Want to start playing as a job, what games should I start playing?

GamerGuy

Hi, since a young age my goal in life was to do what I love the most and get paid for it which is gaming to me, my whole life I have been gaming for 12~14 hours a day everyday and currently I'm 17. I just built my very first computer and want to start playing competitively (Can wait a few years to be perfect at the game) and I know this is no easy task for me. Yet,  I somehow want to make a living out of my passion. I started to stream and make youtube videos to maybe start something going there, but what games would you guys recommend that would probably be big in a few years that people would enjoy watching (and also have competitive tournaments for that game)?

I am currently an average player in a popular game called League, but I did notice that League is a very popular and oldish game, so being one of the best players while joining the game not long ago is not an easy task and is nearly impossible.

So what do you guys think? Can I somehow make money from gaming in any way from the amount of time and fun I put into my games? Any recommendations to anything? 

Thanks

hi

there is a very small chance that you can do gaming for a living. Sorry but it is the truth, i would suggest that is you really wanted to be a full time gamer then call of duty may be a good chance or another esport game

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

CS:Go has been growing quite a bit recently. Definitely something that you should consider. 

Something else you can do is stream new games right as they come out and jump on the hype train. People always want to watch new content for games right on release day. If you can create a walk-through and have it out in the first few days of release, you will probably get more than a few views.

Just some ideas :lol:

//ccap

If you want to make money via a Youtube or Twitch account (among others), you don't need to be the best, you need to be original and interesting. Each game type has its own "celebrities", Youtubers who are very popular. COD and other FPS have a ton, but it's the same for games like Minecraft, even less popular games like ETS2. The key is to be different, if you try to copy what other people are doing, it will fail.

Try to find new concepts, a new approach to all this. People won't go spend some time to watch you play games if you are either boring or just like all the others. IMO, making something original is the only way you're ever going to be successful doing this, no matter how good or bad you are at the game itself.

CS:Go has been growing quite a bit recently. Definitely something that you should consider. 

Something else you can do is stream new games right as they come out and jump on the hype train. People always want to watch new content for games right on release day. If you can create a walk-through and have it out in the first few days of release, you will probably get more than a few views.

Just some ideas :lol:

If you want to make money via a Youtube or Twitch account (among others), you don't need to be the best, you need to be original and interesting. Each game type has its own "celebrities", Youtubers who are very popular. COD and other FPS have a ton, but it's the same for games like Minecraft, even less popular games like ETS2. The key is to be different, if you try to copy what other people are doing, it will fail.

Try to find new concepts, a new approach to all this. People won't go spend some time to watch you play games if you are either boring or just like all the others. IMO, making something original is the only way you're ever going to be successful doing this, no matter how good or bad you are at the game itself.

Very helpful tips! Thank you very much!

hi

If you are talking like MLG gaming

Just pick a game with a competitive scene that you absolutely love, and get good... but you have to be exceptional to make it big in paid tournaments, or get a sponsor to pay for you

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If it was that easy, then everyone would be doing it.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

If it was that easy, then everyone would be doing it.

I did say I know it wasn't easy lol, but I do think that I also have an advantage of time over others, I think that although my chances aren't high I am willing to take the risk and do what I love to do! :)

hi

Remember that for thousands that try, only a few make it. Others may have a good time in the process but life is finite. I've seen dozens of threads like this one on teamliquid and never heard of those guys again. If you feel like you have some innate talent or ability to get excellent at a game or to entertain people, then maybe take a shot.

If you can get good at a game, it'll be apparent pretty quickly... If you feel average, then don't count on being world class. You might become good, but not good enough to make money - at least almost certainly not.

If you want to be an entertainer on YT or Twitch, then go for it. Develop a persona for yourself, interact with your viewers, don't have an annoying voice and BUY A GOOD MICROPHONE. You have to have an entertaining personality/character, or a good understanding of the game(s) you're looking at.

