Beginner questions on converting my old PC to a server

Hello, after watching LTT's stream today where Linus told to hop into the forum to ask questions about servers, I decided to give it a try.

About me: I'm a Windows user, and I do have some technical knowledge. I don't know enough about Linux, but I did use Ubuntu (which is probably irrelevant).

I have a few questions regarding my plan to make a DIY Server PC. I'm going to upgrade my PC and I'm gonna repurpose my current one as a server.

Server's "would-be" Specs:

-  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

-  8GB DDR4 RAM

-  3TB HDD Storage

-  Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (No external GPU)

My plan for the server's use cases are:

-  hosting a data website I have (currently hosted on my current PC, built on laravel, have own custom domain)

-  set up Jellyfin and Navidrome/Koel to stream media/music

-  use some other self-hosted apps like NextCloud and password manager

Here are some questions I'm meaning to ask:

• How do I actually run the server without user intervention, or with any other peripherals not connected?
  • Do I need a separate SSD to run the server? I heard USB flash sticks are enough! Is it reliable information?
  • What are some OS options than I can use? (TrueNAS core, etc)
  • Is TrueNAS like an OS? I don't need any NAS like storage with raid/parity, other than maybe a SMB network location share. Aka, backup not important as it's mostly for media files and everything on the website is already on GitHub.
  • Does Docker goes inside TrueNAS?
  • How can I update my Laravel files from GitHub automatically?

I've watched some YouTube channels like NetworkChuck and Raid Owl, but I'm still not sure how I should proceed.
Any links to channels, videos, documentations will be helpful. As this is a passion project I don't want to spend much on any other hardware/subscriptions other than those I already have.

Also any other tips, suggestions or experiences are welcome.

I might have more questions, but for now this is all.

Thank you!

33 minutes ago, qstar_inc said:

• How do I actually run the server without user intervention, or with any other peripherals not connected?

Via a web server, ssh, or vnc.

• Do I need a separate SSD to run the server? I heard USB flash sticks are enough! Is it reliable information?

It depends, an os like unraid runs completely in memory and is loaded off of a usb flash drive. You could also just partition a drive.

34 minutes ago, qstar_inc said:
  •  

unraid, freenas, truenas, any flavor of linux built for stability.

35 minutes ago, qstar_inc said:
  • Is TrueNAS like an OS? I don't need any NAS like storage with raid/parity, other than maybe a SMB network location share. Aka, backup not important as it's mostly for media files and everything on the website is already on GitHub.

yes, and if you are using the server for media files you would want some type of storage on the server. but most of the OS options will let you configure the raid configuration yourself.

37 minutes ago, qstar_inc said:

docker is just a piece of software you would install.

38 minutes ago, qstar_inc said:

You want to look into CI/CD solutions. If you containerize your site, you can do this.

https://docs.docker.com/language/golang/configure-ci-cd/

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:37 AM, qstar_inc said:

Hello, after watching LTT's stream today where Linus told to hop into the forum to ask questions about servers, I decided to give it a try.

About me: I'm a Windows user, and I do have some technical knowledge. I don't know enough about Linux, but I did use Ubuntu (which is probably irrelevant).

I have a few questions regarding my plan to make a DIY Server PC. I'm going to upgrade my PC and I'm gonna repurpose my current one as a server.

Server's "would-be" Specs:

-  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

-  8GB DDR4 RAM

-  3TB HDD Storage

-  Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (No external GPU)

My plan for the server's use cases are:

-  hosting a data website I have (currently hosted on my current PC, built on laravel, have own custom domain)

-  set up Jellyfin and Navidrome/Koel to stream media/music

-  use some other self-hosted apps like NextCloud and password manager

Here are some questions I'm meaning to ask:

I've watched some YouTube channels like NetworkChuck and Raid Owl, but I'm still not sure how I should proceed.
Any links to channels, videos, documentations will be helpful. As this is a passion project I don't want to spend much on any other hardware/subscriptions other than those I already have.

Also any other tips, suggestions or experiences are welcome.

I might have more questions, but for now this is all.

Thank you!

Maybe just use Ubuntu server? It will have the most information since it’s Ubuntu… Truenas would be a bad choice for this since that is first and foremost a storage appliance. Unraid would potentially be a better option, but again, that is tailored to a use case you don’t seem to need?

You will want an SSD regardless of what you do. If you use unraid, you boot from a USB stick, but would need a SSD to instal docker containers and VM’s on, if you use any other OS, you would instal the OS to the SSD just like windows would be and then instal all your applications on the bolt drive like normal windows. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:17 PM, Takumidesh said:

Via a web server, ssh, or vnc.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help much, of course VNC, but as far as I know those are run after the OS; how can I access bios, etc; if that's even possible. What are some recommended SSH/VNC to try out?

It depends, an os like unraid runs completely in memory and is loaded off of a usb flash drive. You could also just partition a drive.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:35 PM, LIGISTX said:

You will want an SSD regardless of what you do. If you use unraid, you boot from a USB stick, but would need a SSD to instal docker containers and VM’s on, if you use any other OS, you would instal the OS to the SSD just like windows would be and then instal all your applications on the bolt drive like normal windows. 

