Upgraded my old setup with the new Samsung ark and it's amazing!

Pandamonium72

My system isn't the newest thing anymore, but my screens needed an upgrade. I am always of the same mindset when it comes to screens or car tires, don't skimp. The 2 portrait screens I had were literally the 1st and 2nd pc screens I ever had back from freshman year high school. If you buy quality screens they will absolutely outlive your pc. 

I have to say it's pretty nice being able to simplify my setup (cables and Mounts expecialy) with the ark. It really is an amazing display. Pictures don't do it justice but it really is like have a normal large movie theater for a pc screen. (in terms of field of view) The speakers are absolutely stunning for "TV" speakers. 

My only two slite annoyances with this screen are, that I wish it's lowest hight was lower and that the screens settings seem dumbed down or appleafied compared to my LG c10.

Oh and that the instructions made it clearer that the screen won't rotate unless at its max height. (makes sense but I wish that was clearer, I could see people forcing it, totally not me tho) 

Ps. If anyone has questions for me about the ark (or anything else about my setup) please feel free to ask. I feel like info on it is kinda hard to find rn and that's mainly why I wanted to make this post. To help peeps like me who might have questions. 

Pss. S**t I forgot to represent, imagine the blk and orange ltt water bottle on my desk. It's usually there. 

Psss. I think I posted this in not the most apt place my b. 30 and I still suck with forums 

For thoes curious here are my system specs:

Gigabyte 3090 WATERFORCE aio

3950x

Gigabyte cpu 240 aio

Asus x570 i

Gskill neo 32bg ddr4 3600mhz

Had 2 gigabyte 1tb mvme pcie Gen 4 drives but fk gigabyte worst drives I've ever had. Replaced them with two Samsung 980 2tb mvmes Gen 4

2, 2tb rgb t force ssds 

And 1200 Watt Silverstone psu 

All in the Silverstone ld03

20220917_115439.jpg

20220920_222610.jpg

20220920_222556.jpg

Edited by Pandamonium72
Cuz I'm a derp

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Those are some humongous monitors, what size?

From the original setup it's 2 viewsonic 24" 1080p, the middle top is some old a tier Korean 27" 1440p and the curved one is the Samsung crg9 49" 32:9

4 minutes ago, Pandamonium72 said:

From the original setup it's 2 viewsonic 24" 1080p, the middle top is some old a tier Korean 27" 1440p and the curved one is the Samsung crg9 49" 32:9

How good were the 2 viewsonics? They look kinda old so maybe i can snag a good cheap used monitor

26 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

How good were the 2 viewsonics? They look kinda old so maybe i can snag a good cheap used monitor

I mean best I can say is "fine" probe the most basic 1080p screen u can get. But served me well for.... 14ish years. No burn in or anything. Only thing is the power led is kinda dim and flickers now. For productivity they are perfect, for gaming, if you have used better screens they will probably feel pretty bad, if it's ur first gaming pc screen you will think it's good. Ignorance is bliss as they say

Good god... You need a deeper desk than that, otherwise how would you see the whole screen when you're typing or gaming with M+K, you're not a horse.... or are you...

I have about the same desk depth with a 32 inch monitor, I had to set the screen so far back with a monitor arm in order to perfectly see the whole screen without turning my head.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

-> Moved to Displays

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My desk is 30" deep and the Optimum viewig distance for this screen is 31". I put sliders under the base so I can move the screen back and forth. The scre is that far forward because when I'm playing space Sim games the joysticks have u sitting farther back

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Displays

Thank you for moving this post to the correct place =) 

Thanks for posting up!  I've been on the fence.  I really, really want one...I just have some reservations, and was really wanting to see installations on aftermarket stands.  It really does underscore how HALF THE DAMN SCREEN IS MISSING on the CRG9.

I agree, it should sit lower, ideally ~2" or so off the desk surface.  My plan would be to mount it to the same floor stand I have my 40" bolted to currently.  Floor stand also would pull the monitor back a smidgen further and free up a LOT of desktop space.  Granted, my desk is only 24" deep.  But @Dukesilver27- must have some strange eyesight, because I could easily go bigger than 40" and comfortably. 

