Getting My HT Put Back Together

Hi all, apologies if this belong somewhere else. I did have a look around and didn't see anywhere else this might fit better, but I may have missed it. Just moved into a new house and have been getting all the HT equipment unpacked and installed. In the basement, you can tell I'm still working out a few things. I ran all the speaker wire myself in wall and in ceiling along with 5 new dedicated circuits. Given the cost of fiber HDMI, as much as I wanted the equipment in a dedicated closet the run was just too long and I didn't want to deal with any connectivity issues. Plus I already had the wire to run circuits.

Let me know what you think, if you have any questions, comments, critiques.

Cheers

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

On 8/26/2022 at 2:46 AM, King_PIN said:

DIY!

Love the Ribbons!

What's that center in the first pic?

The center is a design by Rick Craig from Selah Audio. Unfortunately he passed away last year. He was an awesome part of the DIY speaker community and I've built several of his designs. The center in the picture was actually one he hadn't completely finished when he sold it to me and I helped, through my ignorance, with the build guide. He would send me directions and I would fumble through them and tell him if things were clear or not lol. In the last 8 or so years the DIY speaker space has lost some of the best and most generous contributors, which is a shame. Especially since a couple of those guys were the only one's who really used ribbon tweeters.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, IPD said:

You've got the audio in hand.  I think you can easily go 100-120" projector screen.

In one of my old houses I had a JVC projector and 135" screen. The only reason I went with a TV this time around was for HDR and black levels at a reasonable price point. To get similar quality out of projector I'd be looking at $6-10K for the projector and then another $4K for the screen. Eventually I'll circle back to projection, hopefully laser projection at that point, but for now I guess I'll have to settle for sitting 6ft away from the tv lol.

9 minutes ago, sensai11235813 said:

The center is a design by Rick Craig from Selah Audio. Unfortunately he passed away last year. He was an awesome part of the DIY speaker community and I've built several of his designs. The center in the picture was actually one he hadn't completely finished when he sold it to me and I helped, through my ignorance, with the build guide. He would send me directions and I would fumble through them and tell him if things were clear or not lol. In the last 8 or so years the DIY speaker space has lost some of the best and most generous contributors, which is a shame. Especially since a couple of those guys were the only one's who really used ribbon tweeters.

I've done DIY for a long time especially for Subs.  My first major speakers was a build fromn the guys on HTguide.  Great people there.  

I have my next project in the closet and it's been sitting there for 7 years now as I have no room to put them once built.  

13714345_10208530961203971_695508030_n_zpse4nepxjo.jpg.6acb6705181dc9356cff90c2a4b5ce7f.jpg472.thumb.jpg.02d093754bbcc35b3c1c6c7bad04af26.jpg38879115_Untitled(3).thumb.jpg.640a6b34bbed163f5e90226c460dcc40.jpg

9 hours ago, sensai11235813 said:

In one of my old houses I had a JVC projector and 135" screen. The only reason I went with a TV this time around was for HDR and black levels at a reasonable price point. To get similar quality out of projector I'd be looking at $6-10K for the projector and then another $4K for the screen. Eventually I'll circle back to projection, hopefully laser projection at that point, but for now I guess I'll have to settle for sitting 6ft away from the tv lol.

I had a 55" 4k LED.  I guess I'm mostly indifferent to black levels--filling my FOV with a display is paramount for me.  Black levels are nice and all--but I can't go back to tiny.  And since I got my entire setup for < 5k total...I'm happy.

On 8/28/2022 at 12:32 AM, King_PIN said:

I've done DIY for a long time especially for Subs.  My first major speakers was a build fromn the guys on HTguide.  Great people there.  

I have my next project in the closet and it's been sitting there for 7 years now as I have no room to put them once built.  

13714345_10208530961203971_695508030_n_zpse4nepxjo.jpg.6acb6705181dc9356cff90c2a4b5ce7f.jpg472.thumb.jpg.02d093754bbcc35b3c1c6c7bad04af26.jpg38879115_Untitled(3).thumb.jpg.640a6b34bbed163f5e90226c460dcc40.jpg

I hear you. Those look pretty sweet, I've always wanted to try some of the horn/waveguide kits out there. I know DIYSoundgroup has Titans I think they're called that look like an interesting build. Of the kits I've had laying around forever the NaO Note II RS are at the top of the list to finally do.