G-sync causing stuttering

Cbwr

Hello

After a BIOS update (to 7B89v1I2 with the TPM stutering fix) and full reset to Windows 11 Pro (coming from 10 Pro), I've been having issues with G-sync. Desktop specs at the bottom.

With some applications open, other windows start lagging noticeably (choppiness, seemingly running at very low fps). Where it is the most noticeable and always reproducable, is when using Parsec with YouTube open on my second monitor. With Parsec open, the YouTube video lags quite heavily and Parsec itself is also choppier than usual, even before connecting to another device. I've also had similar issues with games, but are harder to reproduce.

I've since returned to Windows 10 (64-bit) and reverted my BIOS back to the version I had before (7B89v1D - AGESA 1.0.0.4) but am still experiencing the same issues. With G-sync turned off everything works like it should as before. Both Windowed + Fullscreen and Fullscreen Only modes give me the same issues. Also tried with my laptop with an NVIDIA driver from 2021 with the same results. 

Never had any problems before the reset with G-sync set to Windowed + Fullscreen. Trying the usual, like driver updates and reverts for GPU and monitors, resetting and changing monitor settings, different cables, etc. didn't help and would appreciate any solutions or suggestions.

Thanks!
-Cbwr

Desktop specs:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
- Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar (7B89v1D - AGESA 1.0.0.4)
- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Armor 11G OC (currently with driver 516.93)
- Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 2x16GB | 3200 MT/s | (KHX3200C16D4/16GX)
- PSU: Cooler Master V Series V750 (750W)
- Primary monitor (the one with G-sync): DELL S2417DG (24" 1440p 165Hz G-Sync)
- Secondary monitor: DELL P2418D (24" 1440p 60Hz)

Laptop specs: Legion 5 with an i7-10750H/RTX 2060

I assume you've checked temps too

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

9 hours ago, OddOod said:

I assume you've checked temps too

Yes, normal temps and normal loads. Nothing seems wrong there.

This is pretty weird...
When you reverted to W10, did you do a clean install? 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Yup, clean install too. I now went back to 11 again with another clean install (literally just trying anything at this point) and still have the same problems.

Use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and then download the latest ones.

• 5 months later...

Just made an account to +1 this post. 

Let's get the specs out of the way:

• Ryzen 5 5600x
  • Gigabyte RTX 3070ti Eagle
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM  (G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C16D-32GTZR)
  • EVGA 1000GQ 210-GQ-1000-V1 GQ PSU
  • Gigabyte B550 Mobo (also have a X570 and B350)
  • LG Ultrawide Freesync 144hz / Acer XFA240 Freesync 144Hz

I've noticed this issues for over a year now, I've tried everything under the sun from GPU swaps, CPU, RAM, PSU, Mobo, Wall outlets, drivers, bios, chipset drivers, etc.

Everytime I have G-Sync enabled on the NVCP, no matter what FPS limit (or even uncapped, but still under the 144 limit of my Monitor), there's always that periodic weird stutter that isn't detected by RTSS or the in game real time perf graphs.

I've tried

G-Sync+NVCP Vsync+Limited FPS

G-Sync+Ingame Vsync

G-sync+no vsync+fps limit

No matter what I do, 99% of the time the stutter is present, only when I disable gsync all together and cap my FPS to my monitors Hz does it feels 100% smooth.

Nvidia's latest GPU drivers finally made note of an open issue that I think my be the culprit ( unless I'm just ignorant and don't know what I'm talking about)

• Increase in DPC latency observed in Latencymon [3952556] 

I've noticed that Nvlddmkm.sys for the longest time (ever since I've noticed this annoying issue almost a year+ ago) has always had super aggressive spikes mere seconds into running a test. No matter if it's a fresh boot of Windows 10 (or 11), any GPU driver from the oldest supported by the OS/GPU to the latest, Mobo BIOS, etc. 

If this gets "fixed" on the next driver update and nothing changes, then I'm completely lost.

1 hour ago, Kareshi said:

Just made an account to +1 this post. 

