The easiest home media server (SPONSORED)

Sveeno
31 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

There's also people who just don't particularly care for Netflix and Disney + and will consume those shows illegally and technically if one is to do the illegal consumption of media people tend to consider having a local copy to be less morally bad then watching it on an illegal streaming site with a bunch of sketchy ads.

I wouldn't say watching pirated content locally is "less morally bad", but it's safer and its acquisition can be automated with the help of other software that I won't discuss here.

2 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Funnily enough I think you are. LTT has over 14 million subscribers. The channel likes to claim everything they do is morally right, but here they have accepted a bag of cash to promote something to their customers which for 99% of them is a bad deal. I fully understand that the people who frequent this forum are the type of people who want and utilise their own server, but this forum is a tiny percentage of LTT's viewers.

You could say that about a large amount of the sponsors on this channel. SuperMicro has sponsored the channel a lot - a $10k+ server from them is hardly going to be a "good deal" to basically anyone in the LTT audience. What about AMD sponsoring Threadripper builds, EK sponsoring water cooling projects or the videos sponsored by Solidworks. For 99.9% of the audience $5k+ of CAD software or a water cooled 64-core CPU would definitely be a bad purchase. Heck, every sponsor spot for Microcentre is completely wasted on probably the majority of LTT's audience, given they only exist in 16 US states - they aren't even international. I wouldn't call any of those adverts immoral though.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

ITT:

Person who is not the target market for a product is confused by advertising for said product, and instead of just shrugging and moving on with their day, makes ignorant assertions which confirm they are not in the target market and amount to arguing that since they don't need the product nobody else does either.

Upon having the use case for the product explained to him by people who actually are in the target market, our hero then decides he knows more about the needs of people he literally didn't know existed a short time ago than they know themselves, and doubles down by saying that not only is the product unnecessary, but that it's actively immoral to advertise a product to them that they want.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

@AbsoluteWooAre you a deity I was unaware of who has some absolute power to tell the masses what is and isn't right for them?

No?  

Are you a Tech Tuber I was unaware of, who has a following of 10+ million and is an authority on how a tech YT channel should be run?

No?

Uhhh, are you otherwise some world-renown authority I should know, and you have a boatload of credentials to back up your objectively shit-tier takes?

No?

Well, then, sit down, shut up, and stop trying to dictate things for people who aren't you.  Is it a bad deal for you?  It objectively might be.  Is it a bad deal for everyone else?  NOPE.  Plex Server is on my list to-buy next time I see it on a sale, and it was even before this video went live.  

So...  Maybe you should stop trying to tell the world how it should work, and worry more about yourself.

50 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

I wouldn't say watching pirated content locally is "less morally bad", but it's safer and its acquisition can be automated with the help of other software that I won't discuss here.

Yeah, that might be a better way of putting it.

I will say Plex is something I'm vaguely aware of and members of my family use because in 2008 they pirated a lot and also were big movie people but not into subscription streaming services so I know at least two households which have multiple TB of movies and TV shows in external hard drives so trying to direct them to a plex server is nice even if really for my household where we have over 10 TB it probably should just be a NAS rather then having the data be mixed between over a handfull of external HDDs.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

If there were to be a follow up to this type of video, I'd like to see:

A) information about HBA cards to expand storage
B) information about GPUs for encoding
C) open source alternatives

If you sign up for Plex Pro Week Linus is running a session on hardware transcoding. It wouldn't surprise me if this were to be turned into a video for YT as well given his first session "Play in the Pro League" sounds just like this video.

Open-source alternatives would be nice to talk about but given it's a sponsored video it's not a surprise that they aren't mentioned. Would be nice for Anthony to do a video on Jellyfish sometime.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

20 hours ago, tim0901 said:

its acquisition can be automated with the help of other software that I won't discuss here.

If there was free software for Linux that would allow for the ripping of blu-ray discs and encoding wasn't an arcane art form or the magicians known as encoders would release their settings instead of their rips, I'd totally just buy every movie I care for.

I do this with audio CDs.

Paying for digital media just seems wrong on some level to me, so I don't have a subscription for music, I don't have one for movies and I will never use Steam or Gog.

I of course prefer digital, but when buying you better have something physical that makes it easy for me to transfer onto my storage solution.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:53 AM, tkitch said:

you mean the entire section of the video that talked about the password breach? 

Honestly, I didn't really watch the video, I just skipped through it because a) I don't like Plex, and b) It is a long advertisement

10 minutes ago, DarkSwordsman said:

Honestly, I didn't really watch the video, I just skipped through it because a) I don't like Plex, and b) It is a long advertisement

It's a sponsored video, of course it's an ad.  
Welcome to the internet. 

18 minutes ago, tkitch said:

It's a sponsored video, of course it's an ad.  
Welcome to the internet. 

Sure, LTT has done a lot of sponsored videos especially where they use the sponsored product. However, a lot of them are at least enjoyable and still often a natural video that they were planning to do anyways. This one was purely an advertisement.

1 hour ago, DarkSwordsman said:

Sure, LTT has done a lot of sponsored videos especially where they use the sponsored product. However, a lot of them are at least enjoyable and still often a natural video that they were planning to do anyways. This one was purely an advertisement.

You didn't really watch the video, and that's your excuse for complaining about things not being addressed when they explicitly were addressed, but you can still tell the video wasn't enjoyable even though you didn't watch it.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

12 hours ago, Middcore said:

You didn't really watch the video, and that's your excuse for complaining about things not being addressed when they explicitly were addressed, but you can still tell the video wasn't enjoyable even though you didn't watch it.

Note: I said, "I didn't really watch the video..."

I watched some of it, mainly the first few minutes. Yes, it was boring.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:35 AM, DarkSwordsman said:

Note: I said, "I didn't really watch the video..."

I watched some of it, mainly the first few minutes. Yes, it was boring.

it's mostly a paid high-level tutorial.

There's never been a tutorial EVER that was "exciting" to watch (at least not when nothing explodes along the way)

• 3 weeks later...

I’m loving my plex build. I just recently built a small win 11 server for local network access outside of my home. Running pi-hole and plex. 

I can’t wait to get some 14TB HDDs in and load up. I currently have a 512 nvme boot drive and a 2.5” 250gb drive in the pc, 48GB ram. Also might consider throwing a p620 gpu for transcoding. Haven’t had any issues yet, I recode and try and keep everything at 264. 

35EA0DDD-C1CE-4567-BF38-19E26F63BA46.jpeg

91E6E28A-E357-4CA3-B8D9-888969473E8C.jpeg

As someone that likes to go back and watch tv series and movies more than once (Elf, for example, is watched probably a dozen times/year around the holidays), some sort of personal server made sense to me. Saves wear and tear on disks, don't have to worry about bringing the DVD to my sister's house so the kids can watch it, etc. I already have things store on my system - movies, music (from my CD hoarding days), photos (paid gigs and personal hobby). When my GF's Blu-Ray player died, I started looking into Plex because, hey it sounded like a decent deal. So far it is. When it goes on annual sale, I'll pull the trigger for a couple of lifetime passes instead of a new player. Add in the fact that I can watch my own stuff while traveling with work and not need to log into a streaming service, it's a go for me.

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 3:49 AM, JFTiger said:

I'm curious if he compresses the files to save space. I've ripped about half my DVD collection and am using about 2tb of space.  I've not started on my Blu-ray disks so I expect the usage to explode once I start that project.

If he does, what method to use and what settings.

I'm looking to do the same what program are you using to Rip the discs?

My PC AMD Ryzen 3600, Vetroo V5, Nvidia 2060, Lian-Li LANCOOL II .