You WON’T BELIEVE my cable management (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

Thanks to Anker for sponsoring this video! Learn more about Anker GaNPrime™️: https://ankerfast.club/GaNPrimeLTT

Order on Amazon:

US: https://ankerfast.club/LinusTechGaNPrime

UK: https://ankerfast.club/LinusTechGaNPrimeUK

DE: https://ankerfast.club/LinusTechGaNPrimeDE

We’ve been so busy cramming tech into every corner of the smart house that we never stopped to consider how much of a mess all the cables and chargers would make - so Anker stepped up to sponsor this video where we tackle cable management once and for all!

What is that possible contraption in 2:20 that linus makes reference for the water guns not to be at 100% of the charge all the time? I understand that the swith only makes the on/off part of the circuit but im more insterested in the logical part that checks the battery percentage of the guns

Little tip for anyone trying to mount power bars or anything with those hook on the back: grab a bit of masking tape, tape it to the back of whatever you want to mount, grab a maker pen put a dot on the holes, take the tape off and stick it where you want to mount the item, drill the screws inline with the marks and tear the tape off.

does anybody know where or how it is called the black plate that do suction on the night table ?

35 minutes ago, MilkSomelier said:

What is that possible contraption in 2:20 that linus makes reference for the water guns not to be at 100% of the charge all the time? I understand that the swith only makes the on/off part of the circuit but im more insterested in the logical part that checks the battery percentage of the guns

I'm guessing its just a smart outlet thats told by home assistant to turn off after X amount of hours. Since even if the battery drops by a few percent. It'd be better to have it that way compared to it being constantly brought back too full.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

d) have active wall sockets with mains voltage supply at less than 30cm away from a bed, sofa or similar highly flammable item.

I definitely would love to see a video either from LTT or from some other channel talking/dealing with electrical safety but I will say for d) I think this is extremely common like for my bed room the only outlet where the lamp I use for reading books would fit is the one where my bed is.

Does anyone have a link for the Cable Management Magnetic Arch Linus used at 12:47?

37 minutes ago, TechInquire said:

Does anyone have a link for the Cable Management Magnetic Arch Linus used at 12:47?

No, since those are the magnets as part of the whole cable management stuff that Linus has paid for Creator Warehouse to have LTT Store do as talked about a bit in 3:54 and he also mentioned it in this earlier video at the 9 minutes in that the video is shared to.

I am so excited for those magnetic cable management holders! I haven't bought from LTT store yet (getting a water bottle and lanyard soon), but I am buying a bunch of those as soon as they drop! As long as they aren't as expensive as screwdriver 

I'm pretty excited for the cable management products. My main question: will there be a way to magnetically attach a whole UPS to a desk? That would be a game changer for me. 

16 hours ago, Caroline said:

There might be other things I've missed but boy what a painful video to watch, either this house violates several major rules of electric work or the regulations in canada are practically non-existent and this is seen as OK. I'd give that house a straight 0/10 safety score in a condition report.

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but North America's 120v service isn't that dangerous. It's not going to leap out of the wall and bite you while you're sleeping. Besides, none of the loads shown are going to overburden a 15 amp plug to the point where it gets hot, and as far as I know it's code to require arc-fault circuit breakers on bedroom circuits now anyway.

Yes we have 240v circuits, but unlike the rest of the world it's not one 240v hot paired with a neutral. It's two 120v hots running 180 degrees out of phase with each other.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Anyone know where to get those metal enclosures for batteries at 6:34? Looking to get something similar for my e-Bike's battery storage in the winter months.

I'm not sure why he struggles will lining up screw holes on a power bar. Surely he has painters tape that he can run across the back of the bar, punch the holes in the tape with the screw, remove the tape from the back of the power bar, put the tape on the surface where he wants to mount it and screw in the screws where the holes are in the tape. The struggles are not needed.

Any idea what the timeframe is on releasing the magnetic cable management products?  I'm rewiring my home internet "hub" and these would be perfect for the galvanized steel Wall Control panels I have on order for the mounting surface.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

1 hour ago, LapsedMemory said:

Any idea what the timeframe is on releasing the magnetic cable management products?  I'm rewiring my home internet "hub" and these would be perfect for the galvanized steel Wall Control panels I have on order for the mounting surface.

They didn't give a timeline so I don't think holding one's breath is wise.

• 2 weeks later...

All these Anker products look pretty juicy, especially the last one (Anker 733 Power Bank). I was wondering a while ago if a product like this exists and it turns out it does. However it seems that this particular model has no European counterpart (or any from the GaNPrime lineup for that matter). Do you know any alternatives I could buy right now, or should I buy the 733 and an adapter (is there even any sense in buying a 2-in-1 if I need an additional transformer box anyway) or perhaps wait for Anker to possibly extend this lineup to European market?

I thought about this upon release of the video, which I understand is basically just an ad. However, the recent commentary by Linus during the WAN show regarding the recent CPSC advisory pushed me to comment here. LTT should never have accepted the AC power strip products included among the various chargers, including the prominently featured Anker 615, the PowerPort Cube, or possibly even the 12 outlet power strip. Anker consistently pushes AC power strip products which either are listed under no Underwriters Laboratory standards, are listed under inappropriate/incomplete standards, and lack the appropriate labeling required for such standards.

