Advertising

walteroloco

I understand the need for advertising, but spltting the video in half and having a 2 minute plug is really off putting. Is there any way to keep things at the beginning of the video and get it out of the way. I'm really losing enjoyment of linus's videos.

I understand the need for advertising, but spltting the video in half and having a 2 minute plug is really off putting. Is there any way to keep things at the beginning of the video and get it out of the way. I'm really losing enjoyment of linus's videos.

The sponsored spot in the middle is terrible, and if it has to be in the middle please have it be concise like the Cooler Master, Corsair, and ASUS ads that show the product, say why it's good, and are over.

I hate ads that try to be cool and instead just waste your time.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

If he did not do it then the videos would not be free and he wouldn't be able to afford all the brand new tech to review. Whats stopping you skipping 2 mins of video?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Actually, its better to have it in the middle from their point of view, because if it was at the end i would just skip right over it

If he did not do it then the videos would not be free and he wouldn't be able to afford all the brand new tech to review. Whats stopping you skipping 2 mins of video?

I lose respect for Linus when I see him promoting products, and don't feel like even watching his reviews. So is the advertising worth it to get money if people stop liking linus and don't care about his reviews?

I'm not that fussed, but then again I may be used to it as other channels use the same format. Roosterteeth podcasts have one part way in too, so I'm used to it.

It means the company gets extra income, for 2 mins of your time.

Hell, its on youtube, mute it and jump over to browse the forum for a min or skip over it.

It helps them out so I don't really mind about it.

If Linus likes a product and they come over and offer to pay him to advertise something that he already likes, I don't see a problem.

He isn't pushing crap products he doesn't actually like, he isn't advertising nvidia stuff at the start of an AMD video.

For the WAN show its like 2 mins for like an hours worth of content to watch.

If it was 2 mins of ads on a 5 min video I'd understand, but its fine the way it currently is in my opinion.

If I had to take a guess why its in the middle, could be to do with that if its at the very start you only have the audience at the start.

Leaving it to the middle lets the audience build up a bit more and that usually means more people will see it.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I'm fine with ads, I turn off adblock on the forums and on his youtube channel just to support him.

I just hate ads that last 3 full min in a 11 min video, while also being random and completely unrelated to the content he's promoting (e.g. him breaking a banana with a razor and then mixing in eggs).

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

The problem wasn't the plug, but it was that the plug was terrible to be quite honest. I know the team may have worked really hard on getting it together, but the message wasn't clearly displayed and the humour just wasn't there. I wouldn't have minded watching a 2 minute plug if it made me laugh or even possibly got a new message across, but it didn't.

Sorry, Linus, love you really, but humour isn't your punto fuerte.

Compatible with Windows 95

I guess not many of us like to watch ads, but it's not like he's putting out these videos just as a hobby.

I must confess that if the ad is at the end of the video I usually just move on to the next video... Well and efficiently executed ads are not that bad though.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I just skip the ads that are not for me like dollar shave club, unless they are really amusing.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Ad companies will only advertise if they see an uptick in profit from their advertisements. If people just tolerate the ads, and they don't actually make you buy stuff, the ads have to become more extreme as time goes on, to deliver the message. Which is what I see happening in Linus's videos. I think it's a downward spiral and will be the ruin of LMG.