Let's get the specs out of the way:

• Ryzen 5 5600x
  • Gigabyte RTX 3070ti Eagle
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM  (G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C16D-32GTZR)
  • EVGA 1000GQ 210-GQ-1000-V1 GQ PSU
  • Gigabyte B550 Mobo (also have a X570 and B350)
  • LG Ultrawide Freesync 144hz / Acer XFA240 Freesync 144Hz

I've noticed this issues for over a year now, I've tried everything under the sun from GPU swaps, CPU, RAM, PSU, Mobo, Wall outlets, drivers, bios, chipset drivers, etc.

Everytime I have G-Sync enabled on the NVCP, no matter what FPS limit (or even uncapped, but still under the 144 limit of my Monitor), there's always that periodic weird stutter that isn't detected by RTSS or the in game real time perf graphs.

I've tried

G-Sync+NVCP Vsync+Limited FPS

G-Sync+Ingame Vsync

G-sync+no vsync+fps limit

No matter what I do, 99% of the time the stutter is present, only when I disable gsync all together and cap my FPS to my monitors Hz does it feels 100% smooth.

Nvidia's latest GPU drivers finally made note of an open issue that I think my be the culprit ( unless I'm just ignorant and don't know what I'm talking about)

• Increase in DPC latency observed in Latencymon [3952556] 

I've noticed that Nvlddmkm.sys for the longest time (ever since I've noticed this annoying issue almost a year+ ago) has always had super aggressive spikes mere seconds into running a test. No matter if it's a fresh boot of Windows 10 (or 11), any GPU driver from the oldest supported by the OS/GPU to the latest, Mobo BIOS, etc. 

If this gets "fixed" on the next driver update and nothing changes, then I'm completely lost.

by chance.. do you have HDR turned on? 

14 hours ago, Robchil said:

by chance.. do you have HDR turned on? 

No.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2022 at 10:26 PM, Cbwr said:

Hello

After a BIOS update (to 7B89v1I2 with the TPM stutering fix) and full reset to Windows 11 Pro (coming from 10 Pro), I've been having issues with G-sync. Desktop specs at the bottom.

With some applications open, other windows start lagging noticeably (choppiness, seemingly running at very low fps). Where it is the most noticeable and always reproducable, is when using Parsec with YouTube open on my second monitor. With Parsec open, the YouTube video lags quite heavily and Parsec itself is also choppier than usual, even before connecting to another device. I've also had similar issues with games, but are harder to reproduce.

I've since returned to Windows 10 (64-bit) and reverted my BIOS back to the version I had before (7B89v1D - AGESA 1.0.0.4) but am still experiencing the same issues. With G-sync turned off everything works like it should as before. Both Windowed + Fullscreen and Fullscreen Only modes give me the same issues. Also tried with my laptop with an NVIDIA driver from 2021 with the same results. 

Never had any problems before the reset with G-sync set to Windowed + Fullscreen. Trying the usual, like driver updates and reverts for GPU and monitors, resetting and changing monitor settings, different cables, etc. didn't help and would appreciate any solutions or suggestions.

Hi, recently I found a fix for this issue. Read the full Reddit thread here

Basically you need to add individual 3D settings for the apps that are laggy in the Nvidia control panel.

Sorry I don't have the English translations for these settings but maybe you can read the thread to make more sense of it all.

Add an app, then change "monitor refresh tech" to "fixed" (you can shoose between gsync, ulmb, and fixed), save, then go back to gsync, save again. Restart app. This somehow makes gsync work properly again.

• 8 months later...

I understand that this is an old thread but i would like to add some insight.

I have been seemingly having the same problem for years with Gsync and computers etc..

and i have limited the possibilities down to static shock as the only possible and reasonable explanation for Gsync losing its calibration. 

When i static shock my keyboard well enough, the monitor with disconnect and then reconnect. All seems pretty standard i guess, until you notice the stuttering and what almost seems like Gsync is preparing frames either just before or just after where they should be. 

Turns out the only way to fix it is to re shock it until it resets.. 

I've been chasing this problem since gsync was released and this is literally the only way to fix it. No amount of hardware changes or power cycles will fix this issue