The Anker PowerPort cube featured for the bedside tables (looked like model A2763, though it was not explicitly stated in the video) has a very thin gauge lamp cord used for the extension cord: though it looks like a more rugged extension cord, the cord is actually only 18 gauge. That's what you'd expect in what was commonly termed lamp cord, though even the lamp cord equivalent at big box stores these days uses heavier 16 gauge wire. This would also be the reason they limit the rating for the product to 10A. Why is this a problem? Well in part the issue would be that a product like this, with such a thin gauge cord would not be allowed. However, Anker lists the PowerPort Cube inappropriately under UL standard 817 (extension cord).

UL 817 would normally be restricted to cords with a molded in connector (like an orange garage cable, or the typical white/brown lamp extension cord you might use behind a sofa with 3 outlets at the end). For reference, the CPSC has made a great site on what should be qualified under UL 817. UL 817 is important for Anker in that it (unlike UL 1363) has an allowance for thinner wire gauges if a device incorporates overcurrent protection (which Anker does). The overcurrent protection exception was intended for products like Christmas light cords with integral fuses and not what outwardly look like heavy duty power strips. Note that the Anker 615 has similar problems with inappropriate/missing UL listings. You can find the UL listing information for the Anker 615 here.

Now contrast all of this with a comparable product from Tripp Lite with the appropriate UL listings (UL 1363 for relocatable taps and UL1449 as the Tripp Lite product also lists surge protection) and note in particular the difference in labeling. In the case of the Tripp Lite you will find, as will all reputable devices with appropriate listings, UL listing marks (in this case integrated into the injection molding - see attached image or reference the site linked above). Proper labeling is typically seen as those holographic metal foil labels or an integral part of the injection molding in the body of the device to indicate a listing certificate number and/or the appropriate standards. You can review the guidelines here. The Anker product reviews for the PowerPort Cube and 615 manage to document what Anker does not: that this labeling is typically missing on their devices.

Linus made a solid observation in his discussion of the CPSC issue in that brick and mortar retailers are typically more responsible/conservative in this respect. Big box retailers like Home Depot, Target, and even chain dollar stores typically set a minimum bar of selling AC power taps, extension cords, and power strips which are appropriately UL listed. Unfortunately, LTT did not set the same bar here for themselves when it came to promoting such products.

Good luck!
Jon

613XetYhkmL[1].jpg

71yDzsLrteL[1].jpg

816BfG8uXPL._SL1600_[1].jpg

2 hours ago, The_Love_Spud said:

I thought about this upon release of the video, which I understand is basically just an ad. However, the recent commentary by Linus during the WAN show regarding the recent CPSC advisory pushed me to comment here. LTT should never have accepted the AC power strip products included among the various chargers, including the prominently featured Anker 615, the PowerPort Cube, or possibly even the 12 outlet power strip. Anker consistently pushes AC power strip products which either are listed under no Underwriters Laboratory standards, are listed under inappropriate/incomplete standards, and lack the appropriate labeling required for such standards.

The Anker PowerPort cube featured for the bedside tables (looked like model A2763, though it was not explicitly stated in the video) has a very thin gauge lamp cord used for the extension cord: though it looks like a more rugged extension cord, the cord is actually only 18 gauge. That's what you'd expect in what was commonly termed lamp cord, though even the lamp cord equivalent at big box stores these days uses heavier 16 gauge wire. This would also be the reason they limit the rating for the product to 10A. Why is this a problem? Well in part the issue would be that a product like this, with such a thin gauge cord would not be allowed. However, Anker lists the PowerPort Cube inappropriately under UL standard 817 (extension cord).

UL 817 would normally be restricted to cords with a molded in connector (like an orange garage cable, or the typical white/brown lamp extension cord you might use behind a sofa with 3 outlets at the end). For reference, the CPSC has made a great site on what should be qualified under UL 817. UL 817 is important for Anker in that it (unlike UL 1363) has an allowance for thinner wire gauges if a device incorporates overcurrent protection (which Anker does). The overcurrent protection exception was intended for products like Christmas light cords with integral fuses and not what outwardly look like heavy duty power strips. Note that the Anker 615 has similar problems with inappropriate/missing UL listings. You can find the UL listing information for the Anker 615 here.

Now contrast all of this with a comparable product from Tripp Lite with the appropriate UL listings (UL 1363 for relocatable taps and UL1449 as the Tripp Lite product also lists surge protection) and note in particular the difference in labeling. In the case of the Tripp Lite you will find, as will all reputable devices with appropriate listings, UL listing marks (in this case integrated into the injection molding - see attached image or reference the site linked above). Proper labeling is typically seen as those holographic metal foil labels or an integral part of the injection molding in the body of the device to indicate a listing certificate number and/or the appropriate standards. You can review the guidelines here. The Anker product reviews for the PowerPort Cube and 615 manage to document what Anker does not: that this labeling is typically missing on their devices.

Linus made a solid observation in his discussion of the CPSC issue in that brick and mortar retailers are typically more responsible/conservative in this respect. Big box retailers like Home Depot, Target, and even chain dollar stores typically set a minimum bar of selling AC power taps, extension cords, and power strips which are appropriately UL listed. Unfortunately, LTT did not set the same bar here for themselves when it came to promoting such products.

Good luck!
Jon

613XetYhkmL[1].jpg

71yDzsLrteL[1].jpg

816BfG8uXPL._SL1600_[1].jpg

I think this maybe should be put in LMG Sponsor Complaints

On 9/23/2022 at 7:51 PM, Ultraforce said:

I think this maybe should be put in LMG Sponsor Complaints

Thanks for the tip with link. I'll think I'll just link to my original post so I don't look like I'm cross-posting.

Good luck!
Jon

• 1 year later...

can we get a gantt chart on when those magnetic power brick things are coming out not joking been waiting TOO long for this I WANT A DEADLINE.