I'll have a small SSD anyway, just in case.

yes, and if you are using the server for media files you would want some type of storage on the server. but most of the OS options will let you configure the raid configuration yourself.

I'll have SATA HDD but I don't really need backup, mirror, or parity anyway. Just a raw storage dump.

You want to look into CI/CD solutions. If you containerize your site, you can do this.

https://docs.docker.com/language/golang/configure-ci-cd/

That looks like exactly what I need.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:35 PM, LIGISTX said:

Maybe just use Ubuntu server? It will have the most information since it’s Ubuntu… Truenas would be a bad choice for this since that is first and foremost a storage appliance. Unraid would potentially be a better option, but again, that is tailored to a use case you don’t seem to need?

What about Arch Linux, I haven't check it out, apparently it's popular; but its CLI not GUI, so probably more hassle for a beginner? Ubuntu is obviously the easy to go option, as I've used Ubuntu Desktop. But should I use Ubuntu's Server version, or the normal Desktop version?

Thanks again; I have been looking into some other distros but haven't tried anything yet myself. Feel free to give any recommendations on OS/packages I should try.

6 minutes ago, qstar_inc said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't help much, of course VNC, but as far as I know those are run after the OS; how can I access bios, etc; if that's even possible. What are some recommended SSH/VNC to try out?

Without a dedicated out of band port, you don't access them without being plugged in locally to a monitor/mouse/etc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Why do you need to access the BIOS on a server? Once it’s set up…. It’s set up. You shouldn't need this. SSH or VNC is all you should need once it’s set up. 

34 minutes ago, qstar_inc said:

What about Arch Linux, I haven't check it out, apparently it's popular; but its CLI not GUI, so probably more hassle for a beginner? Ubuntu is obviously the easy to go option, as I've used Ubuntu Desktop. But should I use Ubuntu's Server version, or the normal Desktop version?

Don’t use arch. It’s not user friendly, basically if your unsure about CLI vs GUI, arch is exactly what you don’t want to do. Just use Ubuntu… and SSH in to manage it. You can use the GUI as a way to start learning, but once you know more, just SSH in to do everything (CLI is the real way to manage a linux machine to be honest… it makes it easier, which may be counterintuitive). 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

21 hours ago, qstar_inc said:

I would not use arch for a server, it is rolling release and often breaks due to upstream changes. something like debian or ubunutu server. freeBSD also but its not linux.

21 hours ago, qstar_inc said:

I'll have SATA HDD but I don't really need backup, mirror, or parity anyway. Just a raw storage dump.

That is fine, but fyi, with no parity of any kind, you WILL lose your data at some point. it is not an if, it is a when.

I cannot stress this enough. with no type of backup or parity or anything YOU WILL LOSE DATA. it might not happen right away, it might take ten years but it will happen.

sometimes a harddrive will warn you when it is failing. but sometimes the drive will just stop working and unless you are ready to spend a lot of money, then that harddrive and anything on it has become a paperweight.

To add to this, it is trivial to implement some type of parity. especially if you use an os built around it (like unraid) one extra drive can literally save you so much headache.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

On 9/22/2022 at 8:55 PM, Takumidesh said:

I would not use arch for a server, it is rolling release and often breaks due to upstream changes. something like debian or ubunutu server. freeBSD also but its not linux.

That is fine, but fyi, with no parity of any kind, you WILL lose your data at some point. it is not an if, it is a when.

I cannot stress this enough. with no type of backup or parity or anything YOU WILL LOSE DATA. it might not happen right away, it might take ten years but it will happen.

sometimes a harddrive will warn you when it is failing. but sometimes the drive will just stop working and unless you are ready to spend a lot of money, then that harddrive and anything on it has become a paperweight.

To add to this, it is trivial to implement some type of parity. especially if you use an os built around it (like unraid) one extra drive can literally save you so much headache.

Thank you, I'll do some more research and think about it when I'll get chance.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:29 AM, qstar_inc said:

Thank you, I'll do some more research and think about it when I'll get chance.

If you really want something that is user friendly and easy to set up, I would consider looking into unraid, it is not free, but it is not that expensive, basic is $60 (one time purchase). You can also try it for free.

It brings a nice webUI that you can access from other computers on the network, and makes things like docker, VMs, drive management, VPNs, SMB, NFS, and lots of other stuff very easy and user friendly to use.

One other thing. You mentioned self hosting a password manager. I would personally advise against this. Unless you plan on replicating the password manager in a hosted environment, you are setting yourself up for trouble down the line. Self hosting a password manager means you need to now open up that container to the internet to allow your remote devices to connect (phones, etc) This means you need to be very careful with how you interact with your server, and the security you have around your network. Leaving your password manager vulnerable in turn leaves everything vulnerable. This is especially important if you are exposing other services (jellyfin, nextcloud, etc). You now need to administer your server seriously since it contains endpoints for PII and login credentials, meaning keeping up with those other services for things like vulnerabilities, updates, etc. It also means you need to maintain uptime on your server lest you get locked out trying to log in to your bank while away from home.

In my opinion self hosting a password manager offers little to no benefit over free open source alternatives (bitwarden).