Permission to access all files?

Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,

Since you mentioned a pi, I'll assume some sort of Linux based distro. There is already an "account" for that, root. You could also launch your file browser as root when you need to do things like this. 

This is done on purpose, it would not be suggested to log in as root, or make yourself root all the time. 

How do I give myself/my user account permission to edit, read and execute all files in all locations. For example on my raspberry pi 4 I want to give myself permission to edit all the files and folders in /var/ via the built in files GUI rather than in sudo in terminal. What do I do?

I also lack post processing when I post so please refresh before replying as I probably edited my response!

Quote me if you want a reply! :)

Since you mentioned a pi, I'll assume some sort of Linux based distro. There is already an "account" for that, root. You could also launch your file browser as root when you need to do things like this. 

This is done on purpose, it would not be suggested to log in as root, or make yourself root all the time. 

9 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Right, I forgot about gksudo. Thanks man!

I also lack post processing when I post so please refresh before replying as I probably edited my response!

Quote me if you want a reply! :)

3 minutes ago, Cat101 said:

Right, I forgot about gksudo. Thanks man!

Yep. In some distros gksudo has been eliminated / depreciated but then sudo (name of your file browser) should still work. At least in my experience. 

On 9/22/2022 at 5:36 PM, Cat101 said:

How do I give myself/my user account permission to edit, read and execute all files in all locations. For example on my raspberry pi 4 I want to give myself permission to edit all the files and folders in /var/ via the built in files GUI rather than in sudo in terminal. What do I do?

Login under the root account

if there is no root setup you can still do the following:

sudo su -

this will ask for your user password  after wich you will be loggend in as root.

(you can verify this with : the $ at the end of the prompt should now be a #)

in the root prompt

passwd

will let you set a password for root,

then

exit
su

this will ask you for the password you just set and log you in to root ,  su = switch user (wich defaults to root if no username is given)

after this you should also be able to just login as root on startup if you need to,

if you do choose to go this way, i recommend setting a painfull color as gui theme (i personally prefer a mostly red gui for root) this wil allert you whenever you have a window opened as root started with su from a command line , logged in or started with sudo