Only wakes from sleep if I push power button

wolfmcbeard
Go to solution Solved by Stormseeker9,
18 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

So I've loved my new build, it works great and is easily the most computer I've probably ever used, but there's one weird issue...
It will not wake when I interact with my keyboard or mouse.
My past experiences say this should work, and the rgb on my kb&m turns on when I interact with either of them, but the pc refuses to wake from sleep mode.
Is this a Windows setting that's just been on by default in my past pc's or is this some weird quirk with built pc's?
System works perfectly otherwise.

(Probably relevant specs)
Win10 Pro (Not yet activated)
R5 5600X
MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk 
Crucial P2 nvme ssd for os
Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L RGB
Steelserise Rival 3

I had the same for a long time.

what I changed is the options wake by usb in the bios (could have a different name in your bios) and switch it on. 

that way I can wake with my mouse - still can’t with keyboard because wireless (mouse too, but works now).

So I've loved my new build, it works great and is easily the most computer I've probably ever used, but there's one weird issue...
My past experiences say this should work, and the rgb on my kb&m turns on when I interact with either of them, but the pc refuses to wake from sleep mode.
Is this a Windows setting that's just been on by default in my past pc's or is this some weird quirk with built pc's?

R5 5600X
MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk 
Steelserise Rival 3

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

17 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

R5 5600X
MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk 
Steelserise Rival 3

What memory speed are you using? This can some times be a issue when memory isn't fully stable. Also what bios version? And lastly if you got any overclock enabled, try disabling that. And as stated earlier, you can also try with DOCP disabled in BIOS, to check if that is causing the issue.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

18 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

R5 5600X
MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk 
Steelserise Rival 3

what I changed is the options wake by usb in the bios (could have a different name in your bios) and switch it on. 

that way I can wake with my mouse - still can’t with keyboard because wireless (mouse too, but works now).

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

What memory speed are you using? This can some times be a issue when memory isn't fully stable. Also what bios version? And lastly if you got any overclock enabled, try disabling that. And as stated earlier, you can also try with DOCP disabled to check if that is causing the issue.

What does ram speed have to do with waking with usb device?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

22 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

This was one of a few issues I had with my 5900X build and it turned out to be RAM that wasn't QVL recommended for the board. Replaced it with a RAM kit from the board's QVL (had to manually set timings because DOCP was being stupid) and voila, it runs perfectly. So you might want to check your board manufacturer's RAM QVL for your particular CPU (if applicable) and see if this might be a factor. If it's not on the list, that doesn't mean it won't work, but it may not work particularly well. Mine was quite unstable.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

8 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What memory speed are you using? This can some times be a issue when memory isn't fully stable. Also what bios version? And lastly if you got any overclock enabled, try disabling that. And as stated earlier, you can also try with DOCP disabled in BIOS, to check if that is causing the issue.

All the speeds and oc stuff is in the factories default mode, so no cpu oc, not using xmp (the ram is running at 2133 but is rated for 3200) and I'm not sure what docp is, but that likely off as well.
The bios is on the latest stable version which for this board would be 7c91vaa.

7 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I'll take a look at that next time I shut down then.

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

This was one of a few issues I had with my 5900X build and it turned out to be RAM that wasn't QVL recommended for the board. Replaced it with a RAM kit from the board's QVL (had to manually set timings because DOCP was being stupid) and voila, it runs perfectly. So you might want to check your board manufacturer's RAM QVL for your particular CPU (if applicable) and see if this might be a factor. If it's not on the list, that doesn't mean it won't work, but it may not work particularly well. Mine was quite unstable.

I know this ram wasn't on the qvl (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL), but I haven't had any stability issues outside of this, which as stated by Stormseeker, could be that I missed an option in the bios.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

1 minute ago, wolfmcbeard said:

All the speeds and oc stuff is in the factories default mode, so no cpu oc, not using xmp (the ram is running at 2133 but is rated for 3200) and I'm not sure what docp is, but that likely off as well.
The bios is on the latest stable version which for this board would be 7c91vaa.

I'll take a look at that next time I shut down then.

I know this ram wasn't on the qvl (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL), but I haven't had any stability issues outside of this, which as stated by Stormseeker, could be that I missed an option in the bios.

DOCP is AMDs XMP, but fair enough, then it should work. Maybe try to just clear CMOS. You can try removing CMOS battery with PSU off for 5 min and then put it back and turn on. If that isn't working maybe try reflashing the BIOS.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

43 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I didn't think my RAM was the issue either, and even when I theorized it, many people told me it wasn't. Hence it took me 5 months to resolve. But when it causes issues in another machine it isn't QVL'd for either, and replacing it makes the issues go away, it sort of lays the truth at your feet. 

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

13 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I didn't think my RAM was the issue either, and even when I theorized it, many people told me it wasn't. Hence it took me 5 months to resolve. But when it causes issues in another machine it isn't QVL'd for either, and replacing it makes the issues go away, it sort of lays the truth at your feet. 

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it till I already bought the kit and was worried it wouldn't even post, and given how expensive ddr4 is, I'm glad it's worked fine otherwise.
I'd still rather just stick with it if not waking up from sleep is my only real issue, since my 1050 is in dire need of retirement and that's going to be a much bigger pinch on the wallet.

1 hour ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it till I already bought the kit and was worried it wouldn't even post, and given how expensive ddr4 is, I'm glad it's worked fine otherwise.
I'd still rather just stick with it if not waking up from sleep is my only real issue, since my 1050 is in dire need of retirement and that's going to be a much bigger pinch on the wallet.

This issue has zero to do with ram..

go into bios and there is somewhere a function called ‘wake from sleep from usb device’ or something along those lines. Switch on and problem solved.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:43 AM, Stormseeker9 said:

Only just getting back here, but yeah, it was just me missing this in bios, I thought it was weird though that the keyboard and mouse's rgb would turn on, but not wake the system, but that's kinda moot now.
Did also enable an xmp profile so the ram runs at it's rated speed of 3200mhz.