Is it safe to overclock without touching the voltage?

MD Utsho
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
9 minutes ago, MD Utsho said:

I see, So for me only 80mhz on core clock and 125 on mem clock without touching the voltage isn't harmful right? Since even after rdr2 for hours didn't find any artifacts or crashes 

Yeah, it's fine. Without touching voltage, there isn't a way to harm the GPU, only make it unstable and have the occasional crash if you push it too far (which given you ran RDR2 for hours, you haven't pushed it too far). Even if you did want to touch the voltage, Wattman locks the voltage down enough by default that raising it to the point where you'll have issues in the future is basically impossible without going out of your way to do so. 

Until you get into the realm of soft powerplay tables, BIOS modding, etc., overclocking the card isn't harmful no matter what you do in Wattman. 

I've Sapphire RX590 8gb OC edition card, The base clock is 1560, and VRAM's base clock is 2100MHZ
I overclocked it to 1640mhz and for the Vram 2250mhz, (without touching the voltage) 
The voltage control is not on automatic mode, It's on Manual mode, set to default 1150mV for the GPU core clock, and default 950mV for the Vram. 

I didn't face any artifact or system crash/freeze. Played game for hours without any issue. 
Temp is also under control (58-64C)
So my question is, Is it completely safe to overclock like this without touching the voltage? or It'll degrade my GPU lifespan somehow? 
If it's going to then for me it's not worth it to get some extra fps. (Specially with current GPU market in here)

If any export out there knows anything about this, Please let me know
Thanks. 

image_2022-09-21_012120158.png

image_2022-09-21_012129566.png

4 minutes ago, MD Utsho said:

I've Sapphire RX590 8gb OC edition card, The base clock is 1560, and VRAM's base clock is 2100MHZ
I overclocked it to 1640mhz and for the Vram 2250mhz, (without touching the voltage) 
The voltage control is not on automatic mode, It's on Manual mode, set to default 1150mV for the GPU core clock, and default 950mV for the Vram. 

I didn't face any artifact or system crash/freeze. Played game for hours without any issue. 
Temp is also under control (58-64C)
So my question is, Is it completely safe to overclock like this without touching the voltage? or It'll degrade my GPU lifespan somehow? 
If it's going to then for me it's not worth it to get some extra fps. (Specially with current GPU market in here)

If any export out there knows anything about this, Please let me know
Thanks. 

image_2022-09-21_012120158.png

image_2022-09-21_012129566.png

it is safe but only if you touch it a little, like 5-10 mhz.

if u arent sure will it damage ur gpu, then search for overclocking guides for this gpu

As long as it's stable, it's fine.

Once you start seeing artifacts or crashes, increase the voltage or lower the clock speed a little.

EDIT: run Furmark for stability, if it can handle a few hours of Furmark, the overclock is fine.

8 minutes ago, bal723 said:

it is safe but only if you touch it a little, like 5-10 mhz.

if u arent sure will it damage ur gpu, then search for overclocking guides for this gpu

this isnt true.
Often overclocking can be done while lowering voltage, and you can keepl votage the same d get a bit too. 
It varies a lot, but my 1070ti got like +125core/+250 mem without any voltatge change at all

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

this isnt true.
Often overclocking can be done while lowering voltage, and you can keepl votage the same d get a bit too. 
It varies a lot, but my 1070ti got like +125core/+250 mem without any voltatge change at all

I see, So for me only 80mhz on core clock and 125 on mem clock without touching the voltage isn't harmful right? Since even after rdr2 for hours didn't find any artifacts or crashes 

9 minutes ago, MD Utsho said:

Yeah, it's fine. Without touching voltage, there isn't a way to harm the GPU, only make it unstable and have the occasional crash if you push it too far (which given you ran RDR2 for hours, you haven't pushed it too far). Even if you did want to touch the voltage, Wattman locks the voltage down enough by default that raising it to the point where you'll have issues in the future is basically impossible without going out of your way to do so. 

Until you get into the realm of soft powerplay tables, BIOS modding, etc., overclocking the card isn't harmful no matter what you do in Wattman.