Minisforum PCs are absolute garbage and they don't stand behind their 2 year warranty

I bought 3 of their PCs and

• PC 1 refuses to boot after 1 year and 8 months of perfect service.
  • PC 2 can successfully boot 1 in 50 tries otherwise you get stuck in a BIOS setup/boot loop, and it has horrible coil whine. Got about 1 year and 4 months of perfect service from it before the boot loop problem started. The coil whine started a few months after it arrived but due to where it sits, it wasn't a huge deal at the time which lead me to buying.....
  • PC 3, which was purchased as a replacement for PC 2 (due to the horrible coil whine) and wouldn't you know it............ this one developed coil whine as well.

I've tried replacing the RAM, SSD and resetting the CMOS..... nothing helped. (I know that coil whine is a hardware problem but I did all this to satisfy their useless tech support.)

Sure, their Warranty states 2 years but they told me to pound sand via email and that I was outside of their warranty period despite these systems all being less than 2 years old. If you're thinking about buying one of their systems, DON'T DO IT! Spend the extra money on an Intel NUC 11/12 with the integrated Nvidia GPU!

I doubt Chase and PayPal will be able to help, especially since it's a foreign company so it looks like I'll be dropping these pieces of junk off to an e-waste recycler. Almost $2,000 down the toilet. ;( Screw you Minisforum!

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you buy them from? 

And do you mind sharing which models?

Thanks

On 8/31/2022 at 1:43 PM, OfftHeshelF said:

Where did you buy them from? 

And do you mind sharing which models?

Thanks

I bought them directly from their website and I have some good news to report. After a few emails, they agreed to process a RMA for the PC that won't boot. I had to pay $99 for a restocking fee (due to its' age and them not having any units with that particular CPU).

Depending on how smooth this transaction goes, I'll work on getting the other two replaced.

Well, at least we now know which PC pre-builts to be aware and leery of. I tend to buy from known makers, not for desktops which I've been building for years (last one was an R9 3900X + X570 combo some 3 years back). I've not experienced any real issues with all my DIY systems, but if you were to be looking at laptops, it'd be a different matter.

That's when the warranty and good after sales service matter. Recent experience with a used Lenovo Legion 5 Pro I had gotten only reinforces my belief that some mainstream brands have very good warranty periods and after services.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 8/22/2022 at 8:13 PM, road hazard said:

I bought 3 of their PCs and

• PC 1 refuses to boot after 1 year and 8 months of perfect service.
  • PC 2 can successfully boot 1 in 50 tries otherwise you get stuck in a BIOS setup/boot loop, and it has horrible coil whine. Got about 1 year and 4 months of perfect service from it before the boot loop problem started. The coil whine started a few months after it arrived but due to where it sits, it wasn't a huge deal at the time which lead me to buying.....
  • PC 3, which was purchased as a replacement for PC 2 (due to the horrible coil whine) and wouldn't you know it............ this one developed coil whine as well.

I've tried replacing the RAM, SSD and resetting the CMOS..... nothing helped. (I know that coil whine is a hardware problem but I did all this to satisfy their useless tech support.)

Sure, their Warranty states 2 years but they told me to pound sand via email and that I was outside of their warranty period despite these systems all being less than 2 years old. If you're thinking about buying one of their systems, DON'T DO IT! Spend the extra money on an Intel NUC 11/12 with the integrated Nvidia GPU!

I doubt Chase and PayPal will be able to help, especially since it's a foreign company so it looks like I'll be dropping these pieces of junk off to an e-waste recycler. Almost $2,000 down the toilet. ;( Screw you Minisforum!

To be fair you’ve modified it which means they could just refuse you. Anything you get would be a good will gesture