I have the screen pulled as far forward as I can for when I play star citizen (the main game I'm playing rn) I slide the screen to the back of the desk when I'm using m+K. The included stand is pretty nice because it can be one handed operations to rotate the screen to portrait mode. But if u do want it lower then ya ull need your own stand. It does come with other mountng hardware. Idk what standard it is

I have one of these (currently holding up my 40" AOC):

https://vivo-us.com/collections/tv-mounts-and-carts/products/stand-tv07

Says the capacity is 44 lbs, and from what I can tell the ark is about 46-47 lbs (without stand).  So I figure it will be fine, since it's sitting against the back of my desk (meaning the stand can't tip forward).  I actually put black pipe insulation around the post, so there's no rubbing at all.

...What I have to do now is devise the testicular fortitude to trust Samsung with 3 grand.

On 9/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, Pandamonium72 said:

My desk is 30" deep and the Optimum viewig distance for this screen is 31". I put sliders under the base so I can move the screen back and forth. The scre is that far forward because when I'm playing space Sim games the joysticks have u sitting farther back

I dunno where you got that number from but your way out from official standards.

You dont want to be closer than 35" for a 55" 16:9 4k display, and ideally no further than 92".

For a person with 20/20 vision, a display of that size and resolution has a visual acuity distance of 44" (3.7feet).

What this means is that if u sit closer you will be able to notice the screen door effect created by the pixel pitch of the display..or in other words ull start to notice the individual pixels to some degree.

Any further away than 44"(3.7feet) and the finest details (individual pixels) will start to blur together. You actually want some degree of this especially for movies, less so for desktop uses such as text based work.

The maximum distance of 92" (7.7feet) is based on the THX standard for a display to take up at least 30 degrees of your field of view,

The final bit of info is the THX minimum distance. This is closer than visual acuity and is based on your FOV. That figure in this case is 35" (2.9feet)

70 degrees is the maximum FOV ur screen should take up as the human eye has a 140 degree FOV on average, meaning if u look at the far left or right of the screen, u can still see the other side with ur peripheral vision when sitting at a distance that allows for a 70 degree FOV when looking at the center of the screen, any closer and u loose than peripheral vision when looking at the far sides.

Ofc its down to personal preference in the end, but i'm just pointing this out  🙂

Personally i'd stick as close to the visual acuity distance of 44"(3.7feet) as is comfortable.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Thanks for the info. Samsung says 80cm +. I think I end up sitting around 3.5ft away because I can't pull my chair any closer (the flight sticks hit the desk)  and  once I lean back in my chair I'm further away. But I can say that even at 1-2 ft away u are not going to see individual pixels, text won't look quite as sharp but no pixels. For sim games and head tracking having the screen take up more of your fov helps with the immersion

http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDensityCalculator.html#find:density,pxW:3840,pxH:2160,size:55,sizeUnit:in,axis:diag,distance:35,distUnit:in

I tend to go by this, not the ridiculous 92" distance pundits.  THX is an irrelevant standard for PC gaming.  Movie viewing, sure--especially because all of the oddly blocked cuts .3 second cut take action scenes will give you a headache if you're too close (shit movies is the reason, not the distance itself).

Ya looking at the screen closely there is zero screen door effect. Even at stupid close distances 

Also FYI I don't seem able to use tobii eye tracker 5 with the ark, I need to tinker with it more but for now it's a naw 

I pulled the trigger.  But at this rate, it may take weeks before I can go pick it up.  This is my current setup (old photo).  Desk should be ~ the same width as the Ark (48x24x29.75)

DSC_0490.thumb.JPG.10ffaf9e3542442626d12480026ae0a9.JPG

Nice the one thing I would be concerned with is if the desk has a support in the middle. But ur putting it on a stand so u don't care about the weight. 

57 minutes ago, Pandamonium72 said:

Nice the one thing I would be concerned with is if the desk has a support in the middle. But ur putting it on a stand so u don't care about the weight. 

Nope.  I wouldn't have gone with a glass desk if I was forced to put any weight on it.

DSC_0491.thumb.JPG.2cab081776d86180751099650e1affa2.JPG

Oh it's Gass? I assumed it was acrylic. It must be nice to have a glass cold desk 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:21 AM, Pandamonium72 said:

Also FYI I don't seem able to use tobii eye tracker 5 with the ark, I need to tinker with it more but for now it's a naw 

nm i got tobi to work again