same as the tomahawk, if it is though the vrm heatsink is a bit better and may translate to a 5c drop in mosfet temps.

Out of curiosity why go for the gaming plus max over a similarly cheap b550 with a better vrm and memory support?

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

6 hours ago, TheDankKoosh said:

The pinhole layout on the gaming plus may not be the same as the tomahawk, if it is though the vrm heatsink is a bit better and may translate to a 5c drop in mosfet temps.

Out of curiosity why go for the gaming plus max over a similarly cheap b550 with a better vrm and memory support?

I have ASrock B450 Pro 4 with Ryzen 1600x on it. this motherboard is damaged (is what I think because I am getting random shutdowns and start problems) so I wanted replacement for it. I wanted to buy B550 initially but as far as i know my CPU 1600x will not be supported on that motherboard. so i wanted to buy something I can find for cheap but not too cheap as I may plan to upgrade CPU in distant future (hopefully to 5900x)

motherboards in my country are very expensive but I managed to get this one in amazon sale for $90 usd. all other options even basic mobos are above $120. 

anyway if you can suggest me better cheap B550 which is better that Gaming plus max then I will look for it and if I find it cheaper then I will buy it as i have 1 week time to cancel the order.