Cable organisation

Stentorian

Hi there everyone, 

I'm not sure if I put this post in the correct place or not, so please move it accordingly. 

I've been meaning to write this post for a while now and keep forgetting to do so. Im struggling to get some sleep at the moment so I thought I'd write it now and get it out of the way. 

It's mainly just a case of curiosity, but also I've been needing a new way of organizing things myself. 

I'm quite the hoarder when it comes to tech. I keep every cable I've ever gotten, even the cheap crappy micro USB cables that come with most generic products on Amazon. I keep them for the "just in-case" moment. Some of them have had their uses. I've had family members who have needed a generic lightning or USB c cable and I've got one to hand to lend to them. But, then there's also ones like the fact that I still own the proprietary headphones that came with the original Sony Ericssons. I don't want to throw anything away, but I want to be able to find a way to keep it better organized. 

Currently, I use a big plastic tub in which I have Ziploc bags for each category of cable. I have them labeled using sticky notes, however it's not useful when you have over 15 Ziploc bags and it's difficult to find a cable when you need one. I have very limited space and would like the most efficient way possible of storing cables without taking up too much space. I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations, but I'm more interested in what everyone else is doing in terms of storing cables, whether that would be professionally or personally. Please let me know what you do to store your cables (pictures would be helpful, but not a necessity). 

Many thanks,

Ben

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Boot: Crucial P2 500GB (M.2)

SSD: Crucial BX500 1TB

HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB

PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750W

Case: IONZ KZ10

Current Laptop:

Spoiler

Name: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 20SL003JUK

CPU: Intel i7-1065G7 @ 3GHz

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz

SSD: 480GB Western Digital M.2

Secondary SSD: 240GB Adata SATA

Other Gear:

Spoiler

Phone: Google Pixel 6 (128GB)

Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 3

Microphone: Blue Snowball Ice

Speakers: Creative T100

I choose 2-3 of the best cables and throw the rest out. Then I wrap themselves up with themselves and they go into a box. No organization. However, there are only about 10-15 cables in there. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

I also hoarded quite some tech / cables, but at some point realized would never find a use for 95% of it ever again. When in doubt I just get rid of it. In the one off chance I happen to need that cable again I'll buy a new one. Happens max once a year maybe.

9 hours ago, Pickles von Brine said:

I choose 2-3 of the best cables and throw the rest out. Then I wrap themselves up with themselves and they go into a box. No organization. However, there are only about 10-15 cables in there. 

Definitely got 1 of those boxes  (Drona for Ikea Kallax). I don't disagree with Sjaakie on throwing it out, but I have plenty of space, so I rather keep my big wire ball.

I put all my cables in one big drawer. If I can't close it anymore I start throwing cables out.

The cables are all over the place, but always rolled up with velcro.

15 hours ago, Stentorian said:

Hi there everyone, 

I'm not sure if I put this post in the correct place or not, so please move it accordingly. 

I've been meaning to write this post for a while now and keep forgetting to do so. Im struggling to get some sleep at the moment so I thought I'd write it now and get it out of the way. 

It's mainly just a case of curiosity, but also I've been needing a new way of organizing things myself. 

I'm quite the hoarder when it comes to tech. I keep every cable I've ever gotten, even the cheap crappy micro USB cables that come with most generic products on Amazon. I keep them for the "just in-case" moment. Some of them have had their uses. I've had family members who have needed a generic lightning or USB c cable and I've got one to hand to lend to them. But, then there's also ones like the fact that I still own the proprietary headphones that came with the original Sony Ericssons. I don't want to throw anything away, but I want to be able to find a way to keep it better organized. 

Currently, I use a big plastic tub in which I have Ziploc bags for each category of cable. I have them labeled using sticky notes, however it's not useful when you have over 15 Ziploc bags and it's difficult to find a cable when you need one. I have very limited space and would like the most efficient way possible of storing cables without taking up too much space. I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations, but I'm more interested in what everyone else is doing in terms of storing cables, whether that would be professionally or personally. Please let me know what you do to store your cables (pictures would be helpful, but not a necessity). 

Many thanks,

Ben

Generally I keep 1 or 2 of each type. Just in case.

Example : 1x USB-A to Micro USB, 1x USB-A to USB-C, 1x Mini HDMI to HDMI, etc

I keep the cables with good materials (one that doesn't degrade or melt easily for years under some heat).
The rest, I either give them to friends & family that needs 'em, or sell in bulk very cheap.

No point keeping a cheap cable with cheap insulation that sticks to the other cable/the container like it was glued when I open the hoard box in a year or less.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

20 hours ago, Pickles von Brine said:

19 hours ago, Sjaakie said:

I also hoarded quite some tech / cables, but at some point realized would never find a use for 95% of it ever again. When in doubt I just get rid of it. In the one off chance I happen to need that cable again I'll buy a new one. Happens max once a year maybe.

4 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Generally I keep 1 or 2 of each type. Just in case.

Example : 1x USB-A to Micro USB, 1x USB-A to USB-C, 1x Mini HDMI to HDMI, etc

I keep the cables with good materials (one that doesn't degrade or melt easily for years under some heat).
The rest, I either give them to friends & family that needs 'em, or sell in bulk very cheap.

No point keeping a cheap cable with cheap insulation that sticks to the other cable/the container like it was glued when I open the hoard box in a year or less.

Thank you all for your reply. My issue is that I can't just "throw them out". I'm terrible for hoarding and all my possessions are like it. Memories of my childhood in which my parents would throw several black bags of things away, just because I ran out of space in my tiny room, means I don't rely on other people for help organise it in fear they will throw everything away. I guess they also have a monetary value to me (even if it is a few pennies). When I get the time, I'd like to go through and test them as I know some of them straight up don't work (most of the 24-pin old Apple cables I have, for example), but it was more looking for ways to organise everything overall. 

10 hours ago, Neroon said:

Definitely got 1 of those boxes  (Drona for Ikea Kallax). I don't disagree with Sjaakie on throwing it out, but I have plenty of space, so I rather keep my big wire ball.

I just had a look at those. My problem is I'm in a really small room. I've had to move my cupboard to our spare bedroom so that I could fit an Ikea desk in its place for my work from home setup. I think I'll throw away broken cables or ones that wont ever need a use, and keep them organised in the plastic box I have until I move out and get more storage room and move them into one of the Drona boxes from IKEA. 

Thank you all for your help! 🙂 

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Boot: Crucial P2 500GB (M.2)

SSD: Crucial BX500 1TB

HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB

PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750W