Most of the "markets" are saturated with players, reviewers, "let's play"-ers. So in order to be known, you need to shine with actual talent otherwise you won't make money. It's like trying to be an artist, really. You shoot for the stars - it won't be easy. You might very well fail and "waste" some years of your life. Grim image, I know, but that's life. Best of luck.

from what i saw, there 2 way to be gamer as job.

first stream and give media about informative, and game play. its about always stream in twitch and always upload media to youtube. this required advertisement so the more interesting your media, the more viewer you got, more money you get. 

second is be competitive. you will play as hardcore gamer. you always training game for tournament e-sport. with this you must always enter tournament and get wall of fame. the more you show your self in game, more sponsor willing to pay you.

first option need more social then skill.

second option need more skill then social.

second option usually have game like dota 2, cs:go, LoL,

first option usually game like heartstone, diablo, minecraft.

this all depend on your hardworking.

PS SORRY FOR MY BROKEN ENGLISH. 

Im SORRY for:-1. My Broken English. 2. "if" posting wrong section. 3. "if" my replay hurt someone. 4. "if" posting already posted before

Because im new to active forum >.< (bow) please kindly guide me thanks

from what i saw, there 2 way to be gamer as job.

first stream and give media about informative, and game play. its about always stream in twitch and always upload media to youtube. this required advertisement so the more interesting your media, the more viewer you got, more money you get. 

second is be competitive. you will play as hardcore gamer. you always training game for tournament e-sport. with this you must always enter tournament and get wall of fame. the more you show your self in game, more sponsor willing to pay you.

first option need more social then skill.

second option need more skill then social.

second option usually have game like dota 2, cs:go, LoL,

first option usually game like heartstone, diablo, minecraft.

this all depend on your hardworking.

PS SORRY FOR MY BROKEN ENGLISH. 

Thanks, this helps a lot! :)Your English isn't bad at all!

I've seen dozens of threads like this one on teamliquid and never heard of those guys again. 

We shall meet again... soon my friend.  ;)

hi

We shall meet again... soon my friend.  ;)

I'll be expecting that "told you so" PM! Cheers

Dont try to make a living out of playing comp even if you succeed as soon as you hit 30 you are done your reactions cant keep up.

What you want to do is be a personality and comedian while playing games. Check out some major youtubers and work out what you wanna do/if its gonna suit you. As much as people hate on it creating a character you play while on video streaming is fine if its what gets you successful, bear in mind though that keeping a character is hard and is not for everyone. 

Also try and play games you either hate or love. If you love a game you are more likely to be interesting while playing it. While some people love to watch people rant and get pissed off at a game.

If you are not an amazing comedian or whatever but still manage to get a fanbase its a matter of getting people interested in keeping watching you. Talking about your life etc gets people invested in whats happening to you and as such they may continue to watch your videos even if they arent amazing.

But even with all the knowledge in the world its still incredibly hard to get started in this industry and isnt just about playing games. Youve got to be able to edit and present content in a way that pleases your subscribers.

Dont try to make a living out of playing comp even if you succeed as soon as you hit 30 you are done your reactions cant keep up.

What you want to do is be a personality and comedian while playing games. Check out some major youtubers and work out what you wanna do/if its gonna suit you. As much as people hate on it creating a character you play while on video streaming is fine if its what gets you successful, bear in mind though that keeping a character is hard and is not for everyone. 

Also try and play games you either hate or love. If you love a game you are more likely to be interesting while playing it. While some people love to watch people rant and get pissed off at a game.

If you are not an amazing comedian or whatever but still manage to get a fanbase its a matter of getting people interested in keeping watching you. Talking about your life etc gets people invested in whats happening to you and as such they may continue to watch your videos even if they arent amazing.

But even with all the knowledge in the world its still incredibly hard to get started in this industry and isnt just about playing games. Youve got to be able to edit and present content in a way that pleases your subscribers.

