Wait for 4070?

Currently in my system I have a gtx 1060, and I have wanted to upgrade for a bit now, I just dont know if its value to buy a used 3070 or wait for the 4070 release. Thoughts on this would be appreciated!

It depends on the rest of your system. If the CPU is going to struggle to keep up with a 4070, it's irrelevant. Personally, I never buy a new release just to have the latest and greatest. Most people I know that did got very familiar with RMA processes and were on a first-name basis with their tech support people at some point.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

A few rumors stated October launch, personally I'd wait. This is assuming your CPU could keep up with the 4070, although you'd also have to purchase high capacity PSUs along with GPU. Might wait a couple more months from release tho, history suggested new releases rarely stable in terms of drivers and hardware side, with the wait you might learn a thing or two.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

it's a balance between 3070 and 4070 pricing and performance, and the 3070 potentially being out of stock by then.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:09 AM, An0maly_76 said:

It depends on the rest of your system. If the CPU is going to struggle to keep up with a 4070, it's irrelevant. Personally, I never buy a new release just to have the latest and greatest. Most people I know that did got very familiar with RMA processes and were on a first-name basis with their tech support people at some point.

I have a 5600x, I havent updated my bio for the forum, so I think I should be fine in that regard for now. Im thinking if I find a 3070 for 550 Cad it might be value to get over a 4070 regardless. Unless the 4070 is suppose to have unforseen levels of performance.

2 hours ago, Yoyohoneywasp said:

I have a 5600x, I havent updated my bio for the forum, so I think I should be fine in that regard for now. Im thinking if I find a 3070 for 550 Cad it might be value to get over a 4070 regardless. Unless the 4070 is suppose to have unforseen levels of performance.

5600X should have no problem with a 3070, 3080, or even 3090 as long as you have enough power supply wattage. I don't really see RTX40x0 being necessary or worth it for at least another 3 to 5 years.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

At this point it would be reasonable to see what prices will be. And if there will be proper stock. If the RTX40 and RX7 get trapped behind the scalper wall again, wont matter if you wait or not. 

As Etherium switch is reportedly 14 days away (Sept.15th), we could see influx of mining cards. And further drop in prices as retailers wish to eliminate stock to make way for new gen. 

In conclusion, with the things are in the supply chain right now, we may see some new "supply limit" excuse quite soon. After all, we got: scalpers, mining boom, chip shortage, Ukraine War. Wont be surprised if China Bubble is the next hottest excuse.