How to tell If my graphic card heating is aluminum ?

Dogost
Go to solution Solved by Andrea87,

The card looks like an OEM that is bought and branded by Dell, HP and many others.

Have a look here, pics look identical to yours.

The heatsink looks to have a nickel plated copper base. However, on a GPU, I would absolutely avoid liquid metal. Too much hassle to comformal coat everything and avoid short circuits. Just repaste, buy some proper thermal compound and see how it goes. The difference will be minimal (at best 2-4°C compared to metal) but you won't risk damaging the card.

I bought this HP oem RTX 3060 Ti a few weeks ago and it seems that the cooler that came with it is not good and prone to overheating. So I'am planning  to re-paste it with liquid metal but I don't know if the heatsink is made of aluminum or nickel.  Please help 

Note : I have tried thermal grizzly kryonaut,  replace thermal pads but the gpu is still overheated 

2.jpg

1.jpeg

Most are aluminum. Aluminum has very good dissipative properties, nickel plating is usually on fittings rather than heatsinks. If you want, you can scratch it and see if it changes color, flame test wouldn't be helpful  both are white. If you are really determined you could get a dropper of nickel test solution.

Aluminum is common so theres a good chance thats what it is.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

49 minutes ago, Dogost said:

So I'am planning  to re-paste it with liquid metal but I don't know if the heatsink is made of aluminum or nickel.

First off, just don't. GPUs don't benefit a ton from liquid metal, even on the mediocre coolers, and it's very easy to kill the card if you don't conformal coat the board absolutely perfectly. It's just not worth the risk for maybe 5C performance improvements. You're better off trying to get something like a RAIJINTEK Morpheus, a dead 3060 Ti to salvage the cooler from (Zotac cards IIRC should use the exact same PCB as that card), or zip tying an AIO to it and just upgrading the cooler of that card like that rather than try and liquid metal the card. 

The only way to tell if it's aluminum or copper is to just make a gouge somewhere in the cold plate (somewhere closer to the edge so it won't interfere with the GPU contact) and see what the color is, if it stays silver it's aluminum, and if it's orange it's copper with a nickel coating. If it's orange without needing to take a gouge, it's just pure copper. Aluminum cold plates are pretty rare, even on mediocre OEM cards like that one, but at the same time this is HP and I wouldn't be surprised at any possible corner cutting they do. 

You sure it isnt the case and poor airflow? Doubt the card itself is to blame for overheating, assuming you know what temp it needs to hit for that to actually happen.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

100% that's loaded with aluminum.

FYI:  Compared to MX-5 or other good paste, you're looking a a ~2 degree change with LM.  Don't destroy your card with LM over 2 degrees.

Thanks for the replies.

For numbers : after the gpu reaching 200w for around 5 mins,  its temp are 90°c and start to throttling down to ~135w with open pc case and ~125w with closed case while the hotspot remain ~105°c  at full load.  So that why I think it's overheated.

I guess that I just gonna use this card until I get the new one which definitely not hp oem card again. 

Just now, offweek said:

What are the fans doing?  Are they at 100% and all actually spinning?

Yes they are all spinning,  I also tweak the fans speed in MSI after burner and at the time gpu reach 90°c they are already at 100% (case opened) 

Actually I don't know even single 1xxx-3xxx card that use full copper heatsink until is not second hand card with some modification. That 99% is almiunium.

Did you spread the thermal paste to cover the whole die? Or you use pea/x method?

I'd check if the thermal paste actually spread evenly and the heatsink give enough pressure.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The card looks like an OEM that is bought and branded by Dell, HP and many others.

The heatsink looks to have a nickel plated copper base. However, on a GPU, I would absolutely avoid liquid metal. Too much hassle to comformal coat everything and avoid short circuits. Just repaste, buy some proper thermal compound and see how it goes. The difference will be minimal (at best 2-4°C compared to metal) but you won't risk damaging the card.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Main PC:

Amd Ryzen 7 5800x - Thermalright PA120SE - 32Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 - MSI x570s Torpedo Max - MSI GTX1660 Gaming X 6Gb - Kioxia Exceria 1tb NVMe Boot -Crucial MX500 500Gb - 2x 3TB WD Red - Seasonic Platinum 660W - Windows 11 Pro - Philips 32" 325E1C + 24" 243V7Q vertical

Home server:

Asrock X79 Extreme6 - Intel Xeon E5 - 2630V2 - 64Gb DDR3 ECC - Crucial 275GB Boot - 4x WD 6TB zfs - Proxmox VE as Hypervisor / Linux Mint + other distros for everything else.

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Did you spread the thermal paste to cover the whole die? Or you use pea/x method?

I'd check if the thermal paste actually spread evenly and the heatsink give enough pressure.

I think I spread the thermal paste like X method, I also measure thermal pads size too.

2 hours ago, Andrea87 said:

Yes the heatsink does look like this with just a bit different near vrms that why I'm wonder if It is copper base or aluminum. But yeah thanks to everyone here, I now understand that I should just use thermal compound which I just bought kryonaut extreme and It does help a bit. Now my card power consumption around 175w at 90*C. 

image_2022-08-27_170222917.png