Thanks, I would call myself a good comedian but the only thing I gotta work on is my editing skills really, got an idea of a program I can use to edit for youtube? Sony vegas or AA?

hi

easy to say, but very...very.. hard to do. there are so many very popular gamers on YT with all kinds of styles that its kind off hard to be different from all of them. at least that was my experiencewhen i tried to grow my yt channel.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Thanks, I would call myself a good comedian but the only thing I gotta work on is my editing skills really, got an idea of a program I can use to edit for youtube? Sony vegas or AA?

I use Sony Vegas myself. Ive tried others but Vegas just seems to work well for me. All of them have free trials so just grab them and see which one you like.

Get some fresh air kiddo.

The real world is gonna smack you in the chops pretty soon.

Get some fresh air kiddo.

The real world is gonna smack you in the chops pretty soon.

"kiddo" well that wasn't nice,

hi

"kiddo" well that wasn't nice,

Seriously, spending that much time gaming and dreaming of somehow turning that into a living is going to bite you in the ass when it's time to face the real world.

Unless you have parents who are paying your bills and willing to keep doing that while try and do it, things will get messy.

Even the big Youtuber's has jobs on the side to pay the rent, put clothes on their back and food on the table.

Linus was lucky in that he had NCIX as a backup, along with a wife with stable income.  I'm pretty sure his family is also pretty stable in that regard also.

your options are Tournament games with a team or Testing games with a studio.

iv done Tournaments... its not consistant enough to be considered a sustainable income, Testing is very competitive given the volume of people applying

Character artist in the Games industry.

your options are Tournament games with a team or Testing games with a studio.

iv done Tournaments... its not consistant enough to be considered a sustainable income, Testing is very competitive given the volume of people applying

What exactly do you mean by 'testing'?

hi

What exactly do you mean by 'testing'?

look up Quality Assurance positions in game studios.

You test the game in their Alpha/Beta stage and Test future content in house.

Character artist in the Games industry.

I'm really sorry to sound like dreamcrusher here but I've been in comp scene and know how it works. First, you are almost too old to be able to make it in comp scene. Most who are now at pro level have started few years younger than you. And in games that had their first versions out back then (WC3, BW, Dota, CS1.6, Quake). For being able to make it in comp, you need game that you are actually somewhat good at now. Then just start training tactics, reflecs, map knowledge, skill and playing in tournaments. Or if its teambased, then find team, maybe with your buddies and start playing praccs and tournaments/ladder games. You can't get better any other way. Even that isn't quarantee to make you a pro. If you are good, you'll be at med-high or high which is just bit under pro level.

I know only one player that have made it over 30 as pro gamer, White-Ra. Others have shifted to casting and I know that they have college/university degrees as backup plan. Don't waste education if you are only mid level player. If you at some point achieve level where you are at top tier, then you can evaluate your gaming career and education at same level.

Second, if you need to ask "What can I do to <insert here>" means that you really don't have enough own ideas. Or you don't believe in them. That will make getting audience and keeping it hard if you are going for streamers option. Imo that is also something I wouldn't put aheed of education. You can study and do videos at same time. Better yet if you get into area where your personal experince of producing content helps in your studies and visa versa.

If you go for casters career option, you need to have comp experience of game you'll be casting. Otherwise you'll get trashed since you don't know tactics or terms. Its pretty much same as in sports. The top tier casters do broadcasting and TV work also so they really don't only get paid by doing game casting. Ofc there are few exceptions (or what I know).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Start out small, make a Youtube channel, maybe live stream some stuff, do giveaways to attract more followers. Then start out in small teams and just rise up. There's a lot of people who do this.

idk. good luck m8.

You need to be extremely good but there are places. Starcraft, CS (maybe go, it might be an up and coming) LoL, Dota 2, i think COD 4 Pro mod still is in esports, haven't watched a match in probs 2 years now. Things like BF and later cods will just fizz up and die in a year or so IMO. You need something that will go on for a long time.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones